Stars On Boxcar Door?

thecitrusbelt@...

Does anyone know the meaning of the two stars on the boxcar door seen on this photo link?

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/8th-february-1936-a-large-group-of-transient-men-is-led-back-onto-a-picture-id3206074

I cannot determine the owner of the boxcar.

The caption reads, "A large group of transient men is led back onto a train boxcar to send them away from Los Angeles, California. They had arrived in California by riding in the freight boxcars on February 8th, 1936."

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

Do those stars indicate the type of auto rack installed in the box car?

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

Does anyone know the meaning of the two stars on the boxcar door seen on this photo link?

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/8th-february-1936-a-large-group-of-transient-men-is-led-back-onto-a-picture-id3206074

I cannot determine the owner of the boxcar.

The caption reads, "A large group of transient men is led back onto a train boxcar to send them away from Los Angeles, California. They had arrived in California by riding in the freight boxcars on February 8th, 1936."

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Bob,

I believe that the stars are a notation as to the type of automobile rack in the car. These marking usually denote the type of loader, the clearance and the number of floor tubes, but it is my understanding that custom markings could be used… and given the photo is relatively early in the auto rack era it may be before the general rules were created.

I love the script “autos” on the door… but I can’t tell if it is a stencil or a chalk mark.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Aug 3, 2016, at 10:29 AM, STMFC@... wrote:
Does anyone know the meaning of the two stars on the boxcar door seen on this photo link?
I cannot determine the owner of the boxcar.
The caption reads, "A large group of transient men is led back onto a train boxcar to send them away from Los Angeles, California. They had arrived in California by riding in the freight boxcars on February 8th, 1936."
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro

Tim O'Connor

The car appears to have steel side sheathing. The Southern Pacific
had single sheathed auto box cars built with steel sheathing, such as
the 50 foot A-50-10. But the posts and diagonals are closer together
than on that SP car, so I wonder if this is a 40 foot car.

Tim O'Connor

Bob,

I believe that the stars are a notation as to the type of automobile rack in the car. These marking usually denote the type of loader, the clearance and the number of floor tubes, but it is my understanding that custom markings could be used� and given the photo is relatively early in tthe auto rack era it may be before the general rules were created.

I love the script "autos" on the door� but I can't tell if it is a stencil or a challk mark.

Regards

Bruce F. Smith

Does anyone know the meaning of the two stars on the boxcar door seen on this photo link?
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/8th-february-1936-a-large-group-of-transient-men-is-led-back-onto-a-picture-id3206074
Bob Chaparro

MDelvec952

On many roads a star on the door or near the number on a baggage or express car would signify that the car was equipped for a messenger, and that someone may be on board.  We don't know the story behind this photo, but if the car was intended to carry any of those people in a passenger train (one does have a bed roll), that may be the case here. There is a camp car nearby.

On the Lackawanna steel cabooses a star near the number denoted a flush toilet. Might convey the same message, after all.

              ....Mike Del Vecchio

[...]

Jack Mullen

I don't believe hat this is a steel-sheathed car. I think he darkness of the image tends to conceal board joints, but there is one fairly obvious horizontal line just below the level of the uppermost ladder rung.

I tentatively identify the car as a T&P 61xxx series 40' auto car. Lettering on the door, partly cut off at the top of the image suggests T&P reporting marks. The 3720 cu ft capacity marking matches this series of cars. What details are visible of the doors, door stops, side truss, and ladder are a match.

Jack Mullen

Jack Mullen

Tim,
I don't believe this is a steel-sheathed car. I think the darkness of the image conceals the joints, which aren't very prominent on a well-maintained SS car anyway. There is a fairly obvious horizontal line visible near the top of the side, just below the level of the top ladder rung.

I tentatively identify this as a T&P 61xxx series 40' SS auto car. There's some lettering on the door, at the very top of the image which I thing are reporting marks and car number. The upper part of the letters are cut off, but what's visible suggests that the first characters are T&P.  The  m arked capacity, 3720 cuft, matches the 61xxx series cars. Visible details of the doors, door stops, and side truss are a good match, and the T&P cars did have initials and number on the r.h. door above the placard board.

btw, this is my second attempt at sending this post, the first try sent but hasn't appeared. Anyone else having recent problems with posts going into limbo either temporarily or permanently?

Jack Mullen

Bruce Smith

​Mike,

Nope.  Absolutely not the case here.  The star for messenger equipped cars was adopted in 1948.  The photo was taken in 1936 of an AUTOMOBILE boxcar.  I am not aware of any boxcar, ever, equipped with auto loaders (the horizontal white stripe on the door) and messenger service (desk and toilet).

Regards

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

[...]

Ted Culotta

Tim,

I think if you look at the far right, you can discern sheathing boards. Also, the stencil on the door that is cut off on the upper edge of the photo looks to be "T&P" making it a T&P auto car, I believe built by Pressed Steel in 1929.

Cheers,
Ted Culotta

Charles Hladik

All,

    It also looks like there are "braces" along the side.

Chuck Hladik