Fw: Re: Intermountain ATSF BX-37s

John Barry

Ron,

Missed the second half of your question, Yes, Intermountain has offered several variations of the S&T slogan cars.  I just haven't paid too much attention as they post date my 44-45 modelling era.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

To: "STMFC@..."
Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Intermountain ATSF BX-37s

Ron,

By circle-cross do you mean the plain pre-map scheme with the 3 foot herald or the post S&T large circle cross?  Lots of the cars of the cars survived past 59 to wear the large cross.  Since the Bx-37s started delivery in 42, none of them came in the pre-map scheme and all were delivered in a straight map scheme, then repainted in S&T after 47 or large Circle Cross after 59.  

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:44 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Intermountain ATSF BX-37s

New question:  Has this car ever been offered in circle-cross?  Even as a kit, back when they used to do such things?  And I don't mean the current 46023, which isn't even the same car and has the post-S&T scheme which I doubt very many of these cars carried.

I don't recall ever having seen the Bx-37 or -43 offered in S&T.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ron Merrick

mopacfirst

My fault, I wasn't specific enough.

I meant the post-59 S&T scheme with the 8' circle-cross.

By the way, Mask Island Decals makes this scheme, only problem being the herald is 8'-6" so not right for either typical 40' nor typical 50'.

Ron Merrick.

John Barry

Ron,

Without photo evidence to confirm, the thousands of cars extant with the '59 change to the S&T Large Circle Cross coupled with the Santa Fe continuing to repaint these cars past the end of time leads me to state there is a very high likelyhood that many of those Bx-37s did receive that scheme and it's successor with "Santa Fe"  instead of S&T.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: [STMFC] Re: Intermountain ATSF BX-37s

By the way, Mask Island Decals makes this scheme, only problem being the herald is 8'-6" so not right for either typical 40' nor typical 50'.

Ron Merrick.

charles slater

The Bx-37 class cars were painted in ALL the schemes that the Santa Fe used over the years. I photographed car 142428 painted at Topeka in July 1980 and still in revenue service when I photographed it at Needles, Ca. on April 18, 1981 while I was working there.

Charlie Slater

Bakersfield, Ca.

Sent from Outlook

From: STMFC@... on behalf of John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC]
Sent: Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:34 PM

Ron,

Without photo evidence to confirm, the thousands of cars extant with the '59 change to the S&T Large Circle Cross coupled with the Santa Fe continuing to repaint these cars past the end of time leads me to state there is a very high likelyhood that many of those Bx-37s did receive that scheme and it's successor with "Santa Fe"  instead of S&T.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:46 PM

Ron Merrick.

mopacfirst

Somehow this thought drifted off track.  I lived in Santa Fe country during my formative years and have never been far from it since, in fact I'm in Wichita right now.  My question wasn't about Santa Fe painting the cars, but rather whether Intermountain ever did a run of these cars in the 59 to 71 circle-cross S&T scheme.  I find it hard to believe, in all the early and late versions they've done, and knowing Intermountain's propensity for overdoing things they think will sell, that I've never seen this scheme.  And there are a lot of things I miss because of not paying enough attention, but this seems hard to believe from that standpoint also. 

Thanks to all who posted photos anyway.

Ron Merrick

Charles Peck

Not being well acquainted with the AT&SF, I am puzzled by the reference to a "S&T" 
paint scheme.  Can someone explain or post a link to a photo that illustrates the S&T?
Chuck Peck in FL

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 4:18 PM, ron.merrick@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Somehow this thought drifted off track.  I lived in Santa Fe country during my formative years and have never been far from it since, in fact I'm in Wichita right now.  My question wasn't about Santa Fe painting the cars, but rather whether Intermountain ever did a run of these cars in the 59 to 71 circle-cross S&T scheme.  I find it hard to believe, in all the early and late versions they've done, and knowing Intermountain's propensity for overdoing things they think will sell, that I've never seen this scheme.  And there are a lot of things I miss because of not paying enough attention, but this seems hard to believe from that standpoint also. 

Thanks to all who posted photos anyway.

Ron Merrick

Benjamin Hom

Chuck Peck asked:
"Not being well acquainted with the AT&SF, I am puzzled by the reference to a "S&T" 
paint scheme.  Can someone explain or post a link to a photo that illustrates the S&T?"

S&T = Ship and Travel Santa Fe

Large Circle and Cross on a Class Bx-52 PS-1 (after the era of this list)
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf276502ajs.jpg

Ben Hom

Charles Peck

Thank you folks for the enlightenment.  I've seen that S&T scheme, just failed to make the connection.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Chuck Peck asked:
"Not being well acquainted with the AT&SF, I am puzzled by the reference to a "S&T" 
paint scheme.  Can someone explain or post a link to a photo that illustrates the S&T?"

Jim Williams <wwww5960@...>

Ship and travel

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 7:02 PM, "Charles Peck lnnrr152@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Thank you folks for the enlightenment.  I've seen that S&T scheme, just failed to make the connection.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Chuck Peck asked: