T&P flat cars

Tony Thompson

I have always thought that T&P flat cars were black, but recently saw a model version in BCR. Which one is correct? or if both are correct, when did they change? Any help appreciated.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony, According to the NEB&W Website, I found the following:

The Tichy 12-pocket flat car kit could be used to model T&P flats, series 5000-5299, 286 cars in '49, built in 1928. As built, they were a box car red, with black underframes and trucks. Later repaintings would have resulted in a solid color. The 5000 series flats were the ONLY flats on the T&P's roster in 1940 and 1950.

I too believe they were black at some time. Sorry if the info is somewhat vague.

Rich Christie

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:12 PM, "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I have always thought that T&P flat cars were black, but recently saw a model version in BCR. Which one is correct? or if both are correct, when did they change? Any help appreciated.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

depends on the time period

I have always thought that T&P flat cars were black, but recently saw a model version in BCR. Which one is correct? or if both are correct, when did they change? Any help appreciated.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Rich

That -particular- car was black in the 1950's. There's a clear shot
of T&P 5145 in 1953 in the SP Taylor Yard in Los Angeles in Volume 2
of Tony's SP freight car series and even though the photo is black &
white that car color strongly contrasts with all the red cars around
it.

I've never been able to find a "new" photo of the GSC flat cars (possibly
assembled in home shops) the T&P bought in the 1950's. In the 1960's they
were (or became) freight car red.

Tim O'Connor