NYCSHS Central Headlight 2nd Qtr 2016 - NYC Automobile Cars 1916-1953

Benjamin Hom

Fran Giacoma asked:
"Enjoyed the subject article and would like to add a car to run on my HO 1956 B&O Shenandoah SD layout. I'd like to model the later (1940's) all steel, 40' car. What HO car would be a good starting point?"

Which cars?  The Spec 953A/Lot 760-B cars:

riverman_vt@...

Hello Ben,

    Thanks very much for posting the three NYC auto-box photos. Is #56000 a rebuild of one of the type
initially constructed as double sheathed cars from 1916? Can't believe it was built in 1917 in a form as
shown. Presumedly #63149 is a second rebuild of the #56000 style to gain an extra 6 in. in height and
the #70000 series were constructed new in late 1947 to replace older cars with the 10 ft. 6 in. IH. I'm
wondering if the #70000 type might be kitbashed from a C&BT car and will have to check my stock of
same. The car is new enough so it would not even need any weathering for my 1948 modeling period!
The air reservoir on #70000 is clearly visible below the end of the righthand door but the three dark
spots to the left of it make me think they might be tubes for tie down chains. with three on each side
of the car. Can you enlighten me on this and the type of ends used on these cars?

    I find the #63149 interesting for what appears to be a more substantial, or rugged, method of
extending the roof than that seen on the Santa Fe cars like those offered in the Westerfield line
which I raised a question about a few weeks ago.

Thanks again, Don Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <b.hom@...> wrote :

Fran Giacoma asked:
"Enjoyed the subject article and would like to add a car to run on my HO 1956 B&O Shenandoah SD layout. I'd like to model the later (1940's) all steel, 40' car. What HO car would be a good starting point?"

Which cars?  The Spec 953A/Lot 760-B cars:

Fran Giacoma

My response: Any of them would be acceptable.

Thanks.
Fran Giacoma

Fran Giacoma

I would like to model the 7000 series as pictured on Ben's link below.
Would this C&BT kit work?

Which end doors from Westerfield (part # 1112 or 2812) would be the closest to the NYC ones?
Thanks.
Fran Giacoma

Benjamin Hom

Fran Giacoma asked:
"I would like to model the 7000 series as pictured on Ben's link below.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-70000.jpg

Would this C&BT kit work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351750814405

Yes, though I'd also pick up Archer decals to rework the panel lines to the left of the doors, as well as replacement doors to get the two different doors to model this car with a 15 ft door opening (the C&BT car has a 14 ft door opening with doors of the same width).

"Which end doors from Westerfield (part # 1112 or 2812) would be the closest to the NYC ones?"

I'm assuming you don't mean the 7000-series cars.  Which specific lots?  Types of end doors did vary over time.

Ben Hom

Fran Giacoma

Fran asked and Ben answered:
"Which end doors from Westerfield (part # 1112 or 2812) would be the closest to the NYC ones?

I'm assuming you don't mean the 7000-series cars.  Which specific lots?  Types of end doors did vary over time."

Either of these having an end door would work:
Thanks.
Fran Giacoma