Topics

Data on AB air reservoir


Fred Jansz
 

Hi group, I'm building a few PFE reefers and noticed the data on the AB brake air reservoirs of the prototype. Unfortunately I can't read it. What does it say and is something like that available in a HO-scale decal? As far as I can tell there's nothing like that on the Microscale 501 & 414 PFE sets. Thanks for your assistance.
best regards
Fred Jansz



Dave Parker
 

Fred:

See Tony's blog.  Even if you find or fake the decals, the lettering will be largely illegible in HO (IMO).

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA





On Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:39 PM, "fred@... [STMFC]" wrote:


 
Hi group, I'm building a few PFE reefers and noticed the data on the AB brake air reservoirs of the prototype. Unfortunately I can't read it. What does it say and is something like that available in a HO-scale decal? As far as I can tell there's nothing like that on the Microscale 501 & 414 PFE sets. Thanks for your assistance.
best regards
Fred Jansz




Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>
 

Fred,

For tiny stuff like this Richard Hendrickson sometimes faked it. I remember in one of his articles he used N-scale decals and applied them upside down and backwards. Nobody was going to read it anyway.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff


On 9/8/16 6:07 PM, Dave Parker spottab@... [STMFC] wrote:
 
Fred:

See Tony's blog.  Even if you find or fake the decals, the lettering will be largely illegible in HO (IMO).

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA





On Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:39 PM, "fred@... [STMFC]" wrote:


 
Hi group, I'm building a few PFE reefers and noticed the data on the AB brake air reservoirs of the prototype. Unfortunately I can't read it. What does it say and is something like that available in a HO-scale decal? As far as I can tell there's nothing like that on the Microscale 501 & 414 PFE sets. Thanks for your assistance.
best regards
Fred Jansz





Craig Zeni
 

On Sep 9, 2016, at 3:43 AM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

3a. Data on AB air reservoir
Posted by: fred@janszholding.nl fredwpjansz
Date: Thu Sep 8, 2016 2:38 pm ((PDT))

Hi group, I'm building a few PFE reefers and noticed the data on the AB brake air reservoirs of the prototype. Unfortunately I can't read it. What does it say and is something like that available in a HO-scale decal? As far as I can tell there's nothing like that on the Microscale 501 & 414 PFE sets. Thanks for your assistance.
best regards
Fred Jansz
I use an extra set of repack data cut to the 'size' I want. I seem to recall that Richard Hendrickson used some sort of generic N scale data on them - no doubt Tony will comment. In any case it's pretty much going illegible and if I have friends that call me on it...I might need new friends :)

Craig Zeni
Cary NC


Randy Hees
 

The lettering is the latest air brake test...  As others have noted it would be too small to be legible on a model, but for preservation its a wealth of information about the car's regular inspections, so we sand carefully down through the layers recording the information found, typically a date and location, with the lack of a current date showing  any periods when stored, so no air brake test, or when the last test was preformed.

From the late steam era, it was called a COTS for "Clean, Oil, Test, Stencil"  (with a date) Currently, (beyond the dates that this group covers) it has become a "Single Car Air Test" and is simply stenciled "ABT" and a date.   Current rules call for a test based on miles, with a test every two years if the car doesn't get used much.

Randy Hees



Dennis Storzek
 

As I recall, back in the steam era the only requirement was to stencil the initial of the servicing road, station symbol where the work was done, and the date in 1" letters on either the brake reservoir or cylinder. There was no reason to include the initials COTS; the data was on the brake equipment, and everybody knew that's what it pertained to. The use of the COTS initials is a sixties era thing, where the date was moved to the consolidated stencil on the car side.

Since the required information is the same as a repack stencil, just trim the RPKD letters off that decal and use it.

Dennis Storzek


Tony Thompson
 

I just use repack data, as Dennis recommends.
Tony Thompson


On Sep 9, 2016, at 8:53 AM, destorzek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 

As I recall, back in the steam era the only requirement was to stencil the initial of the servicing road, station symbol where the work was done, and the date in 1" letters on either the brake reservoir or cylinder. There was no reason to include the initials COTS; the data was on the brake equipment, and everybody knew that's what it pertained to. The use of the COTS initials is a sixties era thing, where the date was moved to the consolidated stencil on the car side.

Since the required information is the same as a repack stencil, just trim the RPKD letters off that decal and use it.

Dennis Storzek