Topics

canopy cement/plastic kit from hell

Bill Welch

I doubt it. They use it for the canopy because it will not blemish the clear canopy like CA or the liquids like MEK, Testors, Tennex, Tamiya etc. that they would use for the rest of the aircraft.

Bill

ed_mines

Advice well taken but the canopy glue worked great without any washing.

Do airplane modelers use canopy glue in place of the stinky old model airplane glue?

Ed Mines

thmsdmpsy

I think you need to clean the mold release from the kit, my felt greasy so that's what I did.  Tom Dempsey, Spokane, WA

I used Testor’s liquid cement on mine.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 10:27 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] canopy cement/plastic kit from hell

I'm not surprised Central Valley had only one injection molded freight car kit.

The parts are very nice but getting them together is a lot of work. The plastic is hard to cut/sand. Plastruct solvent cement works, but evaporates almost immediately.

Neither Ambroid or Duco cement held the parts I had to fiddle with. Trying everything I could think of (even took out the dreaded tube of Goo) I tried Pacer canopy cement and it worked like a charm.

Used the canopy cement to put on the roof walk and it worked great.

I just hope the canopy cement paints OK, unlike white glue.

That plastic would be good for stirrup steps. It's definitely not ordinary styrene.

Ed Mines

ed_mines