Santa Mineral Brown

Ken O'Brien

I'm looking for an acrylic paint to do up some Santa Fe wooden cabeese. I have some PollyScale Mineral Red, but it looks too red. Suggestions?

Ken O'Brien

Allan Smith

The actual color for Santa Fe Waycars is Mineral Brown.The best colors I have found lately are the Tru-color paints for Santa Fe. TCP-019 is Mineral Brown pre 1945 and TCP-251 is Mineral Brown 1945+. These are very easy paints to spray and look very good in indoor lighting.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:08 PM, "kobrien1600@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I'm looking for an acrylic paint to do up some Santa Fe wooden cabeese. I have some PollyScale Mineral Red, but it looks too red. Suggestions?

Ken O'Brien

John Barry

Ken,

What time frame?  Santa Fe's colors changed somewhat post WWII.  Tru Color Paint makes a color that Ed Hawkins told me is a dead match to the pre 45 ACF color chips, TCP-19 ATSF Brown.  I will be using that on my S&T 2014 Bx-28 and Bx-31.  Progress on those has been slow with a move cross country to a new job, and they have not been done enough for the paint shop.  I plan to add a touch of white to account for scale effect and maybe a bit more for fading on the -28 in original paint.  Post war the paint was redder, but I model 1944-45 so that should be the correct starting point for me.  

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 8:08 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Santa Mineral Brown

Ken O'Brien

Ken O'Brien

John, these are for the 1951-1953 time frame. Thanks for the assist.

John Barry

Ken,

Then you probably want to use the redder TCP-251 post 45 mineral brown and ATSF reporting marks.  If you are modelling a long un-repainted caboose with A.T.S.F or rarer A.T.&S.F. (for your era) repaint, use the TCP-019.  Color is simpler for my 1944 era.

I highly recommend Richard Hendrickson's updated painting and lettering guide published by the Santa Fe Historical and Modelling Society.  SFRHMS Books
I have the first edition and recently purchased the update.  Diesel and Steam locomotive painting and lettering guides are also available on the same URL.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Santa Mineral Brown

John, these are for the 1951-1953 time frame. Thanks for the assist.