the owner of the first tank car behind the locomotive

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Anyone have some ideas on the owner of the first (3-compaqrtment tank) car behind the locomotive? One can almost (but not quite) make it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31038626@N07/3249257022/sizes/o/

Claus Schlund

Tony Thompson

Claus Schlund wrote:

Anyone have some ideas on the owner of the first (3-compaqrtment tank) car behind the locomotive? One can almost (but not quite)
make it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31038626@N07/3249257022/sizes/o/

       The owner clearly is General American, GATX. Probably you want to know the lessee, which I can't quite read either.

Tony Thompson

Eric Hansmann

As per the reporting marks, GATX is the car owner with number 31230. I think the lessor is Union Carbide, based upon the lettering on the lower side of the tank.

The larger lettering seems to read: Carbide and Carbon Chemicals Company.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Jun 13, 2016, at 12:35 PM, 'Claus Schlund HGM' claus@hellgatemodels.com [STMFC] <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Anyone have some ideas on the owner of the first (3-compaqrtment tank) car behind the locomotive? One can almost (but not quite)
make it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31038626@N07/3249257022/sizes/o/

Claus Schlund

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Claus Schlund HGM" <claus@hellgatemodels.com>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Richard Townsend

The lessor is "Carbide and Carbon Chemicals Company" which was a subsidiary of Union Carbide established in 1920. The owner is General American.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Anyone have some ideas on the owner of the first (3-compaqrtment tank) car behind the locomotive? One can almost (but not quite)
make it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31038626@N07/3249257022/sizes/o/

Claus Schlund

Bruce Smith

Interestingly, this car, which is clearly a retrofit of 2 additional compartments onto a single compartment car does not appear to be of General American design and in fact appears to be an AC&F designed car.  I know, lots of cars moved between companies :)

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jun 13, 2016, at 12:35 PM, 'Claus Schlund HGM' claus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Anyone have some ideas on the owner of the first (3-compaqrtment tank) car behind the locomotive? One can almost (but not quite)
make it out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31038626@N07/3249257022/sizes/o/

Claus Schlund

Todd Sullivan

And Carbide and Carbon Chemicals Company (CCBX reporting marks) had large operations in South Charleston, Clendenin and Institute, WV, and in Texas City and Seadrift, TX.  They produced a lot of industrial  chemicals including ethylene, Bakelite, butadiene and styrene.

Interesting history on the Union Carbide website and Wikipedia.

Todd Sullivan
Liverpool, NY