USRA hoppers for Westmoreland - was Photo help for M&STL hoppers

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Lester and List Members,

Lester wrote "The small data sheet states the hoppers were acquired from Westmoreland Coal Company via Hyman- Michaels"

I have two questions:

(1) Does anyone know, did Westmoreland own any USRA hoppers (or copies)? If so, does anyone know of any references (online or offline) to images of these?

(2) Does anyone know of any published articles or other information regarding Westmoreland Coal and Coke and their railroad operations in general? I've seen more than one such article on Berwind, but have seen nothing that I can recall regarding Westmoreland...

Thanks

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 7:48 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Photo help for M&STL hoppers

The current project is the upgrade of six Athearn and Accurail open top hoppers, four MILWAUKEE, one SOO LINE and two MINNEAPOLIS & ST LOUIS, to what I call the "Kadee Standard." The upgrade which includes wire grabs, brake wheel, retainer valve and line, train line, etc., I was able to complete the MILWAUKEE and SOO LINE hoppers as I was able to find photos to complete; however, I have had no success finding a photo for the M&STL hoppers.  The M&STL hoppers are USRA 5th Ave Car Shops plastic kits painted, lettered and numbered correctly 65243 and 65287 for series 65001 to 65355, odd only, delivered in 1943. The small data sheet states the hoppers were acquired from Westmoreland Coal Company via Hyman- Michaels.  The best photo I could find was on RR Picture Archieves of hopper 63537  which is similar in design; however, I can not be sure if same hand brake, retainer valve location, and uncoupling lever type remained the same for the 65001 to 65355 series. So photo help needed.   BTW the photo I found can be viewed at 
Thank you for your time and effort to help in advance.   Lester Breuer

SUVCWORR@...

The company still exists for their website and corporate history see

http://westmoreland.com/about-us/our-timeline/

There is on very small photo with hoppers in it.

Since this line was affiliated with the PRR most of the cars were built by the PRR and follow PRR designs -   GG Gla  GLaC etc.  AFAIK they never had any GLD (USRA) class hoppers.

Rich Orr

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Fri, Sep 16, 2016 1:01 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] USRA hoppers for Westmoreland - was Photo help for M&STL hoppers

Hi Lester and List Members,

Lester wrote "The small data sheet states the hoppers were acquired from Westmoreland Coal Company via Hyman- Michaels"

I have two questions:

(1) Does anyone know, did Westmoreland own any USRA hoppers (or copies)? If so, does anyone know of any references (online or offline) to images of these?

(2) Does anyone know of any published articles or other information regarding Westmoreland Coal and Coke and their railroad operations in general? I've seen more than one such article on Berwind, but have seen nothing that I can recall regarding Westmoreland...

Thanks

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 7:48 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Photo help for M&STL hoppers

The current project is the upgrade of six Athearn and Accurail open top hoppers, four MILWAUKEE, one SOO LINE and two MINNEAPOLIS & ST LOUIS, to what I call the "Kadee Standard." The upgrade which includes wire grabs, brake wheel, retainer valve and line, train line, etc., I was able to complete the MILWAUKEE and SOO LINE hoppers as I was able to find photos to complete; however, I have had no success finding a photo for the M&STL hoppers.  The M&STL hoppers are USRA 5th Ave Car Shops plastic kits painted, lettered and numbered correctly 65243 and 65287 for series 65001 to 65355, odd only, delivered in 1943. The small data sheet states the hoppers were acquired from Westmoreland Coal Company via Hyman- Michaels.  The best photo I could find was on RR Picture Archieves of hopper 63537  which is similar in design; however, I can not be sure if same hand brake, retainer valve location, and uncoupling lever type remained the same for the 65001 to 65355 series. So photo help needed.   BTW the photo I found can be viewed at 
Thank you for your time and effort to help in advance.   Lester Breuer