Topics

White Swan billboard reefers

Bernhard Schroeter

This weekend I finished the firts of five billboard reefer with "White Swan" advertising.
Models were built after a sketch and some prototype information from a NWSL reprint of Seattle Car and Foundry Co. of 1913.
See this picture ...

http://us-modelsof1900.de/wp-content/gallery/whiteswan-reefer/whiteswan_076k.jpgor visit a complete gallery - Galerie – White swan reefers

Sorry, captions in German however I'm sure that the pictures give a lot of information.

Enjoy!

Bernhard - modelsof1900

Did you use the Clover House dry transfers?

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] White Swan billboard reefers

This weekend I finished the firts of five billboard reefer with "White Swan" advertising.
Models were built after a sketch and some prototype information from a NWSL reprint of Seattle Car and Foundry Co. of 1913.
See this picture ...

http://us-modelsof1900.de/wp-content/gallery/whiteswan-reefer/whiteswan_076k.jpg

http://us-modelsof1900.de/wp-content/gallery/whites...
View on us-modelsof1900.de
Preview by Yahoo
or visit a complete gallery - Galerie – White swan reefers

Galerie – White swan reefers Die Galerie zu den zwei Artikeln über … - “White Swans” – old time billboard reefers - Zurück zum Artikel >>> Teil 1 Teil 2
View on us-modelsof1900.de
Preview by Yahoo

Sorry, captions in German however I'm sure that the pictures give a lot of information.

Enjoy!

Bernhard - modelsof1900

Bernhard Schroeter

Sorry, a short addition.
I should write that painting and decaling was done by a very good friend.
This was not my work!

Thanks! Bernhard

vapeurchapelon

Hello Bernd,

congrats to this fantastic model! As you know I already had the opportunity to examine it in person at the FREMO-meeting, but now with all the final detailing like grabs and door hardware it looks even much better, of course!

>> I should write that painting and decaling was done by a very good friend. <<

And you should add that the decals themselves are completely customized in a joint-effort between you and the painter. ;-)

Many greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2016 um 21:47 Uhr
Von: "modelsof1900@... [STMFC]"
An: STMFC@...
Betreff: [STMFC] Re: White Swan billboard reefers

Sorry, a short addition.
I should write that painting and decaling was done by a very good friend.
This was not my work!

Thanks! Bernhard

Bernhard Schroeter

Brain, no.

The decals are own drawings made by my friend Jörg (Joerg) who painted an decaled this model.

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>

[...]

Yes. I saw you prior post about paint & decal before I sent my message. Beautiful work, as per usual!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

Louis Van Winkle

Why is the door so close to one end? I never saw a car like that before.

Lou Van Winkle

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM, modelsof1900@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

This weekend I finished the firts of five billboard reefer with "White Swan" advertising.
Models were built after a sketch and some prototype information from a NWSL reprint of Seattle Car and Foundry Co. of 1913.
See this picture ...

http://us-modelsof1900.de/wp-content/gallery/whiteswan-reefer/whiteswan_076k.jpg

or visit a complete gallery - Galerie – White swan reefers

Sorry, captions in German however I'm sure that the pictures give a lot of information.

Enjoy!

Bernhard - modelsof1900

Bernhard Schroeter

Lou, a good question and a sipmle answer.
There was the idea to reduce man power while loading and transporting with a hanging transport of beef halfes.
These specific reefers were equipped with a rail system under the roof that was constructed like an "S" also with some switches where the rail end were fixed at the doors. So the cars were positioned with their doors for loading and unloading at the loading ramp doors of the meet packing plants. There short moveable rails were inserted about the gap from meet packer's loding door to the reefer door and the hanging meet halves could be moved on the hooks equipped with small wheels directly from the meet packing plant into the reefers - with lesser man power than packing the meet on shoulder and back of many men.
I think that this was a really good solution, hwever the cars must be built also 2 foot higher than ordinary cars - and this is the second speciality of these reefers.

---In STMFC@..., <louisvwin@...> wrote :

Why is the door so close to one end? I never saw a car like that before.

Lou Van Winkle

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM, modelsof1900@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

This weekend I finished the firts of five billboard reefer with "White Swan" advertising.
Models were built after a sketch and some prototype information from a NWSL reprint of Seattle Car and Foundry Co. of 1913.
See this picture ...

http://us-modelsof1900.de/wp- content/gallery/whiteswan- reefer/whiteswan_076k.jpg

or visit a complete gallery - Galerie – White swan reefers

Sorry, captions in German however I'm sure that the pictures give a lot of information.

Enjoy!

Bernhard - modelsof1900

Bernhard Schroeter

Thanks Johannes
and thanks again for your friendly and honoring words abaout my models. Yes, I would like to say that I'm lucky about the result of our common project, Joerg and me.

And I would like to give you my word that I will build the last three PFE R-70 reefers for you with the same effort than my models.

Greetings back to you!

Bernd - modelsof1900

Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2016 um 21:47 Uhr
Von: "modelsof1900@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
An: STMFC@...

Sorry, a short addition.
I should write that painting and decaling was done by a very good friend.
This was not my work!

Thanks! Bernhard

Randy Hees

The door at one end of the car is a known Seattle Car & Foundry - Pacific Car & Foundry design, seen in catalogs. (the 1913 catalog is available in a reprint and on line)

The description notes that the car is set up with a trolley system for halves of beef or mutton complete with switches "to direct the halves to any track desired" with the meat left hanging while traveling, so most likely to aid loading and unloading by having one set of switches on the end of the car.

The catalog shows both the White Swan car and one for Frye and Company

Randy Hees

Bernhard Schroeter

Ready!
All my five White Swan reefers are ready and now they will receive a little bit aging and dust yet. This will be done by a friend who has realized already the painting and decaling.

http://us-modelsof1900.de/wp-content/gallery/whiteswan-reefer/whiteswan_88kk.jpg

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bernd,

Beautiful work!

Claus Schlund

All my five White Swan reefers are ready and now they will receive a little bit aging and dust yet. This will be done by a friend who has realized already the painting and decaling.

http://us-modelsof1900.de/wp-content/gallery/whiteswan-reefer/whiteswan_88kk.jpg

That’s a lot of HO scale shortening!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 1/27/2017 10:36 AM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI bpehni@... [STMFC] wrote:

That’s a lot of HO scale shortening!

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Selective compression?

Spen Kellogg

Bernhard Schroeter

Thanks to all for your friendly comments.

@ Spenn,
sorry, how is to understand "selective compression?"
Maybe that my poor English gives not a sense to me.

vapeurchapelon

Yes, definitely! Congratulations, Bernd, for completing this incredible project! As you know I have seen the cars in person, and I can only repeat that I don't know any other modeller achieving your standards in H0scale model building! No more words needed.

Many greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Freitag, 27. Januar 2017 um 18:24 Uhr
Von: "'Claus Schlund HGM' claus@... [STMFC]"