Gilbert-Nelson data from the Jan 45 ORER

John Barry

I've just completed tabulating the freight car fleet as documented in the Jan 45 Official Railway Equipment Register and composed a short blog post about it here:

Enjoy,

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

Mat Thompson

John,

You have far, far more diligence than I but the data is interesting. I didn’t find a code anywhere for all the cars types – did I miss it?

I don’t do anything as thoughtful and elaborate as you but do pay attention to the types of cars and the road names on my layout because I believe the “right look” helps to tell the story. Here are my numbers:

OCRR

25%

Pacific Northwest

23%

54%

West (UP, SP, ATSF,MIL, PFE

16%

70%

East

7%

Reefers

13%

Tank Cars

16%

100%

Auto Box

6%

Box

22%

Stock

7%

Chip Car

2%

Exp Reefer

2%

Flat

8%

Gon

2%

Hopper

10%

Log

9%

Milk Reefer

1%

Reefer

18%

Tanker

14%

100%

I just sold about 30 heavy bunker type log cars – all were OCRs so there subtraction had a big impact on both my road name numbers and car type numbers.

Mat

Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2016 3:19 PM
To: stmfc@...; SANTAFE Discussion List; ATSF@...; Opsig Yahoo Group; airops@...
Cc: Doug Gurin; Mat Thompson
Subject: Gilbert-Nelson data from the Jan 45 ORER

I've just completed tabulating the freight car fleet as documented in the Jan 45 Official Railway Equipment Register and composed a short blog post about it here:

Enjoy,

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

A&Y Dave in MD

Well done! And though I don't model your time period, it is a great framework for my own use of ORERs in 1934. 

I'm wondering if your Excel index would be close enough for me to save keying a lot on headings, even if I have to change page numbers?

I model the Southern's Winston-Salem division. The conductor's log shows the home/foreign road ratio varied tremendously by line and train. Overall home road was about 50%, but on fairly low traffic branch lines with foci on a few big industries it neared 65%. On the line connecting two cities where Southern dominated one and the N&W dominated the other, the home / foreign road mix was closer to 35% in shorter trains. Many of the trains though were transfers between the Southern (receiving home and foreign empties for points north and east) and the N&W (receiving home road empties for local redistribution) on a different line. On this line 45-55 cars pulled by a Mikado was not unusual since the grade was mostly flat and the cars were mostly empty.  I have yet to combine the conductor reports with ORER to fit my layout needs, but I'm getting closer.  I like how you used the ORER. 

We need to get the next generation of digitized ORERs with such indices out there, but it has to be a "labor of love" since the market is barely there for photocopied images.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Mar 27, 2016, at 3:18 PM, John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Enjoy,

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

Dave Nelson

I have the April 1950 ORER transcribed and loaded into a relational database (which I used extensively when I was doing research on trying to prove my theory on car distribution).  FWIW I also have a fair bit of data from the ICC’s !% waybill analysis, which, along with a 1950 census, led to discovering how much the people in Illinois liked bananas, that people in North Dakota LOVED hard liquor and that people in Wyoming eschewed all that fresh produce that traveled thru the state in favor of a lot of dried beans.

I had always wished it could go online as a queryable database so it could be used as I use it – a backend to Excel combined with Excel’s Cube – creating a rudimentary OLAP tool.  While I do have a web site, with databases, I do not have the technical skills to do more than I have already done.

Dave Nelson

Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 6:09 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Gilbert-Nelson data from the Jan 45 ORER

We need to get the next generation of digitized ORERs with such indices out there, but it has to be a "labor of love" since the market is barely there for photocopied images.

Dave

John Barry

Dave,

How much of that 1950 ORER is transcribed?  All of the line entries including the dimensional data?  My 1945 transcription is limited to owning road/private owner and the number of cars for each car type. For the Auto and Box cars, I did segregate into less than 40, 40-49, 50-69, and 70 & over.  I have done a detailed transcription of the ATSF SFRD entries to include the full dimensional and capacity data. But that took a lot of time for the one road that I model. Doing the same level of detail for the entire ORER, while useful for finding a lot more about common cars used by different companies, exceeds the amount of time I can devote to such a project.

I can see the value in a collaborative effort where the work of keying the data is shared with folks doing subsets of the ORER entries. And with the evolutionary nature of the ORER, once ONE of them is done, earlier and subsequent editions become a matter of updating the differences, a much smaller task. And if I am not mistaken, that is how the ORER was published. Each company generated an original listing the first time they registered their fleet, then made changes as cars were destroyed, purchased, or retired and sent that revised list for publication. The publisher consolidated the company inputs, typeset the pages and printed the new edition.

The issue for such an effort is the standardization of the entries. The reefers use different headers than the other house cars, some included their class designations, others didn't, all have to be compatible with the Master. Then there is information that extends the ORER  entries such as trucks, brake wheel type, running board type.  While not part of the original, it would make such a database much more useful to the STMFC modeler.

John Barry
Washington DC

On April 3, 2016, at 2:38 AM, "'Dave Nelson' Lake_Muskoka@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I have the April 1950 ORER transcribed and loaded into a relational database (which I used extensively when I was doing research on trying to prove my theory on car distribution).  FWIW I also have a fair bit of data from the ICC’s !% waybill analysis, which, along with a 1950 census, led to discovering how much the people in Illinois liked bananas, that people in North Dakota LOVED hard liquor and that people in Wyoming eschewed all that fresh produce that traveled thru the state in favor of a lot of dried beans.

I had always wished it could go online as a queryable database so it could be used as I use it – a backend to Excel combined with Excel’s Cube – creating a rudimentary OLAP tool.  While I do have a web site, with databases, I do not have the technical skills to do more than I have already done.

Dave Nelson

Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 6:09 AM
To: STMFC@...

Dave

Tony Thompson

John Barry wrote:

I can see the value in a collaborative effort where the work of keying the data is shared with folks doing subsets of the ORER entries. And with the evolutionary nature of the ORER, once ONE of them is done, earlier and subsequent editions become a matter of updating the differences, a much smaller task. And if I am not mistaken, that is how the ORER was published. Each company generated an original listing the first time they registered their fleet, then made changes as cars were destroyed, purchased, or retired and sent that revised list for publication. The publisher consolidated the company inputs, typeset the pages and printed the new edition.

According to Steve Peery, who was responsible for checking and submitting the SP entries for ORER in the early 1970s, the ENTIRE entry was resubmitted as often as the railroad wished. You can see a small italic date at the end of each entry. Big roads like SP submitted for every issue. Whether some smaller roads submitted only revisions, I don't know. And I don't know if the process Steve described was in force in the 1920s or 1940s.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Dave Nelson

Pretty much all of the columns (I think I skipped the data for width). No notes.  All dimensional data fields have a single numeric field, meaning feet and inches for anything are in two fields.  I included road class (e.g., X29) whether it was populated in the ORER or not.  I also added a number of administrative fields, such as the ORER date which has allowed me to include a large number of entries from a 1947 ORER.  To make this work I added another administrative field that ties the same series of cars from one ORER to another w/o regard to minor differences in the published car series numbers. 

Many but not all of the data found in the little box entries at the end of the ORER are also transcribed.

Using sql it is therefore trivial to do things like select aarclass=”XML” order by road, car_series and then change it around to select aarclass=”XML” order by IL_Feet, IL_Inch, road, car_series.

It is this flexibility that led me to conclude the most useful purpose of the data is not ordinary list matching one roads ORER pages  but instead OLAP-like exploring that lends itself to understanding more about the North America car fleet.

One thing I experimented on but not successful enough to meet my needs was an attempt to address both versioning and another for car builder.  Versioning was intended to track an initial car design as purchased by any given road thru any number of physical changes that would be reflected in the data.  The car builder data needs to “hang off” that initial build record.  I put off development of this because I realized it was too much work to track down large numbers of build dates and then to create the baseline record to support n number of ORER records over the years.  It’s feasible, just a lot of work.

Dave Nelson

Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2016 8:34 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups com

Dave,

How much of that 1950 ORER is transcribed?