Topics

Moving freight cars with team of horses

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Tim O'Connor

Or just freight cars in general! (1,281 photos)
http://digital.hagley.org/islandora/search?type=dismax&f[0]=mods_subject_topic_ms%3AFreight\%20cars

Tim O'

Randy Hees

The British were still using horses for switching through WWII....

Southern Pacific had a horse drawn narrow gauge branch until 1910... The Centerville branch connecting Newark with Centerville (now Fremont, CA)  They had inherited it when they leased the South Pacific Coast in 1887.  The South Pacific Coast was known to use horses in yards during high traffic periods or to move cars

The photos showing multi horse teams seem like overkill... To a large extent railroads were first invented in coal and slate mines to get wagons up out of the mud, and by doing so reduce friction.  A horse has a tractive effort of 1.5x its body weight (per modern humane society standards) while it is calculated that it takes 8lbs of force per ton to move a railroad car on level track.  Assuming a 50 ton car (car weight and tare for a 40 ton capacity car) it would take 750lbs of force.  A typical draft horse is about 2000 lbs with a 3000 lb tractive effort rating...

At the railroad museum at Ardenwood (SPCRR.org) we used horses as locomotives for our narrow gauge railroad until a couple of years ago.  On several occasions we pulled three cars with one horse on a 1% grade through a 24 degree curve.  Early on we had tested effort required to move one of our 15 ton capacity narrow gauge cars by using a strain gauge.  The effort varied a bit, but was generally about 400 lbs per car, which is consistent with the tables found in Porter Locomotive catalogs.

Randy Hees

Paul Doggett <paul.doggett2472@...>

The last Shunting  (switching ) horse was retired in 1965 believe it or not.

On Sun, 11 Sep, 2016 at 15:55, Randy Hees randyhees@... [STMFC]
wrote:

[...]

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <claus@...> wrote :

Hi List Members,

These images might also be of interest...

http://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A2365878

http://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A2365365

http://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A2366537

Claus Schlund

Is this the Fells Point area of Baltimore? The trackage was in the streets, and so tightly curved from the days when railroad equipment was so much smaller, that the PRR eventually went to rubber tired battery powered tractors to switch the area.

http://prr.railfan.net/RubberTiredSwitchers.html

Dennis Storzek

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Dennis and List Members,

The signs that appear in the background certainly indicate Baltimore as the location

Claus Schlund