Intermountain ATSF BX-37s

Michael Gross

Intermountain is offering some new 10'6" modified AARs in the BX-37 scheme.  Anyone know if, apart from assigned numbers and slogans, if they were prototypically accurate?

Here is a link to the offering:  http://www.intermountain-railway.com/modelersclub/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/PickSixJune16.jpg

Michael Gross

Los Angeles, CA

John Barry

Michael,

They are close and can easily be made closer with some minor mods to ladders, reorienting the reservoir, and changing trucks for certain road numbers. It is probably closest to the as built Bx-43 as is but as a 37 its not bad.  Past issues had appropriate as built Slogan/Map/number combinations.  I have not checked this particular set as I acquired a large number from the most recent release that filled the Bx-37 gap in my roster.  If you want to improve a bit more, substitute a Red Caboose roof.  

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:55 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Intermountain ATSF BX-37s

Intermountain is offering some new 10'6" modified AARs in the BX-37 scheme.  Anyone know if, apart from assigned numbers and slogans, if they were prototypically accurate?

Michael Gross
Los Angeles, CA

mopacfirst

New question:  Has this car ever been offered in circle-cross?  Even as a kit, back when they used to do such things?  And I don't mean the current 46023, which isn't even the same car and has the post-S&T scheme which I doubt very many of these cars carried.

I don't recall ever having seen the Bx-37 or -43 offered in S&T.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ron Merrick

John Barry

Ron,

By circle-cross do you mean the plain pre-map scheme with the 3 foot herald or the post S&T large circle cross?  Lots of the cars of the cars survived past 59 to wear the large cross.  Since the Bx-37s started delivery in 42, none of them came in the pre-map scheme and all were delivered in a straight map scheme, then repainted in S&T after 47 or large Circle Cross after 59.  

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:44 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Intermountain ATSF BX-37s

New question:  Has this car ever been offered in circle-cross?  Even as a kit, back when they used to do such things?  And I don't mean the current 46023, which isn't even the same car and has the post-S&T scheme which I doubt very many of these cars carried.

I don't recall ever having seen the Bx-37 or -43 offered in S&T.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ron Merrick

Michael Gross

Thank you, John.  I don't mind tweaking ladders, brake reservoir, even adding a Royal F brake regulator as long as the main parts of the car—sides, end, and roof—are correct.  If they have the correct W-section curved corners, and 5/5 dreadnaught ends, I might compromise on the roof.  Your comment about Red Caboose suggests that the IM car does NOT have the correct raised panel roof.

Sure appreciate the information, John.

Cheers!

Michael Gross
Los Angeles, CA

Michael Gross

According to the Santa Fe live freight car index, there were almost 5000 of these still in existence in 1959, so many would have received the Ship and Travel repaint beginning in 1947.

Benjamin Hom

Michael Gross wrote:

"Your comment about Red Caboose suggests that the IM car does NOT have the correct raised panel roof."

Not quite true - the Intermountain roof is a rectangular panel roof, but it isn't as tooled nearly as nicely as the Red Caboose rectangular panel roof, so some of the modelers on this list replace it with the Red Caboose part, which fits with minor modifications.

Ben Hom

John Barry

Micheal,

The IM roof is basically correct, but not as well executed as the Red Caboose version.  

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Intermountain ATSF BX-37s

Thank you, John.  I don't mind tweaking ladders, brake reservoir, even adding a Royal F brake regulator as long as the main parts of the car—sides, end, and roof—are correct.  If they have the correct W-section curved corners, and 5/5 dreadnaught ends, I might compromise on the roof.  Your comment about Red Caboose suggests that the IM car does NOT have the correct raised panel roof.

Sure appreciate the information, John.

Cheers!

Michael Gross
Los Angeles, CA

John Barry

And over 2000 of those nearly 5000 cars survived to the 70s past the end of this list, but would surely had more than a few of them repainted in the Large Circle Cross introduced in 1959.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:29 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Intermountain ATSF BX-37s

According to the Santa Fe live freight car index, there were almost 5000 of these still in existence in 1959, so many would have received the Ship and Travel repaint beginning in 1947.

peteraue

Michael,
you may also also take a good look at the ends of the side sills and the sill steps. You'll need to cut off a piece of the side sill and replace the sill steps with more appropriate ones. I've always felt that the injection molded running boards on the IM and Red Caboose 40' boxcars are rather poor and have been replacing them on my cars with laser cut running boards and photo-etched RB support brackets.
Peter Aue

Michael Gross

Thank you, Peter—and for all others who were kind enough to offer help.

Cheers!

Michael

Fred Jansz

I'm not to well informed about ATSF, I'm sorry. When you'd sum everything up what would be the modifications needed to convert this new IM BX-37 into a correct car as it would exist in 1950? And which one of the slogans would be apropriate for 1950? Thanks for your help.
Fred Jansz

Fred Jansz

Thanks Barry Bennet for your email answer and explanation on the BX-37! Appreciate that.
Fred Jansz

Fred Jansz

Here's a link for all of you wanting to know more about the Intermountain ATSF BX-37 boxcar: http://www.atsfrr.com/Reviews/HO/Freight/IRM%20BX-37%2043/Index.htm

Fred Jansz