Caboose On End Of Train

richramik@...

I am modeling fall of 1955 and I am proto-lancing.  All of the equipment I use must be based on some prototype that was in use during that time period, i.e., new or reaching the end of the service life, etc.

On my freight trains (mandatory content) there will be a caboose as per agreements with the union.  For a part of the hack fleet, I will be using the ubiquitous Northeast Caboose.  However, I would also like to use a bay window caboose as well.

I am looking for suggestions as to what would be prototypical and available in plastic that I could use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

Bruce Smith

Rich,

Are you asking what is the best detailed HO plastic bay window caboose?  Or which one best represents whatever prototype it represents?  Because those two may not be exactly the same thing.

Since you have chosen not to model a prototype, nothing you do is "prototypical". Perhaps a better word might be believable?

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

I am modeling fall of 1955 and I am proto-lancing.  All of the equipment I use must be based on some prototype that was in use during that time period, i.e., new or reaching the end of the service life, etc.

On my freight trains (mandatory content) there will be a caboose as per agreements with the union.  For a part of the hack fleet, I will be using the ubiquitous Northeast Caboose.  However, I would also like to use a bay window caboose as well.

I am looking for suggestions as to what would be prototypical and available in plastic that I could use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

devansprr

Spring Mills Depot's B&O I-12  Caboose is spectacular - and available in an undecorated kit (go to the ordering page):

http://www.springmillsdepot.com/i-12main.htm

Dave Evans

richramik@...

Bruce:

Well put.  I would be looking for the model(s) that best represent the prototype being modeled.

"Believable" good choice as well.

Thanks, Rich Ramik

[...]

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Rich,

Since you are looking for plastic, your choices are rather bit limited. The Athearn car is probably your best choice. It more or less represents an SP prototype circa 1954, though lots of other roads had similar cabooses. The kits are now rare, but assembled cars are easy to find at swap meets. Model Power has a somewhat shorter, and much cruder, bay window caboose from the Marx train set line. The only short-length caboose like this I can think of was an L&N car. Walthers has done many short runs of cabooses with nice detail, but the only bay window I ever noticed was a Milwaukee horizontal rib car. That may be a bit too road specific for your tastes.

If you could find one, Silver Streak used to offer a wood and metal SP bay window car, and they also offered a converted boxcar with bays. This car was also offered in plastic from Tru-Scale, Train Miniature and Walthers. They turn up at swap meets, and would make a very interesting caboose that could be detailed to your tastes.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/28/16 4:31 PM, richramik@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

Bill Welch

I have several photos of L&N (and NC&StL) bay window cabooses and none of them are "short." Anyway you can share photos of short bay window cabooses with me Garth?

Bill Welch

Todd Sullivan

There are a lot of cabooses available in kit form from American Model Builders at LASERkit Splash Page

If you go to their home page, click on HO and then on Cabooses, you can just scroll though the list.  There are a few short bay window cabooses and lots of other interesting types.

Todd Sullivan
Liverpool, NY

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff wrote:

Since you are looking for plastic, your choices are rather bit limited. The Athearn car is probably your best choice. It more or less represents an SP prototype circa 1954, though lots of other roads had similar cabooses.

      Actually, it's a 1960 SP caboose, though kitbashable (not simply) to represent 1950s classes.

 If you could find one, Silver Streak used to offer a wood and metal SP bay window car, and they also offered a converted boxcar with bays.

       That Silver Streak bay window car is not only oversize (like many Silver Streak cars), but represents a single experimental SP car. I'm not aware of any other railroad which did the same. But Garth may know of some.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bill,

This SBD car was ex-L&N. It still had the L&N safety herald. Maybe it isn't short, but just looks that way because of the two blanked out windows. Photo was taken here in Charlottesville, VA on the old C&O Mountain Division about the time of the CSX formation, say 1990 at the latest.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/28/16 6:50 PM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] wrote:

I have several photos of L&N (and NC&StL) bay window cabooses and none of them are "short." Anyway you can share photos of short bay window cabooses with me Garth?

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Garth:

Unable to view any visual. If it was a short caboose, it was a "one or two of" and there is no kit

There are no kits of L&N Bay Window cabooses built in our era, either the wood or steel sheathed versions and I thought the questioner was looking for kit possibilities.

Bill Welch

mwbauers

On Jun 29, 2016, at 7:45 AM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Garth:

Unable to view any visual. If it was a short caboose, it was a "one or two of" and there is no kit

There are no kits of L&N Bay Window cabooses built in our era, either the wood or steel sheathed versions and I thought the questioner was looking for kit possibilities.

Bill Welch

What I see there is the strong possibility to take any model bay window caboose model produced in the last 30 years…..

Even a cast-off old shell…

And rebuild it to become that wanted caboose.

Splice and assemble two bodies into the single needed body if you wish.

The old body or full car is the bulk of the wanted ‘kit’. The majority of the rest of the ‘kit’ is common assorted sheet styrene or similar flat material.

It’s even more fun than just assembling a normal kit.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

railsnw@...

The movie the Flim Flam Man was just on the other night and it had an L&N bay window caboose in one of the train scenes. The movie is just past our cutoff date.

Rich Wilkens

Louie B. Hydrick

Greetings,

The L&N did have a rather substantial group of cabins that were shorter than most other bay window cabooses I observed or rode in the southeast in the 1970's - 1980's.

These cabins were home built reusing much salvage.  The seats were generally old passenger car seats.  At least one of these cabins was transferred to the Georgia due to a derailment, and that one still exists on private property in middle Georgia.  There were variations in interior equipment and fitting from cabin to cabin.  At least one cabin had old parlor car pedestal chairs instead of the more typical paired coach seats.

They rode like a buckboard on flat wheels, and the experience was that you felt like you were riding in a shaken tin can of rocks.  The crews were greatly relieved when the were assigned one of the ex-ACL or RF&P cabins instead of the L&N "Rattle Cans".

Louie B. Hydrick
Associate Broker
RE/MAX Partners
4316 Washington Rd.
Evans GA 30809-3957

706-922-7355 office
706-922-7368 direct office
706-922-7356 fax
706-832-6263 cell

Or visit me on the web at:www.csrahomesandland.com
or http://www.louiebhydrick.remax-georgia.com/

richramik@...

Bruce, Dave, Mike, et al:

You have all provided me with more than sufficient information to ponder.  The idea of hacking (poor pun) or splicing together caboose is rather intriguing.  Possibly even start with the Northeast caboose and go from there.  And the I-12 caboose is absolutely fantastic.  Almost makes me wish I were a B&O modeler.

Anyway, thanks for all of the support/suggestions.

Sincerely,
Rich Ramik

On 06/27/16, richramik@... [STMFC] wrote:

I am modeling fall of 1955 and I am proto-lancing.  All of the equipment I use must be based on some prototype that was in use during that time period, i.e., new or reaching the end of the service life, etc.

On my freight trains (mandatory content) there will be a caboose as per agreements with the union.  For a part of the hack fleet, I will be using the ubiquitous Northeast Caboose.  However, I would also like to use a bay window caboose as well.

I am looking for suggestions as to what would be prototypical and available in plastic that I could use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

Brian Termunde

Back in the mid 1990's, I purchased a couple of Life-Like's N Scale NE Style cabeese, I intended to remove the cupola and add a bay window (I think from a Con-Cor car, but I don't remember now) and use them for my freelanced railroad. I never did get around to doing so (although I still have the undec cabeese - somewhere!).

I liked having a short bay window caboose that would definitely NOT be an Espee look alike - not that I dislike the Espee's, I just wanted something distinctive.

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

4c. Re: Caboose On End Of Train
Posted by: richramik@... rjramik
Date: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:08 pm ((PDT))

Bruce, Dave, Mike, et al:

You have all provided me with more than sufficient information to
ponder. The idea of hacking (poor pun) or splicing together
caboose is rather intriguing. Possibly even start with the
Northeast caboose and go from there. And the I-12 caboose is
absolutely fantastic. Almost makes me wish I were a B&O modeler.

Anyway, thanks for all of the support/suggestions.

Sincerely,
Rich Ramik

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Brian, and Rich,

Talk about a distinctive caboose: http://www.fandckits.com/HO_Cabooses/509.html .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Date: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:08 pm ((PDT))

Bruce, Dave, Mike, et al:

You have all provided me with more than sufficient information to
ponder. The idea of hacking (poor pun) or splicing together
caboose is rather intriguing. Possibly even start with the
Northeast caboose and go from there. And the I-12 caboose is
absolutely fantastic. Almost makes me wish I were a B&O modeler.

Anyway, thanks for all of the support/suggestions.

Sincerely,
Rich Ramik

Brian Termunde

Thanks for the link Garth. Yes, the IC had some VERY unique cabooses!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

4b. Re: Caboose On End Of Train
Posted by: "Garth Groff" sarahsan@... ggg9y
Date: Sat Jul 2, 2016 2:00 pm ((PDT))

Brian, and Rich,

Talk about a distinctive caboose:
http://www.fandckits.com/HO_Cabooses/509.html .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

richramik@...

Hey, being BCR, if you blink too fast, you won't see it go by.

Rich Ramik