MECHANICAL REFRIGERATOR CARS

mec-bml@...

Ive got 2 questions on this type of car,would they fit within the steam era guide lines and if not then PLEASE ignore this question and if they do who offers a HO(either kit or RTR)for these cars..?????

Thanks

Joel Norman

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Joel,

Which cars? If you are asking about mechanical reefers in general, then absolutely. I'm sure somebody here will cite experimental cars from way back, but in general, they began to appear roughly around 1950. Some of the earliest cars were 40-footers, but 50-foot cars were common by our roughly 1960 cut-off time.

If you are asking about specific cars, then someone here can probably tell you if they are allowable.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 5/23/16 1:02 PM, mec-bml@... [STMFC] wrote:

Ive got 2 questions on this type of car,would they fit within the steam era guide lines and if not then PLEASE ignore this question and if they do who offers a HO(either kit or RTR)for these cars..?????

Thanks

Joel Norman

Bruce Smith

Joel,

How about breaking this out into a bit more coherent set of questions...

1) Did mechanical refrigerator cars exits in the era of this list (pre-1960)

The answer to that one would be yes, so overall, your question is appropriate.

You might then ask

2) What companies had mechanical reefers in our era?

A quick check of the PFE "bible" indicates that FGE (yes, FGE, not PFE) started with 25 experimental cars in 1949 and rostered 175 cars by 1952.  PFE and SFRD both added mechanicals in 1952.  PFE's first mechanical cars were class R-70-7. In 1955, the earlier R-70-5 ice cars were rebuilt as mechanicals. Classes R-70-8, R-70-9 and R-70-10 followed on quickly. In 1957 PFE added 40' cars in the classes R-40-29, R-40-30 and R-50-6, all prior to 1960.

Roger Hinman's book on Merchants Despatch indicates that they started producing mechanicals in 1956.

As noted above, both FGE and SFRD also had mechanicals in the period in question.

Thus, it might be appropriate to narrow any further question to the particular company that you are interested in and then ask

3) What models are available? (It might also behoove you to first search the STMFC archives using the specific company name and mechcanical, e.g "FGE mechanical reefer".

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Ive got 2 questions on this type of car,would they fit within the steam era guide lines and if not then PLEASE ignore this question and if they do who offers a HO(either kit or RTR)for these cars..?????

Thanks

Joel Norman

Brad Smith

Swift's early mechanical reefers were in the red scheme with white eves, like the ice reefers.

Brad Smith

Sent from Brad's iPod

[...]

Todd Sullivan

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Pacific HO produced a flat model in plastic and white metal with wire grabs, separate ladders and full brake rigging of the first variant of the mechanical reefers.  I believe the prototype for the model was the FGE car, and the first PFE cars were very similar.  I have 3-4 of the models packed away somewhere in my storage unit, and would be willing to part with one or two, but I have to find them first.  If anyone is interested, please contact me OFF-LIST at sullivant41 AT yahoo ddot com, and I will get back to you.

Todd Sullivan
Liverpool, NY

Tony Thompson

Todd Sullivan wrote:

I believe the prototype for the model was the FGE car, and the first PFE cars were very similar.

       I think this is correct. As further info, FGE and PFE were working together on this development, as I was told in my interview with Earl Hopkins, retired PFE CMO at the time of the mechanical reefer work. They shared test data on power units, air flow arrangements, fan size, etc. But as it happened, FGE produced the cars first.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

The WrighTrak produces a resin kit w/Banana taper ends good for FGE cars built in 1955 and 1957 built by FGE, WFE and BRE. Only decals I know of are Microscale set for BREX. The FGE/WFE/BRE System built 1100 50-ft Mechs from 1953 thru1957 that were essentially identical except of ends and grill location. They road on Roller Bearing trucks. I am pretty sure I have gone into more detail previously on these cars and suggest looking in the group's Archives.

I have suggested to Greg using the Accurail Sliding Flush Door kit for a "Shake'n Take" project to model one of FGE or WFE's 40-foot Mechs. WFE's may have been aluminum as the photos I have show them without paint except for their stenciling.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Looks like WT has discontinued their resin kit. Great candidate for a styrene manufacturer with sound for the Detroit Diesel, Tangent, InterMountain are you listening? Two eras—six paint schemes. . .

Bill Welch

Rich C

Bill, Gary still lists it under Box Cars.

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 8:39 AM, "fgexbill@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Looks like WT has discontinued their resin kit. Great candidate for a styrene manufacturer with sound for the Detroit Diesel, Tangent, InterMountain are you listening? Two eras—six paint schemes. . .

Bill Welch

So he does.

http://www.wrighttrak.com/page3.php?view=productListPage&category=1

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 8:51 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] MECHANICAL REFRIGERATOR CARS

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 8:39 AM, "fgexbill@tampabay.rr.com [STMFC]" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Looks like WT has discontinued their resin kit. Great candidate for a styrene manufacturer with sound for the Detroit Diesel, Tangent, InterMountain are you listening? Two eras—six paint schemes. . .

Bill Welch

Greg Martin

Bill Welch writes in part:

"I have suggested to Greg using the Accurail Sliding Flush Door kit for a "Shake'n Take" project to model one of FGE or WFE's 40-foot Mechs. WFE's may have been aluminum as the photos I have show them without paint except for their stenciling.

Bill Welch"

Bill and all,

It is on the list of things to come. And I do own several of the Pacific HO 50-ft mechanicals.

Greg

"Why Yes, I have done some modeling"...

Bill Welch

Greg I assume you mean the kit with Grapefruit size rivets? Way overdue to be done with modern tooling. Again Tangent, InterMountain are you listening?

Bill Welch

Greg Martin

Bill,

It has been so long since I looked at them you may be right.

The drawings are out there, there are at least three set, but no one is willing to share.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean