seeking reference: original specs: USRA 50 ton SS boxcar

Robert kirkham

I’m trying to save a little time – Can anyone on-list provide a reference (year, publication, page number) (I think 1917 Railway Age? or similar magazine) containing the original specifications of the USRA 50 ton SS boxcars?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Rupert & Maureen <gamlenz@...>

Rob

Railway Mechanical Engineer April 1918 volume 92 page 195, (a.k.a. Railway Locomotives and Cars volume 92) http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015013032779;view=1up;seq=209

also in the 1919 CBC page 981.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

From: "Robert Kirkham rdkirkham@... [STMFC]"
Date:02/20/2016 22:50 (GMT-08:00)
To: STMFC@...

I’m trying to save a little time – Can anyone on-list provide a reference (year, publication, page number) (I think 1917 Railway Age? or similar magazine) containing the original specifications of the USRA 50 ton SS boxcars?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

riverman_vt@...

Rod,

    The best suggestion I can offer to you is to find a copy of the 1922 Car Builders
Cyclopedia and invest in it. In doing so you will have drawings and specification for
the USRA 40 ton double-sheathed boxcars, the 40 and 50 ton USRA single-sheathed
cars that you seek, the 50 ton USRA all steel boxcar AND A BONUS in the CPR
variation of the USRA single-sheathed car with the grain hopper that initiated your
current research,

   I am fortunate to have eight Car Builders Cyclopedias spaced out from 1919 to
1961 and believe I would be absolutely lost without them. I would love to fill out
what I have with one from 1925 or 1928 but expect one will be found sooner or
later. I use them far more often than my half dozen Locobuilders Cycs. The
Carbuilders Cycs. are worth their weight in gold, in my opinion, especially for
the era that folks like you and I model.

My best, Don Valentine

Dave Sarther

,Rupert,

A always thanks for sharing this great resource.

Later,  Dave Sarther      Tucson, AZ

I’m trying to save a little time – Can anyone on-list provide a reference (year, publication, page number) (I think 1917 Railway Age? or similar magazine) containing the original specifications of the USRA 50 ton SS boxcars?
Thanks in advance,
Rob Kirkham

Robert kirkham

Great help – thank you Rupert!

I’m trying to save a little time – Can anyone on-list provide a reference (year, publication, page number) (I think 1917 Railway Age? or similar magazine) containing the original specifications of the USRA 50 ton SS boxcars?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Robert kirkham

Fair point Claus: I was looking for the articles describing the cars construction in detail – more or less the technical description to be shared with others in the industry, not the description for sourcing parts or assembling car per se.  Rupert’s reference material was exactly what I had in mind.

Rob

I’m trying to save a little time – Can anyone on-list provide a reference (year, publication, page number) (I think 1917 Railway Age? or similar magazine) containing the original specifications of the USRA 50 ton SS boxcars?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Schuyler Larrabee

Claus . . .

Expanding “TSC” would help those of us who don’t remember every set of initials . . .

Schuyler

I’m trying to save a little time – Can anyone on-list provide a reference (year, publication, page number) (I think 1917 Railway Age? or similar magazine) containing the original specifications of the USRA 50 ton SS boxcars?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi Schuyler and List Members,

Train Shed Cyc, of course!

Claus Schlund

Expanding “TSC” would help those of us who don’t remember every set of initials . . .

Schuyler

I’m trying to save a little time – Can anyone on-list provide a reference (year, publication, page number) (I think 1917 Railway Age? or similar magazine) containing the original specifications of the USRA 50 ton SS boxcars?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Douglas Harding

The 1946 Car Builders Cyclopedia, along with other publications of interest, are available on DVD from http://www.vintageliterature.ca/cat_railroading.cfm