Broadway Limited stock cars with hog sounds

genegreen1942@...

Finally got around to testing my stock car with hog sounds.  Works fine but . . .

I have no experience with hogs in railroad stock cars but lots of experience with hogs in semi-trailers.  When the hogs were disturbed they - many, perhaps most, maybe all - would squeal as if they were being tortured.

Hogs were packed in pretty tightly so they wouldn't be knocked down by starting and stopping.  Once they all laid down things went nicely unless disturbed and then the squealing would begin anew.

The sound in the BLI stock car is that rather subdued sound of an old sow which just found something to eat.

Were my expectations - squealing in torture - unrealistic for rail transport of hogs.

Gene Green

Out in the Badlands of New Mexico

riverman_vt@...

    My experience with hogs echos yours, Gene, and I doubt it matters much whether
they are being transported or not. Even two or more of them can offer quite a bit of
squealing if disturbed by trying to get them to move when they choose not to or do
anything else they are not inclined to do. But squealing hog loads of bawling beef
loads in HO scale cattle cars don't command my attention even when of the STMFC
era in an otherwise well done model. How about just the plain car without the do-dads.

Yeah, I know, just a tight Yank!   Don Valentine

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

And no ducking giraffes either. :~)

Garth Groff

On 5/9/16 12:58 PM, riverman_vt@... [STMFC] wrote (in part):

. . . But squealing hog loads of bawling beef
loads in HO scale cattle cars don't command my attention even when of the STMFC
era in an otherwise well done model. How about just the plain car without the do-dads.

Yeah, I know, just a tight Yank!   Don Valentine

Anspach Denny <danspachmd@...>

Having grown up around cattle, hogs, and their transport in passing stock cars, I can assure you that whatever noises that they might have been making were absolutely lost in just the ambient noises of the train itself. I personally once ‘assisted’ (hah!) loading hogs into a Milwaukee stock car in Fonda, IA, and although things were not quiet certainly, the squealing was pretty minor, low grunting prevailing, and nothing memorable.

Now, the squealing of hogs on the line about to be slaughtered is something else altogether, something I also can also bear personal testimony.

Selling models with livestock noises has to aiming at the more imaginative ‘toy’ side of our hobby.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA 95864

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

Denny,

I had the opportunity to see and hear a UP stock train of upwards of sixty cars with a BLI sound car placed every fourth or fifth car in the consist on the layout at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum in Greeley, CO. The effect was about as authentic as you will ever hear on a model railroad, and I can asset emphatically that the train was anything but ‘toy’ like.

The problem I have with the BLI cars is that they are modeled from a PRR prototype, and I model CB&Q, whose cars are not even close in appearance. I inquired of BLI as to why an Eastern road stock car, and they did not respond.

Nelson P. Moyer, PH.D.

Iowa City, IA 52246

Having grown up around cattle, hogs, and their transport in passing stock cars, I can assure you that whatever noises that they might have been making were absolutely lost in just the ambient noises of the train itself. I personally once ‘assisted’ (hah!) loading hogs into a Milwaukee stock car in Fonda, IA, and although things were not quiet certainly, the squealing was pretty minor, low grunting prevailing, and nothing memorable.

Now, the squealing of hogs on the line about to be slaughtered is something else altogether, something I also can also bear personal testimony.

Selling models with livestock noises has to aiming at the more imaginative ‘toy’ side of our hobby.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA 95864

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

I neglected to state that the UP stock cars were carrying bawling cattle, and you could hear the thuds of bodies slamming against the sides in addition to the unfortunate animal’s laments.

Nelson Moyer

Having grown up around cattle, hogs, and their transport in passing stock cars, I can assure you that whatever noises that they might have been making were absolutely lost in just the ambient noises of the train itself. I personally once ‘assisted’ (hah!) loading hogs into a Milwaukee stock car in Fonda, IA, and although things were not quiet certainly, the squealing was pretty minor, low grunting prevailing, and nothing memorable.

Now, the squealing of hogs on the line about to be slaughtered is something else altogether, something I also can also bear personal testimony.

Selling models with livestock noises has to aiming at the more imaginative ‘toy’ side of our hobby.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA 95864

Bruce Smith

Nelson,

It was part of a nefarious plot by a cabal of SPFs to prove the late Richard Hendrickson wrong when he said something along the lines of “The PRR K7a will never be mass produced”.  And, we were successful ;)

In reality, it was because BLI saw a market opportunity, one of their principle advisors is a PRR fan, and eastern roads haul stock too...

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On May 10, 2016, at 11:35 AM, STMFC@... wrote:

Denny,

I had the opportunity to see and hear a UP stock train of upwards of sixty cars with a BLI sound car placed every fourth or fifth car in the consist on the layout at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum in Greeley, CO. The effect was about as authentic as you will ever hear on a model railroad, and I can asset emphatically that the train was anything but ‘toy’ like.

The problem I have with the BLI cars is that they are modeled from a PRR prototype, and I model CB&Q, whose cars are not even close in appearance. I inquired of BLI as to why an Eastern road stock car, and they did not respond.

Nelson P. Moyer, PH.D.

Steve SANDIFER

For Santa Fe fans, I put the BLI sound in an Intermountain ATSF stock car. It works very nicely and is a Santa Fe car.  However, I don't know of anyone who has produced a CB&Q stock car in other than brass.  Maybe Sunshine did one. I need at least one for my railroad. Anyone modeling lines with 40' stock cars should be ble to put the BLI sound in one of those as well.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Minister Emeritus, Southwest Central Church of Christ

Webmaster, Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society

[...]

Charlie Vlk

The Walthers Proto2000 Mather car is good for CB&Q.
Charlie Vlk

[...]

Douglas Harding

Sunshine did a HO scale CB&Q stockcar. Kit #54.5 a 36’ SM-18. Kit #54.6 was for a  FW&D 36’ SM-18.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

CB&Q leased Mather stock cars in the early years on a per diem basis as need, so there would be few of them compared to CB&Q cars at any given time. In 1960, CB&Q signed a long term lease for 40 and 50 ft. Mather stock cars, the latter being built by splicing two 40 ft. cars. These cars had double decks, and they were used for hogs and sheep. There was an article on kitbashing a 50 ft. car in one of the model railroad magazines, but I don’t remember when or where. By 1960, CB&Q cars, including the Mather leased cars, would have been painted Chinese red.

For modelers of other prototypes, the Mather cars are an acceptable stand-in, but Q modelers with modeling eras before 1960 probably wouldn’t want a whole fleet of Mather cars. The Q prototype choices are limited at this point. Modelers can look for Sunshine kits, or scratchbuild SM-16 and SM-18 stock cars using the plans and techniques in the Mainline Modeler series.

Nelson Moyer

On May 10, 2016, at 11:35 AM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Denny,

I had the opportunity to see and hear a UP stock train of upwards of sixty cars with a BLI sound car placed every fourth or fifth car in the consist on the layout at the Colorado Model Railroad Museum in Greeley, CO. The effect was about as authentic as you will ever hear on a model railroad, and I can asset emphatically that the train was anything but ‘toy’ like.

The problem I have with the BLI cars is that they are modeled from a PRR prototype, and I model CB&Q, whose cars are not even close in appearance. I inquired of BLI as to why an Eastern road stock car, and they did not respond.

Nelson P. Moyer, PH.D.

Benjamin Hom

Nelson Moyer wrote:
"There was an article on kitbashing a 50 ft. [Mather] car in one of the model railroad magazines, but I don’t remember when or where."

"Building a Mather 50-foot Stockcar" by Jim Teese, Model Railroader, January 1998.

Ben Hom

Ben de Vries

That article appeared in the Jan. ‘98 MR.!
Ben de Vries

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:16 PM

[...]

rhammill

Just for that, a picture I recently found:

I've been looking for an opportunity to post this!

Randy
--
Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad  |  http://newbritainstation.com