more on asphalt cars (Unloading Road Tar)

thecitrusbelt@...

Could someone explain the flow of material from the tank car to the tank truck?

I see a hose on the top of the tank car and another on the bottom. This picture is a little too fuzzy to make out what is being done by what appears to be a mobile pump.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Could someone explain the flow of material from the tank car to the tank truck?

I see a hose on the top of the tank car and another on the bottom. This picture is a little too fuzzy to make out what is being done by what appears to be a mobile pump.

   Good question, Bob, and I wondered the same thing. The tank car isn't insulated, meaning that either it has built-in steam coils or some other method must be used to liquidize the asphalt/tar. Could the line into the dome manway be a steam line, to an immersion coil? These were used elsewhere for such a purpose. I agree with Bob also that it is too bad we can't see more clearly what the mobile "pump" or whatever it is is doing, but it might have a small boiler or hot-water heater to feed a coil.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Peter Hall

Tony,

I think it’s possible that the hose “connected” to the top of the tank car may be an illusion.  Since there is a grain elevator behind the car, it’s possible the “hose” is actually a line to the rooftop of the elevator, and just appears to connect to the car due to the angle of the photographer and the single eye of the lens, which gives no stereoscopic vision.

Thanks
Pete

On Sep 16, 2016, at 2:36 PM, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Could someone explain the flow of material from the tank car to the tank truck?

I see a hose on the top of the tank car and another on the bottom. This picture is a little too fuzzy to make out what is being done by what appears to be a mobile pump.

   Good question, Bob, and I wondered the same thing. The tank car isn't insulated, meaning that either it has built-in steam coils or some other method must be used to liquidize the asphalt/tar. Could the line into the dome manway be a steam line, to an immersion coil? These were used elsewhere for such a purpose. I agree with Bob also that it is too bad we can't see more clearly what the mobile "pump" or whatever it is is doing, but it might have a small boiler or hot-water heater to feed a coil.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

thecitrusbelt@...

Tom Birkett of Bartlesvill, OK, provided some insight on how this commodity was unloaded from tank cars, such as pictured in the earlier post.

So if you are going to model the scene you now have a basis for the details.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

+++++

Bob

Except in the very hot portion of the summer, steam heat will be required. Many tank car products are unloaded with air which is more readily available than a pump that can handle hot asphalt.

Hook up a steam hose to the connection on the bottom of the car (sometimes the connections are on the ends of the cars), hook up a hose to the bottom outlet of the loaded car, hook up an air hose to the Vapor space at the top of the car (not much pressure required)

 Open the valves and if the stuff is hot enough to liquefy, it will unload easily.

I managed the Phillips Petroleum fleet for about 20 years and although we didn't move asphalt by rail, we moved a LOT of sulphur and it works the same, but they both smell bad!

Tony Thompson

Peter Hall wrote:

I think it’s possible that the hose “connected” to the top of the tank car may be an illusion.  Since there is a grain elevator behind the car, it’s possible the “hose” is actually a line to the rooftop of the elevator, and just appears to connect to the car due to the angle of the photographer and the single eye of the lens, which gives no stereoscopic vision.

I don't agree at all. The background is much lighter (hazy?) and the hose to the dome top is dark. I see a continuous line of hose from the tank car to a fixture on the top of the "pump/heater" equipment, and it is separate from the hose going to the truck. You can blow up the web image.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Douglas Harding

There are two photos of the UTLX car at Marietta MN being unloaded into a road oil truck. The date is June 1954. I don’t think the photo has anything to do with asphalt. In the mid-west it was a common practice to spray gravel (rock) roads with oil to control the dust during the summer. Note the truck has a propane tank and a spray boom, indicating the oil was heated to ease spraying. The second photo, taken from a higher angle clearly shows the hose from the top of the tank car dome to the top of the trailer. The trailer is equipped with a heater and a pump, to heat the oil so it can be pumped from the car to the truck. It is possible the car contained oil to be used in making an asphalt road, but I am pretty sure it was oil used to spray for dust control. This is a practice that was common up through the 60’s and later in rural areas of Iowa.

Doug Harding

<http://www.iowacentralrr.org> www.iowacentralrr.org

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com <http://www.signaturepress.com/>

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...

Publishers of books on railroad history

Scott H. Haycock

I agree with Tony.

A set of pipes go from the top of the tank car to the top of the heater/pump trailer. The product then goes into the pump, back out the top of the trailer, then to the tanker truck.

I'm curious what the canister-shaped thing, in the middle of the tank car pipe, was for?

An insulated hose (larger in diameter) appears to go from the heater on the trailer to the bottom of the tank car to heat the product, whatever it may be.

As to the heater, I see no steam vapor anywhere. I wonder if the heat source my be hot air. Note the cyclone looking device on the end of the trailer.

Scott Haycock