Anyone know the railroad that owns the flat car? Is it CT&SE?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Anyone know the railroad that owns the flat car? Is it CT&SE?

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth207477/m1/1/

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

Claus, I can't help with your question, but I sure hope those boys have a
bunch of friends who are going to help when they roll that tank down those
two timbers facing the camera. Maybe they'll have some ropes and horses on
the other side to let it down real easy like.

Schuyler

List Members,

Anyone know the railroad that owns the flat car? Is it CT&SE?

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth207477/m1/1/

Claus Schlund

Eric Hansmann

Wasn't there a Texas Southeastern back in the Oughts?

Gosh, I miss Cyril D chiming in to set the record straight.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Jul 27, 2016, at 7:58 PM, 'Claus Schlund HGM' claus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Anyone know the railroad that owns the flat car? Is it CT&SE?

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth207477/m1/1/

Claus Schlund

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Claus Schlund HGM" <claus@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

al_brown03

Sure *is*: but the Texas South-Eastern's name has a hyphen in it.

My guess is CTSE 30000-30499, 40' 50-ton flat, 115 cars as of 1/43. One needn't use a heavy-duty flat for that load: an empty tank is pretty light.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

D. Scott Chatfield

Claus Schlund wrote:

Anyone know the railroad that owns the flat car? Is it CT&SE?

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth207477/m1/1/

It appears that the letters "CT" appear just to the left of the
car number, the rest obscured by one of the men, so yes, I'd say
it was a Chicago Terra Haute & Southeastern car, and the photo
appears to be from before the Milwaukee purchased the Southeastern.
The CT&SE was the only road that I'm aware of that called itself
just the "SOUTHEASTERN" on its cars.

The Texas South-Eastern, which still exists as far as I know, is
a paper mill shortline that has always spelled out its full name
on its cars, when it bothered to do so at all.

Yes, I do hope those men have given some thought to easing that pipe
off that car, and not being in its path.... Murphy's Law and all.

Scott Chatfield

John Degnan <Scaler164@...>

I zoomed in on the photo and that "CT" looks much more like a "C.W..." or a "C.V..." to my eyes.

John Degnan

It appears that the letters "CT" appear just to the left of the
car number, the rest obscured by one of the men, so yes, I'd say
it was a Chicago Terra Haute & Southeastern car, and the photo
appears to be from before the Milwaukee purchased the Southeastern.
The CT&SE was the only road that I'm aware of that called itself
just the "SOUTHEASTERN" on its cars.

The Texas South-Eastern, which still exists as far as I know, is
a paper mill shortline that has always spelled out its full name
on its cars, when it bothered to do so at all.

Yes, I do hope those men have given some thought to easing that pipe
off that car, and not being in its path....  Murphy's Law and all.

Scott Chatfield

earlyrail

Odds are you are correct.
If you zoom in and look where they are standing on the right, you can see reporting marks. It appears to be CT....E
A check of the 1919 ORER show the CT&SE has a 40' flat series that this car number matches.

Howard Garner

John Degnan <Scaler164@...>

Now that I look at it again, it looks more like CM...E than the CW I suggested this morning.

John Degnan

If you zoom in and look where they are standing on the right, you can
see reporting marks.  It appears to be CT....E
A check of the 1919 ORER show the CT&SE has a 40' flat series that this
car number matches.

Howard Garner

---

Posted by: Howard R Garner