e bay auctions

ed_mines

Does anyone have any experience buying freight car kits on e bay sold as "best offer"?

Some classic "junk" kits like the Ambroid ACF covered hopper kits are being offered, sometimes at premium prices. Screen roofwalks, ugh! Sealing the wood is no picnic these days either.

Every so often pretty nice kit built cars are offered. There's a nice, built up Gloor NYC caboose being offered now.

Ed Mines

O Fenton Wells

Ed, I have purchased cars on eBay as a 'Best Offer' situation.  I have been successful on a few but most sellers have an unusual way of valuing these kits.  I bid on a Westerfield boxcar and offered $19.95 on an item that was listed at $69.00 or best offer.  As far as I know the gentlemen still owns the kit. Of course you can buy it new from Westerfield for about $35.00
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

ed_mines

My experience is similar and I've gotten some snotty rejections but I've bought some real nice AMB laserkit cabooses by bid for much less than the original price.

Ed Mines

O Fenton Wells

My experience as well.  Oh Well

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 12:14 PM, ed_mines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

My experience is similar and I've gotten some snotty rejections but I've bought some real nice AMB laserkit cabooses by bid for much less than the original price.

Ed Mines

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-1144
srrfan1401@...

sprinthag@...

A lot of the sellers are not at all knowledgeable about trains. real of model.  They get some at a estate sale and think everything is worth a fortune.
These are also the ones that call a Mantua 4-6-0 a 4-4-2 just because of the odd driver spacing. Or they photograph a steam loco with the tender backwards. What I don't get is seeing two of the same item for, say, priced at $3500 and $40.00 and the a bit further down the same thing asking $200.00.
Sometimes when I see an obvious error, especially if something is listed incorrectly to the point where buyers that may want it won't even click on the item, I send a message to the sellers. Some are very grateful and send me thank yous and others, if they reply, basically tell me where to shove it.
Oh well. All we can do is watch for deals. One thging I can say is if you see a seller that appears to have really good asking prices, by all means check his/her other items.
John Hagen

Stephen Bishop

I bought the Ambroid "box of sticks"  on ebay and it contains  everything I need to build a nice Pennsy  boxcar.

Steve Bishop

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

Does anyone have any experience buying freight car kits on e bay sold as "best offer"?

Some classic "junk" kits like the Ambroid ACF covered hopper kits are being offered, sometimes at premium prices. Screen roofwalks, ugh! Sealing the wood is no picnic these days either.

Every so often pretty nice kit built cars are offered. There's a nice, built up Gloor NYC caboose being offered now.

Ed Mines

Andy Harman

I've been buying on ebay since 1999, 99.8% positive results. I've occasionally done the "best offer" thing when it was offered. Sometimes the seller already has a minimum price and if you meet or beat it, you get an instant answer and if you don't, you get an instant rejection. The other way is the offer is open and you don't get a response until the seller actually sees it.

IIRC I bought a couple of PSC brass tank cars pretty cheap that way, one damaged that was really dirt cheap. Had a couple dents in it, but the ends were not soldered on so I was able to get inside and rub out the dents. Just enough remaining to be realistic once I get around to repainting it.

The only wood kit I bought on ebay was a Quality Craft auto rack, which is borderline OT for this list. It does represent an early 85' rack. My plan was always to build the car in plastic and just use the plans and castings. Whenever I get around to that project.

I've sold some Sunshine kits on ebay, the same way I always do - $5 minimum bid and no reserve. They did well, including a couple of Naperville giveaway minikits... well not exactly giveaway considering the price of admission but, I accumulated some I couldn't use and got surprising good money for them.

I've kept a few Sunshine kits that are borderline "boomer" era cars, or just a few too interesting to part with.

Ebay is about the best place to find about anything obscure. Think of the most obscure kit, part, manufacturer... and you'll probably get a hit.

Andy

Andy Harman

At 01:09 AM 6/5/2016 +0000, you wrote:

I bought the Ambroid "box of sticks" on ebay and it contains everything I need to build a nice Pennsy boxcar.
I found that when it comes to sliced dead trees, I'm not my dad or my grandfather. Even if the prototype is wood, I'd rather make it out of plastic. I have yet to actually do this. I had planned to make an N&W CF caboose from stock styrene using the plans and castings from the old QC kit. Then BLI announced a plastic CF, then they un-announced it. Then AMB did a laserkit wood version. Thing is, what I need is a plywood-sided rebuild. I will probably just use the wood sides as a template to make styrene "plywood" sides and build the rest of it as-is. I also have a brass CF to go with my BLI class A and H-2 hoppers one of these days.

Andy

Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...>

>Some classic "junk" kits like the Ambroid ACF covered hopper kits are being offered, sometimes at premium prices. Screen roofwalks, ugh! Sealing the wood is no picnic these days either<

H-mmm.  LIke any kit, If one does not know how to build it, or dislikes doing so, the end result will indeed be  “junk”.  For others that enjoy the challenge or accomplishment that fine kit building promises, building and finishing the Ambroid kits can be at the top of the list:  It surely is on mine.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA

Schuyler Larrabee

Just returned from the Enfield NERPM meet (formerly the eastern Collinsville meet) and there was a display of five (maybe six) built Ambroid or similar kits that were very appealing. Nope, not resin quality, but still very handsome models.

Schuyler

Some classic "junk" kits like the Ambroid ACF covered hopper kits are being offered, sometimes at premium prices. Screen roofwalks, ugh! Sealing the wood is no picnic these days either<

H-mmm. LIke any kit, If one does not know how to build it, or dislikes doing so, the end result will indeed be “junk”. For others that enjoy the challenge or accomplishment that fine kit building promises, building and finishing the Ambroid kits can be at the top of the list: It surely is on mine.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD

Okoboji, IA

ed_mines

Whoa!

I like these wood kits as much as anybody.

But some have seen their day. There are many models plastic models of those ACF hoppers.

I could never get the screen to lie down flat.

Almost 40 years ago I built that model (Northeastern kit). The roof walk supports were another stumbling block, getting them all in the same plane.

I also built an Ambroid (white box?) PS (?) covered hopper (GN lettering) with cast roof walks and a pair of heavy cast discharge hoppers. It is one of my favorite wood cars. The ends, with Weaver era ladder stock, look crisper than on similar plastic models.

Ed Mines

Chuck Soule

Andy wrote:  Even if the prototype is wood, I'd rather make it out of
plastic.

I came to the conclusion years ago that, at least for HO scale (and smaller),  even a weathered wood car or structure modeled out of wood does not look as nice as if done out of plastic.  This is because the grain in the natural wood is too coarse for the scale.

Wood as the construction material would be OK for the various G scales, but even for O or S scale, natural grain of the stripwood is coarse.

Chuck Soule