Gilbert-Nelson data from the Jan 45 ORER

John Barry

I've just completed tabulating the freight car fleet as documented in the Jan 45 Official Railway Equipment Register and composed a short blog post about it here:

Enjoy,

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

Mat Thompson

John,

You have far, far more diligence than I but the data is interesting. I didn’t find a code anywhere for all the cars types – did I miss it?

I don’t do anything as thoughtful and elaborate as you but do pay attention to the types of cars and the road names on my layout because I believe the “right look” helps to tell the story. Here are my numbers:

OCRR

76

25%

Pacific Northwest

68

23%

54%

West (UP, SP, ATSF,MIL, PFE

49

16%

70%

East

20

7%

77

Reefers

40

13%

91

Tank Cars

48

16%

100

301

100%

Auto Box

19

6%

Box

67

22%

Stock

20

7%

Chip Car

6

2%

Exp Reefer

6

2%

Flat

24

8%

Gon

6

2%

Hopper

30

10%

Log

26

9%

Milk Reefer

3

1%

Reefer

53

18%

Tanker

41

14%

301

100%

I just sold about 30 heavy bunker type log cars – all were OCRs so there subtraction had a big impact on both my road name numbers and car type numbers.

Mat

I've just completed tabulating the freight car fleet as documented in the Jan 45 Official Railway Equipment Register and composed a short blog post about it here:

Enjoy,

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines

Golden Gates & Fast Freights

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736

Washington, DC 20026-4736

A&Y Dave in MD

Well done! And though I don't model your time period, it is a great framework for my own use of ORERs in 1934.

I'm wondering if your Excel index would be close enough for me to save keying a lot on headings, even if I have to change page numbers?

 I model the Southern's Winston-Salem division. The conductor's log shows the home/foreign road ratio varied tremendously by line and train. Overall home road was about 50%, but on fairly low traffic branch lines with foci on a few big industries it neared 65%. On the line connecting two cities where Southern dominated one and the N&W dominated the other, the home / foreign road mix was closer to 35% in shorter trains. Many of the trains though were transfers between the Southern (receiving home and foreign empties for points north and east) and the N&W (receiving home road empties for local redistribution) on a different line. On this line 45-55 cars pulled by a Mikado was not unusual since the grade was mostly flat and the cars were mostly empty.  I have yet to combine the conductor reports with ORER to fit my layout needs, but I'm getting closer.  I like how you used the ORER.

We need to get the next generation of digitized ORERs with such indices out there, but it has to be a "labor of love" since the market is barely there for photocopied images.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Mar 27, 2016, at 3:18 PM, John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I've just completed tabulating the freight car fleet as documented in the Jan 45 Official Railway Equipment Register and composed a short blog post about it here:

Enjoy,

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

Dave Nelson

I have the April 1950 ORER transcribed and loaded into a relational database (which I used extensively when I was doing research on trying to prove my theory on car distribution).  FWIW I also have a fair bit of data from the ICC’s !% waybill analysis, which, along with a 1950 census, led to discovering how much the people in Illinois liked bananas, that people in North Dakota LOVED hard liquor and that people in Wyoming eschewed all that fresh produce that traveled thru the state in favor of a lot of dried beans.

I had always wished it could go online as a queryable database so it could be used as I use it – a backend to Excel combined with Excel’s Cube – creating a rudimentary OLAP tool.  While I do have a web site, with databases, I do not have the technical skills to do more than I have already done.

Dave Nelson