Topics

Railroad paint subsitutes?

Fred Jansz

Hi folks,

Since I'm living 'over the pond' in Europe I have a paint issue.
TruColor and Scalecoat won't ship to The Netherlands because solvent based paints are considered 'hazardous goods' bad people make bombs from.... (how low do we have to bow?).

As a consequence these fine pre-mixed faithful railroad colors are out of my reach.
I have a bunch of kits waiting to be build and painted, but when I can't paint them in the right RR brown or red or oxide colors, what's the point of building a craftsman kit at all?

So the Q is: is there a way to 'convert' TruColor or Scalecoat RR colors to let's say Vallejo (which is a popular modeling paint overhere) or other brand?
Vallejo offers weathering colors like sand, dust, mud, rust, etc. But not the specific US RR colors.
Any tips?

Thanks for your help, best regards, Fred Jansz

Pierre Oliver

Fred,
To be clear the issue isn't terrorists, it's the regulations the common carriers have to adhere to. To ship "hazardous" materials across international borders, like solvent based products, and alcohol based stains fit in this category as well, the drivers are required to be "licensed" to another level. The post offices and the courier companies will not pay the drivers for the added level of training or certification required to move such products across the borders.
That all being said of you seen this,   https://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/Floquil%20Color%20Chart.pdf
While not all the colours are covered it's a good start. Lots of Vallejo and Tamiya paints in there
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 2/26/16 4:38 AM, fred@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

Mark Stamm

Microscale has a chart on their website that lists alternatives for Floquil railroad colors it includes some Vallejo options.

Mark P Stamm
Mark at Euphoriatt dot Com

Sent from my mobile device

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 2/26/2016 3:39 AM, Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC] wrote:
The post offices and the courier companies will not pay the drivers for the added level of training

    Europe is small, it's not like going from the east to the west here.  Why not just drive to where you can get a case of various colors?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Pierre Oliver

Cause the suppliers can't ship it to Europe cause they can't get it out of the country without paying very high shipping fees, if they can find a shipper to take the small volume. It's not like a container load of spray bombs.
On 2/26/16 9:49 AM, Jon Miller atsfus@... [STMFC] wrote:

On 2/26/2016 3:39 AM, Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC] wrote:
The post offices and the courier companies will not pay the drivers for the added level of training

    Europe is small, it's not like going from the east to the west here.  Why not just drive to where you can get a case of various colors?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

A&Y Dave in MD

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Feb 26, 2016, at 9:49 AM, Jon Miller atsfus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

On 2/26/2016 3:39 AM, Pierre Oliver pierre.oliver@... [STMFC] wrote:
The post offices and the courier companies will not pay the drivers for the added level of training

    Europe is small, it's not like going from the east to the west here.  Why not just drive to where you can get a case of various colors?

Not sure you were directing your comment to original poster or Pierre, but Pierre is in Canada and was commenting on correct cause for the problem, not a suggested solution.

I think there are enough European modelers of American roads that some kind of package deal might be a solution.  There are plenty of workarounds to the problem. Another is to use U.S. water based acrylics with railroad colors like Badger Modelflex, which do not have delivery restrictions. Another is what our friend Eric Hansmann has done--create color swatches of Vallejo paints using various colors and mixtures compared against photos and keep notes (see his blog http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/?s=Vallejo ).

Dave

SamClarke

Hello,

Have you tried Humbrol paints, now owned by Hornby?  They are made in Europe and should be available most anywhere over there. Many years ago I used Humbrol paints for military modeling and back then they had a huge selection of colors.

Sam Clarke R&D

Kadee Quality Products

paul.doggett2472 <paul.doggett2472@...>

There's nothing of much use to the American modeler in the Humbrol range apart from the weathering paints.
Paul

Sent from Samsung mobile

"mail@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hello,

Have you tried Humbrol paints, now owned by Hornby?  They are made in Europe and should be available most anywhere over there. Many years ago I used Humbrol paints for military modeling and back then they had a huge selection of colors.

Sam Clarke R&D

Kadee Quality Products

Curt Fortenberry

As an aside, some acrylics, like Tamiya, are still flammable (says so on the jar and the MSDS).  I know here in the US you can still ship them ground (US Mail), or pay higher hazmat fees for UPS and Fedex.

Curt Fortenberry

qmp211

Fred & All,

You have to dig but you can find a lot of cross reference 'guide' information from this list.

Randy Danniel

Floquil Paint to Military Color Conversion Chart V1.2 from Model Railroad Hobbyist
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/14152

Revell Germany Paint Cross Reference Guide to Testors, Pollyscale, Modelmaster
http://downloads.hobbico.com/misc/rmx/TES_Revell_Paint_Match_Guide.pdf

Humbrol Wallchart and online Paint Reference Selector
http://www.humbrol.com/us-en/converthumbrol

Vallejo Equivalent Values
http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/0049261608364909a238add9b4a53745/CC073-rev05.pdf

Scale Model Paint Charts