Santa Mineral Brown

Ken O'Brien

I'm looking for an acrylic paint to do up some Santa Fe wooden cabeese. I have some PollyScale Mineral Red, but it looks too red. Suggestions?

Ken O'Brien

Allan Smith

The actual color for Santa Fe Waycars is Mineral Brown.The best colors I have found lately are the Tru-color paints for Santa Fe. TCP-019 is Mineral Brown pre 1945 and TCP-251 is Mineral Brown 1945+. These are very easy paints to spray and look very good in indoor lighting.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:08 PM, "kobrien1600@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I'm looking for an acrylic paint to do up some Santa Fe wooden cabeese. I have some PollyScale Mineral Red, but it looks too red. Suggestions?

Ken O'Brien

John Barry

Ken,

What time frame?  Santa Fe's colors changed somewhat post WWII.  Tru Color Paint makes a color that Ed Hawkins told me is a dead match to the pre 45 ACF color chips, TCP-19 ATSF Brown.  I will be using that on my S&T 2014 Bx-28 and Bx-31.  Progress on those has been slow with a move cross country to a new job, and they have not been done enough for the paint shop.  I plan to add a touch of white to account for scale effect and maybe a bit more for fading on the -28 in original paint.  Post war the paint was redder, but I model 1944-45 so that should be the correct starting point for me.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights

707-490-9696