Boxcar End: What Kind?

thecitrusbelt@...

Can someone identify this boxcar end and tell me when it first appeared?

http://www.ttnut.com/resources/image/3054

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Nzg0WDEyMDA=/z/6msAAOSw3ydVnGAg/$_1.JPG

Thank you.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Benjamin Hom

Bob Chaparro asked:
"Can someone identify this boxcar end and tell me when it first appeared?"
http://www.ttnut.com/resources/image/3054
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Nzg0WDEyMDA=/z/6msAAOSw3ydVnGAg/$_1.JPG

Deco Ends, unique to C&O 5400-5499, built by GATC July-August 1937.

Ben Hom

Donald Ford <ford.donald77@...>

they are called Deco or dot in grid ends
only found on this series of C&O boxcars
Don Ford

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:18 PM, "Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Bob Chaparro asked:
"Can someone identify this boxcar end and tell me when it first appeared?"
http://www.ttnut.com/resources/image/3054
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Nzg0WDEyMDA=/z/6msAAOSw3ydVnGAg/$_1.JPG

Deco Ends, unique to C&O 5400-5499, built by GATC July-August 1937.

Ben Hom

Curt Fortenberry

Soon to be available on the HO Intermountain 1937 AAR 40' boxcar (45793 & 45794), although I haven't seen a shot of the production version.

Curt Fortenberry

Rhbale@...

In my research of boxcar ends I was never able to learn much about this one. I don't know if it had a commercial name but it is generally referred to as an art deco or waffle end. They were used on a group of boxcars built in 1937 for the Chesapeake & Ohio. For more information on car ends including this one go to http://mrhpub.com/2014-10-oct/land#92

Richard Bale

rdgbuff56

These cars wound up on the B&O.  A picture of one in 1964 is shown in B&O color guide.  It says 7 were left in 1974.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
Sunbury, Pa.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Donald Ford ford.donald77@... [STMFC]"
Date:Tue, May 17, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Subject:Re: [STMFC] Boxcar End: What Kind?

they are called Deco or dot in grid ends
only found on this series of C&O boxcars
Don Ford

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:18 PM, "Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Bob Chaparro asked:
"Can someone identify this boxcar end and tell me when it first appeared?"
http://www.ttnut.com/resources/image/3054
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Nzg0WDEyMDA=/z/6msAAOSw3ydVnGAg/$_1.JPG

Deco Ends, unique to C&O 5400-5499, built by GATC July-August 1937.

Ben Hom

maynard stowe

An O sclae model of this car was imported by Rich Yoder about 8 years ago.
Maynard Stowe

Clark Propst

I made a model of one of the C&O cars re-numbering the Des Plaines RC model and adding Keith Retterer’s Ends and doors. During one of my first op sessions we were pulling the car out from behind a building and one of the crew exclaimed “What is that? A missile launcher?”
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

water.kresse@...

We have the End General Arrangement Drawing in the C&O HS Archives.  At least three article written on these cars in C&O History Mag plus covered in C&OHS's recently published C&O Freight Cars: 1937-1945 book.
Al Kresse