Railroad true stories?

ron christensen

I have found a Nov 1939

Ron

From: "grangerroads@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, October 7, 2016 12:40 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Railroad true stories?

Ron,

I'm interested in late 1930s Railroad magazines. If you wish, please contact me at:

grangerroads@...

(Thought I could send you a private email but the method here eludes me.)

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Paul Krueger

Brian, I suggest you track down a copy of "Organization and Traffic of the Illinois Central System"  if you are interested in learning more about the organizational structure of railroads in the steam era.  It was published by the railroad in 1938 and is more than 500 pages long, I recall.

Paul

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

ron christensen

I may have some that old
I will get back

Ron

I'm interested in late 1930s Railroad magazines. If you wish, please contact me at:

grangerroads@...

(Thought I could send you a private email but the method here eludes me.)

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

grangerroads@...

Ron,

I'm interested in late 1930s Railroad magazines. If you wish, please contact me at:

grangerroads@...

(Thought I could send you a private email but the method here eludes me.)

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

ron christensen

If you have an interest in the old Railroad magazine I have some I would part with
Ron Christensen

grangerroads@...

A big "Thank you" to all the suggestions. I've ordered three books and three Railroad magazines so far, will digest then order more. I expect that I'll get 'em all.

Again, much appreciated.

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

np328

Brian, you list accidents.
Your government has come to your aid with this website, the ICC accident reports.

Look under Databases and click on Investigations of Railroad Accidents 1911 - 1993, that will open a further page letting you select a year.

Click on a year and you can click on whichever railroad meets your interest.

The older reports, the years you listed as interested in, often have extensive "testimonials" of investigations, and while some might list this as "dry reading", it gives a good picture of what duties were, of what the rules were, who was to do what, (or didn't do) of how those steam freight railroad cars we now model, might have been mishandled.                                                     Jim Dick - St. Paul, MN

mopacfirst

I've come to notice that no one has mentioned the book I grew up with:  A Treasury of Railroad Folklore, by Botkin and Harlow, Bonanza Books, 1953.  Mine still has the dust jacket, and I've probably had this volume since about 1960.  Hasn't been off the shelf until just now since I built the bookshelves in the mid-90s, but I spent many hours with it when I was a kid.

Because this is an anthology, some of the stories cited by others may be in this one too.  The authors were both folklorists of long standing.

Ron Merrick

Rob M.

Ne’er a better story teller than a railroader.

There are a few good ones, including the ones in Tony Thompson’s PFE book.   Historical societies often have good ones too.

Eric Neubauer L&NE freight cars monograph includes an autobiography from Fred Manson, started with the Reading RR and ended up in the L&NE car shop and thenTrailer Train.  Decent bit of STMFC/freight car content in his autobiography.

Eric Neubauer N&B box cars  monograph includes an autobiography by Eddie Eberhard, track inspector.

The Keystone, PRRT&HS  Numerous stories by many employees.   My favorites are the Ernie Clausing Supervisor of track stories (steam and transition era).

PC Historical Society… many T&E stories, but beyond the scope of STMFC.

Rob Mondichak

Gary Ray

Smoke in the Canyon: My Steam Days in Dunsmuir by Dick Murdock tells of his experiences as a SP engineer in the last days of steam.

Gary Ray