ADMIN: Mainline Modeler

Mikebrock

ADMIN: Guys,

For the last week or so, the STMFC has been the recipient of many thoughtful comments regarding the "late" magazine, Mainline Modeler [MM]. Discussion about this magazine is one of those things that lead to more rules than is desired...i.e., an attempt to list those things that can be discussed and those that cannot. In the case of MM, I'm not going to wade through the many rules to determine its "in scope" evaluation and given that MM was a VERY significant part of the development of prototype modeling, discussion about it will be within scope until diminishing returns occur. We are going to treat discussions about MM [ for the time being ] as if the magazine were a frt car. Hence, the rules about frt cars will apply:

"Members are permitted to criticize or praise manufacturer's products free
from criticism from other members. Criticism of a manufacturer's business
practices is, however, not within the scope of the group."

So, the magazine's qualities may be criticized or praised free from criticism by other members. In addition, the MM business practice's including those by organizations performing associated functions such as publishing archival information [ CD's ] are not within scope on the STMFC. IOW, the cost of CD's regarding MM is out of scope...just as is the cost of a particular model of a frt car.

Believe me, guys, this is best...and certainly best for the group owner [ me ].

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner

Scott H. Haycock

Mike,

Well considered, and well adjudicated. I can imagine the headache!

Since the history of the evolution of prototype freight car modeling is now officially approved, may I bring up another magazine for comment?

Between slapping Walthers or Champ decals on Athearn and MDC undecorated cars, and the resin revolution, was kitbashing. This is still around, for example in the annual Shake and Take group build.

The magazine which, in my opinion, brought this method of more accurate freight car modeling into its own was Prototype Modeler. While this wasn't a glossy publication, with a high end art department, it went where no magazine had gone before.

To this day, I value my collection of PM second only to MM, as far as general hobby magazines go.

Scott Haycock

[...]

Jared Harper

Mike,

I was wondering what was taking you so long to respond.

Jared Harper

---In STMFC@..., <brockm@...> wrote :

[...]

mwbauers

I certainly  agree that this magazine is nearly essential to a model railroader that wants true miniatures for his layout.

I think this magazine was on-line with that site that got mostly destroyed with some sort of never repaired server corruption a couple of years ago, was it Train-life ?

I’d like to ask if anyone knows of this magazine being offered on CD or some other digital media?

I have a few treasured copies of the magazine and would like to have more of them on the usually easier to obtain cd or other digital media. Mainly because the originally published magazines are such a challenge to otherwise obtain.

Thanks guys.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On May 26, 2016, at 5:16 AM, 'Scott H. Haycock '  wrote:

Since the history of the evolution of prototype freight car modeling is now officially approved, may I bring up another magazine for comment?

Between slapping Walthers or Champ decals on Athearn and MDC undecorated cars, and the resin revolution, was kitbashing. This is still around, for example in the annual Shake and Take group build.

The magazine which, in my opinion, brought this method of more accurate freight car modeling into its own was Prototype Modeler. While this wasn't a glossy publication, with a high end art department, it went where no magazine had gone before.

To this day, I value my collection of PM second only to MM, as far as general hobby magazines go.

Benjamin Hom

Mike Bauer's wrote:
"I think this magazine was on-line with that site that got mostly destroyed with some sort of never repaired server corruption a couple of years ago, was it Train-life?"

Not entirely true.  You're correct about the Trainlife website, but they DID NOT have online copies of Mainline Modeler. They had the Schleicher publications (Model RailroaDING, Railmodel Journal) and Prototype Modeler.

"I’d like to ask if anyone knows of this magazine being offered on CD or some other digital media?"

Yes.  See earlier posts in this thread about the C&O Historical Society offering.

Ben Hom

Mikebrock

It has been pointed out to me that STMFC rules do not prohibit including the cost of an item to be offered for sale. OTOH, CRITICISM of such a cost of an item is included as a business practice and is not permitted. Hence, including the cost of a CD or other media form which includes issues of a previously printed item such as MM is permitted. Criticizing that cost is not.

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner