Covered hopper

SUVCWORR@...

What is the approximate date that the various shades of gray became the defacto standard color for covered hoppers?   It seems to be with the introduction of the PS-2 2003 cf cars.

Rich Orr

Tim O'Connor

Rich

I think it was after the 1954 Supreme Court decision that struck down
discrimination based on the color of covered hoppers.

Honestly, was that a serious question?

Tim O'Connor

What is the approximate date that the various shades of gray became the defacto standard color for covered hoppers? It seems to be with the introduction of the PS-2 2003 cf cars.
Rich Orr

SUVCWORR@...

Tim,

I appreciate the humor in your response.  It was an earnest question.  There is an ongoing dispute at the Western Pennsylvania Model Railroad museum about the correct color to use on the home road covered hoppers made by converting open top hoppers to covered.  The cars were theoretically built in 1939.  Some insist they need to be gray.    Others point out that early covered hoppers were for the most part the "normal" freight car color for the roads fleet.  For example the PRR covered hoppers were freight car color until the change in paint scheme circa 1953 with the introduction of synthetic pigment paint and abandonment of natural pigments.

Evidence would seem to point to "gray" becoming the universal color, with some noted exceptions, for covered hoppers with the introduction of the 2 bay PS-2.

Rich Orr

I think it was after the 1954 Supreme Court decision that struck down
discrimination based on the color of covered hoppers.

Honestly, was that a serious question?

Tim O'Connor

>What is the approximate date that the various shades of gray became the defacto standard color for covered hoppers? It seems to be with the introduction of the PS-2 2003 cf cars.
>Rich Orr

------------------------------------
Posted by: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
STMFC-digest@...
STMFC-fullfeatured@...

rdgbuff56

The Reading's first conversions were black as were their hoppers.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

------------------------------------
Posted by: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
STMFC-digest@...
STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Remember RAILWAY PROTOTYPE CYCLOPEDIA? If you guys had looked there, you might have noted that some covered hoppers delivered as early as 1940 were gray (L&N and ACL, just to name two from that time). The gray color had NOTHING to do with the PS-1s. Up through the late 1940s, a significant number of covered hoppers for cement service were delivered in black, and some were in various shades of red oxide. Black continued to be a favorite color for covered hoppers carrying chemicals.

Come on gang: try using our wonderful resources before posting idle speculation.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

------------------------------------
Posted by: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
STMFC-digest@...
STMFC-fullfeatured@...

John Evans

I'm no authority but I would think the color choice would have a lot to do with the commodity carried. Cement was one of the earliest and looks worse when spilled on a dark colored car body. Witness the Lackawanna's black cars for cement. Most others here in NE PA were gray although LV did repaint some red in the 60's.

John Evans
Easton, PA

------------------------------------
Posted by: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
STMFC-digest@...
STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Dennis Storzek

And conversely, the Soo Line never adopted gray, their cement cars remained FCR their entire lives.

Dennis Storzek