KCS "DF" Boxcar

Ed Hawkins

thekays100@... [STMFC] wrote:

Good point. I should have been more specific.

The car shown in the photo is a 40' plug door car, painted box car red. The lettering to the left of the door is minimal. Reporting marks "K.C.S." Car Number 1701, and data. Right of the door, a big rectangle with DF inside and the word "insulated" beneath, and the data. The lettering looks like it is white, and all is in Roman Style.
I am lousy at identifying car builders, etc., but this car has a "bowtie" style roof.
Of course, I have no way of knowing if the model is correct!
Stephen,
The description helps. The prototype cars were 5 PS-1 insulated box cars, KCS 1700-1704, built ca. 8-60 with 8' door openings & plug doors. Pullman-Standard built about 223 cars of this general type in July-September 1960 for CGW, KCS, Merchants Despatch (NRBX and NYRX reporting marks), and a single car for Trans-Leasing, TLCX 10. The roof and ends were proprietary components made by Pullman-Standard. Given these box cars were insulated, the PS-1 roof was the Z-U eave design as was typical on insulated box cars and reefers.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

hubert mask

Only offer this car in the 50 version as far as decals

Mask Island Decals .com

Hubert Mask.

On Feb 8, 2016, at 8:55 PM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

"I came upon a photo in my files of a model of a 40-foot boxcar with interesting markings. It is a Kansas City Southern car, with "DF" in a rectangle to the right of the door. Since this photo was saved from someone's posted photos from a Prototype Modelers' Show somewhere, I do not feel comfortable posting it here, but I am interested in modeling this car. I have checked the ususal decal sources and cannot find the lettering for this."

"40 ft boxcar model" is really vague. Any other information - car number, type of boxcar? My Carnac the Magnificent imitation is pretty bad.

Ben Hom

StephenK

Good point.   I should have been more specific.

The car  shown in the photo is a 40' plug door car, painted box car red.   The lettering to the left of the door is minimal.   Reporting marks  "K.C.S." Car Number 1701, and data.    Right of the door, a big rectangle with  DF inside and the word "insulated" beneath, and the data.   The lettering looks like it is white, and all is in Roman Style.

I am lousy at identifying car builders, etc., but this car has a "bowtie" style roof.

Of course, I have no way of knowing if the model is correct!

S Kay

Benjamin Hom

[...]

I suppose I could piece this together but I would need more info.   Before I go that route I would like to make sure that a decal set doesn't exist.

Does anyone know if these decals are available?

Stephen Kay