DL&W yard and distant freight cars - 1911

Schuyler Larrabee

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-07-16/B0798.jpg et seq.

This image plus the few after this one show a LARGE number of steam era freight cars in 1911, way before the transition era, but still very interesting.  Since these are glass plate negatives, the resolution is quite sharp even when zoomed way in.

Check out the loads in both the open topped cars and the hoppers.  Not all coal is the same, even in two cars coupled together.  All the coal you see, though, is most likely Anthracite, just in different sizes.

Enjoy!

Schuyler

Eric Hansmann

Schuyler,

The next couple of images are great! A Buffalo & Susquehanna steel gondola is featured. I didn’t know the B&S had any steel gons.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielack-photo/erielack-08-07-16/B0799.jpg

And note a Shawmut box car is parked on the stores track to the right of the roundhouse.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2016 11:34 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] DL&W yard and distant freight cars - 1911

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-07-16/B0798.jpg et seq.

This image plus the few after this one show a LARGE number of steam era freight cars in 1911, way before the transition era, but still very interesting.  Since these are glass plate negatives, the resolution is quite sharp even when zoomed way in.

Check out the loads in both the open topped cars and the hoppers.  Not all coal is the same, even in two cars coupled together.  All the coal you see, though, is most likely Anthracite, just in different sizes.

Enjoy!

Schuyler

Tim O'Connor

Eric

What a fantastic picture! It captures the industrialization of America perfectly. The bucolic
scenery, and then a massive, brand new roundhouse and railroad yard. And you have to love
that foot path from the roundhouse to the boarding house!!

And photographed from a CULM BANK ? A hundred foot tall pile of waste rock ?? What a
lovely addition to the scenery! :-)

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler,

The next couple of images are great! A Buffalo & Susquehanna steel gondola is featured. I didn�t know the B&S had any steel gons.

And note a Shawmut box car is parked on the stores track to the right of the roundhouse.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

Eric Hansmann

Agreed.

This collection is nearly pure gold and an amazing historical documentation of massive changes in Lackawanna Country.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 12:00 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] DL&W yard and distant freight cars - 1911

Eric

What a fantastic picture! It captures the industrialization of America perfectly. The bucolic
scenery, and then a massive, brand new roundhouse and railroad yard. And you have to love

And photographed from a CULM BANK ? A hundred foot tall pile of waste rock ?? What a

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler,

The next couple of images are great! A Buffalo & Susquehanna steel gondola is featured. I didnt know the B&S had any steel gons.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

Schleigh Mike

You stole my comment, Eric----

B&S 10001-10500  Pressed Steel Car Co.  1905-06 (B&O 139028-249)
B&S 10501-11250  Unknown builder  (Same B&O series)
B&S 12101-12600  PSCCo.  1907  (B&O 11601-12595)

All 41-9 IL cars with drop bottoms.  Did not last long past the B&S acquisition of 1932.

PS&N 9143 was from series 9100-9199, AC&F 1899, originally 100-199.  36-8 IL, 30 ton cars, note with Fox trucks.

Ah the old stuff----great times!

Mike Schleigh, Grove City, Penna.

On Monday, August 8, 2016 2:08 PM, "'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Agreed.

This collection is nearly pure gold and an amazing historical documentation of massive changes in Lackawanna Country.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 12:00 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] DL&W yard and distant freight cars - 1911

Eric

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler,

The next couple of images are great! A Buffalo & Susquehanna steel gondola is featured. I didnt know the B&S had any steel gons.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso , TX

William Dale

What I found most interesting is the DL&W "Vehicle" box 4077 (4000-4099).  I dug out my oldest ORER from April 1930 and it is listed as a staggered door vehicle box with steel under frame with a height of 14'8'' to the top of the running board! That seems like quite a large piece of rolling stock for the day.  As there were only 3 left on the roster in April '30, this I'm sure would have been built 1890's???? would this have had some kind of auto loader in it??? This era is not my strongest, anyone possibly have an answer.

William Dale

Benjamin Hom

William Dale asked:
"What I found most interesting is the DL&W "Vehicle" box 4077 (4000-4099).  I dug out my oldest ORER from April 1930 and it is listed as a staggered door vehicle box with steel under frame with a height of 14'8'' to the top of the running board! That seems like quite a large piece of rolling stock for the day." 

It was very large for its day.  These monster cars were fairly rare, but 36 ft double-sheathed automobile/furniture cars were more numerous than you think.  Here are contemporary examples from PRR and NYC:

PRR Class XLC 

NYC Lot 247-B

"As there were only 3 left on the roster in April '30, this I'm sure would have been built 1890's?"

If it had a steel underframe, not 1890s, but more likely post-1905 unless it was rebuilt with one.

"Would this have had some kind of auto loader in it? This era is not my strongest, anyone possibly have an answer?"

No auto loader.  These didn't appear until the 1930s.

Ben Hom

richramik@...

Looking at the photo I noticed a "WORK CAR" in back of the 4-4-0 camelback.

Curious as to the "growth" on the roof of the car.  What was it used for?

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

On 08/08/16, Schleigh Mike mike_schleigh@... [STMFC] wrote:

You stole my comment, Eric----

All 41-9 IL cars with drop bottoms.  Did not last long past the B&S acquisition of 1932.

PS&N 9143 was from series 9100-9199, AC&F 1899, originally 100-199.  36-8 IL, 30 ton cars, note with Fox trucks.

On Monday, August 8, 2016 2:08 PM, "'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Agreed.

This collection is nearly pure gold andan amazing historical documentation of massive changes in Lackawanna Country.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

Sent: Monday, August 08, 201612:00 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] DL&W yardand distant freight cars - 1911

Eric

scenery, and then a massive, brand new roundhouse and railroad yard. And youhave to love

And photographed from a CULM BANK ? A hundred foot tall pile of waste rock ??What a

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler,

The next couple of images are great! A Buffalo & Susquehanna steel gondolais featured. I didnt know the B&S had any steel gons.

And note a Shawmut box car is parked on the stores track to the right of theroundhouse.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso , TX

MDelvec952

Most of the DL&W boxcars with those boxes on the roof are lettered as "PAINTERS CARS" for maintaining everything from depots to bridges to signs or anything along the right-of-way. These cars regularly show up on team tracks or spurs near stations in this photo collection.

Does anyone recognize that DL&W with the Howe-truss-like bracing just under the 4-4-0 Camelback? There were a small batch of these; does anyone know the builder or if other roads had this car? I find these very interesting for the era.

Thanks                     ....Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Tue, Aug 9, 2016 1:55 pm
Subject: Re: Re: [STMFC] DL&W yard and distant freight cars - 1911

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

On 08/08/16, Schleigh Mike mike_schleigh@... [STMFC]<STMFC@...> wrote:

You stole my comment, Eric- ---

On Monday, August 8, 2016 2:08 PM, "'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Agreed.

This collection is nearly pure gold andan amazing historical documentation of massive changes in Lackawanna Country.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

Eric

scenery, and then a massive, brand new roundhouse and railroad yard. And youhave to love

And photographed from a CULM BANK ? A hundred foot tall pile of waste rock ??What a

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler,

Th e next couple of images are great! A Buffalo & Susquehanna steel gondolais featured. I didnt know the B&S had any steel gons.

And note a Shawmut box car is parked on the stores track to the right of theroundhouse.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso , TX

Douglas Harding

Rick the “growth” you reference is probably tool boxes  or storage boxes for supplies used by the crew. In that era if it was a stockcar similar boxes would contain hay and/or feed.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <richramik@...> wrote :

=============

We've seen these in other of these DL&W photos. They remind me of "wire train" work cars, where the roofs of a whole string of cars were used as a platform to assemble the catenary. Catenary overhead had lots of parts, and each span, often close to 300 feet in length, needed to be assembled at one time, adding weight evenly so the messenger wire kept its catenary curve as the parts were assembled, so there were large bins on the car roofs to hold all the components. I know Scranton is too far west for the electrification, but there's a good chance that these cars were surplus from the last big wire construction project, and were just reassigned as tool cars around the system, without removing the rooftop bins.

Dennis Storzek

John C. La Rue, Jr. <MOFWCABOOSE@...>

Er...the picture was taken in 1911, while the Lackawanna electrification did not begin until 1926.

Some work was undertaken and the cars with the bins on the roof were identified as supply cars. So far this design has only shown up on the Lackawanna.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL 

To: STMFC
Sent: Tue, Aug 9, 2016 4:29 pm

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

=============

We've seen these in other of these DL&W photos. They remind me of "wire train" work cars, where the roofs of a whole string of cars were used as a platform to assemble the catenary. Catenary overhead had lots of parts, and each span, often close to 300 feet in length, needed to be assembled at one time, adding weight evenly so the messenger wire kept its catenary curve as the parts were assembled, so there were large bins on the car roofs to hold all the components. I know Scranton is too far west for the electrification, but there's a good chance that these cars were surplus from the last big wire construction project, and were just reassigned as tool cars around the system, without removing the rooftop bins.

Dennis Storzek

richramik@...

Mike:

Thanks.  One last question on this type of car.  How long were these types of cars used, i.e., until the 1930's, 1940's. etc???

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

On 08/09/16, MDelvec952@... [STMFC] wrote:

Most of the DL&W boxcars with those boxes on the roof are lettered as "PAINTERS CARS" for maintaining everything from depots to bridges to signs or anything along the right-of-way. These cars regularly show up on team tracks or spurs near stations in this photo collection.

Does anyone recognize that DL&W with the Howe-truss-like bracing just under the 4-4-0 Camelback? There were a small batch of these; does anyone know the builder or if other roads had this car? I find these very interesting for the era.

Thanks                     ....Mike Del Vecchio

To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Tue, Aug 9, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

On 08/08/16, Schleigh Mike mike_schleigh@... [STMFC]<STMFC@...> wrote:

You stole my comment, Eric- ---

Agreed.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

STMFC@... [mailto: STMFC@... ]

Eric

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler,

Th e next couple of images are great! A Buffalo & Susquehanna steel gondolais featured. I didnt know the B&S had any steel gons.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso , TX