Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Trucks

     Speaking of trucks, I just completed a new blog post, describing a way to make the Chrysler FR5-D trucks in HO scale, with a superb casting by Ross Dando. If you're interested, here is a link to that blog post:

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Sam

Charge $15.95 for it :-) I'm sure folks in this crowd would
be happy to pay for an accurate Chrysler truck!

At 2/26/2016 02:19 PM Friday, you wrote:

Hello group,

We're paying attention to these truck comments so don't loose hope. Presently, new trucks are an "as time allows" project but hopefully we'll get around to doing more trucks in our HGC material.  However, the Chrysler truck is questionable. We looked at doing this truck but the protruding shock absorber is problematic with simple mold making. To make it look right it would require a complicated slide to do the detail behind the top of the shock absorber or a separate snap in (or glued in) part and this would certainly add to the cost of the truck. If you plan ahead with enough foresight, truck molds are made with inserts that can be changed out for the different sideframes but with the extended shock absorber a new mold or at least a new additional mold for the separate piece will have to be made.

Sam Clarke
Kadee Quality Products

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Charge $15.95 for it :-) I'm sure folks in this crowd would
be happy to pay for an accurate Chrysler truck!

        Gee, Tim, at least SOME of us are far hungrier for HGC  Vulcans and Andrews trucks first. The Chrysler truck wasn't used all that widely, and besides, we now have a way to model them with the Dando castings. I did go through Richard Hendrickson's solution for any kind of "real sprung" trucks, to remove the springs, add a small square of styrene to hold the bolster in location, then harvest some cast springs from another "rigid" truck to glue into the hole in the sideframe. Not especially eager to do all that again, though I have to say, it does work and does look FAR better.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Charles Peck

No doubt 20, 50, maybe a hundred of us would pay that much.  Some maybe would buy two or three pair.
Probably not anybody who has bought a Baby Ruth boxcar.
I admire Kadee. They're American manufacturers. What they do, they do very well,  and I depend
on them.  Let's hope they keep making products that sell well enough to keep them in business.
A Kadee product can be found on every one of my freight car models.  Years ago I put a pair
of Kadee couplers in the defect card holder of a prototype boxcar.  So at least one prototype
car has carried a pair of Kadees.
Go Sam, go.
Chuck Peck in FL
(See Boss? No criticizing of a manufacturer!)

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Sam

Charge $15.95 for it :-) I'm sure folks in this crowd would
be happy to pay for an accurate Chrysler truck!

​

Tim O'Connor

Tony

well, you know, to each his own... :-) I was very happy with the Tahoe Andrews
truck, and for some cars I'm fine with Accurail's nicely done Andrews. Vulcans
are way cool, but too early for me. No interest.

I can easily use 6 to 10 pairs of Chrysler trucks. There were some interesting
truck swaps after the 1950's...

Tim O'Connor wrote:

well, you know, to each his own... :-) I was very happy with the Tahoe Andrews
truck, and for some cars I'm fine with Accurail's nicely done Andrews. Vulcans
are way cool, but too early for me. No interest.

     I am more than happy with the Tahoe USRA Andrews truck, and as you say, the Accurail version is good too. The Kadee is a DIFFERENT truck, and some may say, "who cares," but the answer is, SP fans. The SP used the long-tie-bar style on a bunch of cars, including work equipment quite late. So they are NOT interchangeable, Tim, despite what you apparently think.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Dear Tony

ah well, my indifference extends to Andrews variations as well. :-)

I have a couple pairs of the metal Kadee Andrews trucks. since MofW
equipment is just scenery, they don't need to be good rollers, so the
metal ones work for me. ;-)