Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2016 12:25 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Red caboose -12 PFE models

Which model is the proper height, R-30-12 or R-30-12-9? The prototypes were about 6" different, about .070" in HO. .The 2 models are the same height.

I recently built a -12 using 30 AWG soft black wire for the grab irons & Yarmouth stirrup steps. A lot of work but the car looks great.

Ed Mines

Tony Thompson

Ed Miines wrote:

Which model is the proper height, R-30-12 or R-30-12-9? The prototypes were about 6" different, about .070" in HO. .The 2 models are the same height.

      Red Caboose did a correct R-30-12. They then brought out the R-30-9 lettering on the same body, and unfortunately some of those kits are out there (with incorrect height, as Ed says). But, God love 'em, they retooled the -9 kit to the correct height, and there were lots of those produced too. So for the question of which model is correct, the answer is "both," but beware of the exception. BTW, the -9 cars were lettered R-30-12-9 for five years or so, then it was simplified to R-30-9.
       Confession: Red Caboose had consulted with me about the possibility of doing the -9 models, and I evidently did not make sufficiently clear that the heights were different, and I know I emphasized that the body APPEARANCE was essentially the same, with the same side hardware, etc. Later we got it cleared up, and I reminded them that if they had sent me a drawing or test shot to review, I would have caught the problem. But as I said, they did do the stand-up thing and corrected the model.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Fred Jansz

Xcuse me for my igorance. What I read in your answer is that the ones lettered for R-30-12-9 are also the wrong ones? I have ten R-30-9 kits that seem to have the right height (all double herald, LA 6-48). However 2 other kits I have are lettered as R-30-12-9, have lower bodies, ROS 7-39. These two need to be repainted & lettered anyway because they would've been in 1950 in real life I guess. Thanks for your explanation.
Fred Jansz

Tony Thompson

Fred Jansz wrote:

Xcuse me for my igorance. What I read in your answer is that the ones lettered for R-30-12-9 are also the wrong ones? I have ten R-30-9 kits that seem to have the right height (all double herald, LA 6-48). However 2 other kits I have are lettered as R-30-12-9, have lower bodies, ROS 7-39. These two need to be repainted & lettered anyway because they would've been in 1950 in real life I guess. Thanks for your explanation.

         The lettering is not a good guide, because Red Caboose did a bunch of paint schemes; follow the height as you have done. And BTW, by 1950 there were precious few R-30-12 or -13 remaining. Not because they had been scrapped, but because almost all had been rebuilt into something else. Best use of that body might be the WP cars, though they too were quite reduced in number.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

ed_mines

Thanks for your answer Tony.

Red Caboose did nice kits with beautiful screening. I hope the original owner was able to make money.

On the subject of PFE reefers, the other day I saw a color Jack Delano WWII era photo of a rail yard on Shorpy, with 2 reefers, both yellow, and one was clearly PFE.

Ed Mines

Tony Thompson

The PFE orange did fade toward yellow. There were certainly no 1920s yellow cars still around, as PFE shop records show.

On Jun 5, 2016, at 10:54 AM, ed_mines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Thanks for your answer Tony.

Red Caboose did nice kits with beautiful screening. I hope the original owner was able to make money.

On the subject of PFE reefers, the other day I saw a color Jack Delano WWII era photo of a rail yard on Shorpy, with 2 reefers, both yellow, and one was clearly PFE.

Ed Mines

Fred Jansz

248 R-30-12/13's according to the big PFE bible. And according to my dbase I'd need one in my model fleet.
Despite the fact that WP cars were the needles in the haystack and I would be OK with one, I have 4 of 'em because I have a soft spot for WP. My PFE collection now comprises of 42 cars, still 15 rare ones to go...
cheers
Fred