Somewhat Enhanced kit C&NW riveted side 40' PS-1 box car

Andy Carlson

Hi-
If anyone is interested in building a C&NW riveted side Ps-1 40' box car I have an HO "somewhat" Enhanced undec kit. A real nice construction article with a good data table is in the 1st issue of Railway Prototype Cyclopedia, Vol. 1, pages 48-58. Photos are good and cover all of the  series of riveted PS-1 CNW 40' box cars.

I say "somewhat" enhanced kit as the underframe will not be accurate, and though Richard Hendrickson said unless he was modeling a train derailment, he didn't need to model anything under the floor which doesn't show from normal viewing angles (Though I have seen some of Richard's models which countered this dictum). Unfortunately, I don't have the correct PS-1 ladders, though with some flat wire a STMFC'er could create his own accurate corner steps which attach to the ladder styles. Also, the article mentions carving the ribs on the lower side of the end of the roofs to clear the inside car body bulkhead.It is much easier and quicker to simply use a pair of rail nippers to cut of about 1/4 inch off the top of the bulkheads. It doesn't need to be pretty as this is all covered. The ends of all of the IMRC 10'6" house cars are interchangeable with the pegs lining up perfectly with the holes.

The builder will also need to reshape the side sill tabs which is mentioned in the article with pictures.
Here is what I have:

C&NW # 401-625 (225 cars) built 6-52 through 1953. PS-1 ends had the 6 rectangles at the peak of the ends and the roof had the "bowtie" raised panel on all sections of the roof. The PS-1 ends had no poling pockets and no corner tabs at all. Doors were 5 panel Superior and had Ajax power brakes and Apex Tri-Lock running boards. Three makes of trucks were used; National C1, ASF A3 ride control, and Barber S2A.
CNW Enhance kit #1, the CNW #401-625, blt 6-52+.

1 Intermountain 40' riveted modified AAR 10'6" IH undec box car kit
1 Intermountain 40' PS-1 roof
1 pair of IMRC PS-1 ends (From the 50' PS-1 kits)
1 pair of South West Scale Superior 5 panel doors
1 Grandt Line AB brake set
1 IMRC Ajax power brake sprue
1 IMRC Apex Tri-Lock etched metal running board
1 pair of Branchline Barber S2A trucks with IMRC semi-scale wheel sets
1 pair of Tahoe Model Works truck brake rigging with brake shoes for retro-fitting to the Barber Trucks
The above kit #1 is $41, shipping to US addresses included.

CNW Enhanced kit #2, the CNW #6200-7398 (even numbers), blt 7-51
The ends have no poling pockets, has the 6 rectangulars at the top The PS-1 roof had all raised panels.

1 IMRC 40' Modified AAR box car 10'6" IH Undec kit
1 IMRC PS-1 roof
1 pair of IMRC PS-1 ends
1 pair of South West Scale 7 panel superior doors with wide 3rd panel
1 Grandt Line AB brake set
1 IMRC Ajax power brake sprue
1 IMRC Apex Tri-Lock etched metal running board
1 pr Kato ASF A3 ride control trucks
This kit, CNW #2 is $43, shipping included

CNW Enhanced kit #3, the CNW #86300-87298 (even numbers), blt 9-48 The ends have poling pockets, none of the 6 rectangles for the top of the end. The PS-1 end has 1 flat panel on each end.

1 IMRC 40' modified AAR box car 10'6" IH undec kit
1 IMRC PS-1 roof
1 pair of IMRC PS-1 ends
1 pair of South West Scale 7 panel superior doors with wide 2nd panel
1 Grandt Line AB brake set
1 IMRC Ajax power brake sprue
1 IMRC 40' etched metal Apex Tri-Lock running board
1 pr Kato ASF A3 ride control truck
This kit, CNW #3 is $43, shipping included

************Please note: I have only ONE each of these kits until I get more IMRC roofs.

I have an extra RPC Vol. 1 if someone would like to purchase it for $20, shipping included.
I accept checks and money orders. With a small fee, I accept PayPal for payment. Contact me off-list (Please) for ordering or for questions at
Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Tim O'Connor

Riveted post-1950 40' C&NW PS-1's

CNW series    1-  625 blt 1953 6' Youngstown
CNW series 6200- 7398 blt 1951 6' 7p Superior (even #)
CNW series 7400-10098 blt 1951 6' Youngstown  (even #)

What was different about the underframe compared to other PS-1 cars?

Tim O'

[...]

Andy

Ah, sorry, nevermind -- Yahoo randomly truncates long posts so 2/3 of your
post was chopped off. I retrieved the rest of it from the STMFC web site...

Tim O'

If anyone is interested in building a C&NW riveted side Ps-1 40' box car I have an HO "somewhat" Enhanced undec kit. A real nice construction article with a good data table is in the 1st issue of Railway Prototype Cyclopedia, Vol. 1, pages 48-58. Photos are good and cover all of the  series of riveted PS-1 CNW 40' box cars.

Andy Carlson

Tim-
You asked about the differences of the PS-1 and AAR underframes.
I don't think any of the PS-1 box car underframes had the 4 diagonal pressed steel structural members which went from the bolster/center sill area to the outside corners such as found on the AAR design underframes (Red Caboose and Intermountain).

Earlier PS-1 cars had 2 stringers per side extending the whole length of the car, end sill to end sill. Later, the underframes went to 3 stringers per side with only 2 of them going end sill to end sill. With some styrene strips the Intermountain's underframe, with the closely spaced pair of stringers, can acquire the 3rd stringer and will be close to the correct spacing. The 2 stringers between the bolster and end sill would require more work. The diagonal structural pieces mentioned earlier would need to be carved off before the 2 pair of styrene stringers were added.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Andy,

In an old message from the freightcars group, Tim O'Connor noted that the 1948 C&O PS-1s had AAR-style underframes. These would have been C&O 15000-15999, with 6' doors. Perhaps some of the other early production also had these underframes.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/29/16 8:59 AM, Andy Carlson midcentury@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

David Sieber

Gentlemen, per the Detailing Chronology on page 58 of RPCyc #1, the underframes on early PS-1s built through 1949 had AAR welded underframes with two stringers; the Pullman-Standard proprietary underframe was first applied in 1950, with three stringers.  That table is an invaluable resource to modelers of early PS-1s.  HRH, Dave Sieber, Reno NV

Tim O'Connor

Ah!

Andy, at this point in my life I'm not sweating stringers -- Ever since
IMWX screwed up the stringers on their otherwise perfect 1937 AAR box car
(and copied by other manufacturers!) I decided that I would have to forego
correct stringers on freight cars unless I just got really lucky.

I knew some pre-1950 PS-1 box cars had AAR underframes and I know there
were subtle changes to PS-1 underframes after 1950, but in general if the
kit is wrong, I just leave it that way. Many Sunshine kits have underframe
errors or omissions too, so resin kits are no panacea either.

On the rail-trail where I walk & bike, there is a 50 foot former B&M PS-1
box car standing on its end (it was put there for local fire fighter practice)
and I can tell you there are some steel castings that are not found on ANY
PS-1 model I have ever seen. Oh, well!

Tim O'Connor

P.S. I attended one of Jack Spencer's clinics at Naperville where he showed
how to use the DETAILED equipment diagrams and drawings to faithfully model
a correct underframe. On almost ANY car you name it would take hours, maybe
days, of research and work to get the details exactly right for a prototype.
I remember Hendrickson was doing eye-rolls ! :-)

[...]

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

P.S. I attended one of Jack Spencer's clinics at Naperville where he showed
how to use the DETAILED equipment diagrams and drawings to faithfully model
a correct underframe. On almost ANY car you name it would take hours, maybe
days, of research and work to get the details exactly right for a prototype.
I remember Hendrickson was doing eye-rolls ! :-)

      And Richard wasn't the only one . . . I have huge admiration for Jack's underframe modeling, but it's one of those things that I have simply put to one side, so that other goals can be accomplished. Naturally YMMV.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim

Hi Group,

Does anyone know are there decals available for these cars?

Thanks,

Tim Alund

If anyone is interested in building a C&am p;NW riveted side Ps-1 40' box car I have an HO "somewhat" Enhanced undec kit. A real nice construction article with a good data table is in the 1st issue of Railway Prototype Cyclopedia, Vol. 1, pages 48-58. Photos are good and cover all of the  series of riveted PS-1 CNW 40' box cars.

[...]

I accept checks and money orders. With a small fee, I accept PayPal for payment. Contact me off-list (Please) for ordering or for questions at <midcentury@...>
Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor timboconnor@comcast.net [STMFC] wrote:

Ah!
Andy, at this point in my life I'm not sweating stringers -- Ever since
IMWX screwed up the stringers on their otherwise perfect 1937 AAR box car
(and copied by other manufacturers!) I decided that I would have to forego
correct stringers on freight cars unless I just got really lucky.
Tim & Andy,
Regarding the IMWX/RC or other versions of the 1937 AAR box car, it should be noted that like most other "standard cars," there were differences in the design that evolved over time. A couple of years ago I looked at every general arrangement and brake arrangement drawing available for ACF box cars built from 1934 through the 1950s. From this information is the portion that applied to box cars of the 1937 AAR design.

ACF built approximately 9,397 box cars conforming to the 1937 AAR design, and there were several variations involving the stringers.

The cars built from 1936 through May 1941 had 2 stringers, accounting for 5,512 cars. Of these, 3,503 cars had 2 stringers extending from bolster to bolster and diagonal bracing between the bolsters and end sills. The balance of 2,009 cars had 2 stringers from end to end and lacking the diagonal bracing. These two variants were essentially random throughout the 6 years.

In 1941, 850 cars built for Van Sweringen roads C&O, NKP, PM (July to Oct. 1941) and one car for the U.S. Navy built in 4-42 had an unusual variation with 4 stringers between the crossbearers, 2 stringers between the crossbearers and bolsters, and diagonal bracing between the bolsters and end sills.

The design changed effective with ACF lot 2300 (L&N cars built ca. 9-41) through lot 2714 (DL&W cars built in 1944), whereby 3.034 cars all had 4 stringers from end to end and lacking diagonal bracing.

Incidentally, there were also variations in the truck center dimensions. Most cars had 30'-8 1/2" truck centers, which was the A.A.R. design standard dimension for 1937 AAR box cars. Variations included ATSF Bx-27 cars with Duryea underframes with (30'-10 7/8"), two orders totaling 400 cars built in early 1941 for ITC & WLE (30'-10"), and two NP orders totaling 1,500 cars built ca. 3-40 & 5-41 (31'-1 7/8"). In the immediate postwar years, the 30'-10" truck center dimension phased in as the new A.A.R. standard dimension, but again, not without some variations.

Just passing this information along for inquiring minds. :)
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Todd Sullivan

Hi Andy,

I am very interested in a CNW riveted PS-1 kits #3 (first priority) or #2 (second priority).

To assist with your efforts, I have 2 of the IMRC 10'-6" AAR boxcar kits and 3 of the 10'-0" 1937 AAR boxcar Red Caboose kits (round corners; I have another with square corners) that I would be willing to put into the effort to help produce these neat model kits you keep pulling together.  I would be willing to ship them to you, and would ask for some compensation for providing them - maybe a free kit or two?  I'm flexible on terms, and I'm sure you would be fair.

Let me know what you think of my offer.

Thanks,

Todd Sullivan
Liverpool, NY

[...]

Oooops.  I'm red faced - that email was supposed to go to Andy Carlson only.

My apologies.

Todd Sullivan
Liverpool, NY