NKP 22000-22349 series boxcars

D. Scott Chatfield

Been looking for a photo of this series with no luck. I'm building a Third Rail Graphics model for a friend. This is a Front Range double-door 40-footer, but based on the data printed on the model I seriously doubt the prototype is a match for it. I'm curious what doors, roof, and ends this series had. I've looked on line, in the Morning Sun color guide, and so on.

The N&W listing in the October 1965 ORER (I know, after this list's cutoff) says the series are "all steel, Z-bar" 40-foot boxcars with 10'0" inside height and 12'0" door openings. Not sure what is so special about Z-bar that it needs to be called out in the listing. Are these rebuilds of single-sheath boxcars?

thanks
Scott Chatfield

al_brown03

There's a photo of NKP 22239, unfortunately partly obscured by steam, in RMJ 7/89, pp 8-10.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Ed Hawkins

blindog@... [STMFC] wrote:
Been looking for a photo of this series with no luck. I'm building a Third Rail Graphics model for a friend. This is a Front Range double-door 40-footer, but based on the data printed on the model I seriously doubt the prototype is a match for it. I'm curious what doors, roof, and ends this series had. I've looked on line, in the Morning Sun color guide, and so on.

The N&W listing in the October 1965 ORER (I know, after this list's cutoff) says the series are "all steel, Z-bar" 40-foot boxcars with 10'0" inside height and 12'0" door openings. Not sure what is so special about Z-bar that it needs to be called out in the listing. Are these rebuilds of single-sheath boxcars?

thanks
Scott Chatfield
Scott,
NKP 22000-22349 were built by Standard Steel Car Co. in 1929. The SSC builder photo obtained from Keith Retterer many years ago of NKP 22249 has a 10-29 build date. NKP 22350-22499 were the same except with end doors.

The prototype cars were all-steel with 10'-0" IH, 12' clear door openings, sides with 3 panels to the left of the staggered door and 5 panels to the right, 3-section Dreadnaught ends (the "recessed type" with the seams across the corrugations, and Murphy flat-panel roof with Z-U eaves. Specialties included Youngstown doors, Peacock (22000-22249) and Ureco (22250-2234) hand brakes, and A.R.A. spring-plank trucks. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

David

Double-sheathed rebuilds with a fairly deep inset sill. Z-bar callout was for the roof eave. Sunshine did the 10'6" rebuilds: http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun64b.pdf

David Thompson

Ray Breyer

>>Double-sheathed rebuilds with a fairly deep inset sill. Z-bar callout was for the roof eave. Sunshine did the 10'6" rebuilds: >>http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun64b.pdf
>>David Thompson

Nope: 22000-22349, and 22350-22499 (with end doors). All-steel boxcars built by Standard Steel in 1929. These were the first all-steel freight cars bought new by the NKP, and are vaguely similar to 1932 ARA boxcars.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL
_

Tim O'Connor

Photo references: Railmodel Journal 7/1989 p.9, 6/1993 pp.12-16

Tim O'Connor

Nope: 22000-22349, and 22350-22499 (with end doors). All-steel boxcars built by Standard Steel in 1929. These were the first all-steel freight cars bought new by the NKP, and are vaguely similar to 1932 ARA boxcars.
http://thecourier.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834ca83d669e2019b001fdfa4970c-pi

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Kenneth Schanz

Per the NKPHTS Company Store the Summer 2005 issue of their magazine has an article titled ... By Any Other Name by Peter K. Shepherd; on the 22000's.  Includes 10/23/29 builders photos of 22249 and an additional view of 22341.

Ken Schanz

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 1:59 PM, "Ray Breyer rtbsvrr69@... [STMFC]" wrote:

>>Double-sheathed rebuilds with a fairly deep inset sill. Z-bar callout was for the roof eave. Sunshine did the 10'6" rebuilds: >>http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun64b.pdf
>>David Thompson

Nope: 22000-22349, and 22350-22499 (with end doors). All-steel boxcars built by Standard Steel in 1929. These were the first all-steel freight cars bought new by the NKP, and are vaguely similar to 1932 ARA boxcars.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL
_

pennsylvania1954

As Tim suggested, I went to the RMJ issues he cited. Although I have the issues on the shelf, in the midst of lunch, I elected to go online to

https://www.trainlife.com/ .

What a surprise! The good guys at Exactrail have been busy, taking over ownership of the site, creating online and brick and mortar stores and maintaining the magazine database. They have lots of plans. I recommend y'all check it out.

Oh, yeah. The photos of the subject cars don't show much.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL