From: 'Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.' rdgbuff56@... [STMFC] ;
To: Yahoo! Inc. ;
Subject: [STMFC] P2K Mather Stock Cars
Sent: Tue, Jun 28, 2016 10:45:53 PM

I have a number of these Mather stock cars.

C&NW
B&O
NP
GN
CB&Q

My question, which ones have enclosed ends and which ones have slatted ends.

Thanks for any help!
Francis A. Pehowic, Jr.
Sunbury, Pa.

Benjamin Hom

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr. asked:
"I have a number of these Mather stock cars.

C&NW
B&O
NP
GN
CB&Q

My question, which ones have enclosed ends and which ones have slatted ends?"

Definitely B&O and CB&Q, as shown in this Richard Hendrickson article in the May 1997 issue of Railmodel Journal:

Unfortunately, I'm unable to check his article in the February 1997 issue for the other cars on the Trainlife website as it's among those that are corrupted and will not load images.  I'm having doubts that they'll ever fix this.  This is why I'm hanging onto my paper copies.

Ben Hom

Richard Townsend

Um, Ben, definitely what? Enclosed or slatted?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----
My question, which ones have enclosed ends and which ones have slatted ends?"

Definitely B&O and CB&Q, as shown in this Richard Hendrickson article in the May 1997 issue of Railmodel Journal:

Benjamin Hom

Dale Florence wrote:
"I take it that you have these cars. Just look at the ends."

Doesn't answer the mail.  He's asking the question because these models require some minor work by the modeler in two areas to match specific prototypes - opening up the slats in the ends for cars that had slatted ends, and adjusting the car sides around the reporting marks, opening up the areas between slats as necessary.

Ben Hom

Jack Mullen

Photos that I've seen of Mather stockcars leased by C&NW all show solid ends (if the end is visible in the photo).

Jack Mullen

Benjamin Hom

I wrote:
"Definitely B&O and CB&Q, as shown in this Richard Hendrickson article in the May 1997 issue of Railmodel Journal:
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/369/27086/may-1997-page-12

Richard Townshend replied:
"Um, Ben, definitely what? Enclosed or slatted?"

Sorry about that - slatted.  One caveat, though - the cars that were stretched to 50 ft have enclosed ends.

Of course, if you went to the linked article and looked at the photos, it should have been obvious. ;)

Ben Hom