T&P flat cars

Tony Thompson

I have always thought that T&P flat cars were black, but recently saw a model version in BCR. Which one is correct? or if both are correct, when did they change? Any help appreciated.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony, According to the NEB&W Website, I found the following:

The Tichy 12-pocket flat car kit could be used to model T&P flats, series 5000-5299, 286 cars in '49, built in 1928. As built, they were a box car red, with black underframes and trucks. Later repaintings would have resulted in a solid color. The 5000 series flats were the ONLY flats on the T&P's roster in 1940 and 1950.

I too believe they were black at some time. Sorry if the info is somewhat vague.

Rich Christie

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:12 PM, "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I have always thought that T&P flat cars were black, but recently saw a model version in BCR. Which one is correct? or if both are correct, when did they change? Any help appreciated.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

depends on the time period

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Rich

That -particular- car was black in the 1950's. There's a clear shot
of T&P 5145 in 1953 in the SP Taylor Yard in Los Angeles in Volume 2
of Tony's SP freight car series and even though the photo is black &
white that car color strongly contrasts with all the red cars around
it.

I've never been able to find a "new" photo of the GSC flat cars (possibly
assembled in home shops) the T&P bought in the 1950's. In the 1960's they
were (or became) freight car red.

Tim O'Connor

Tony, According to the NEB&W Website, I found the following:

The Tichy 12-pocket flat car kit could be used to model T&P flats, series 5000-5299, 286 cars in '49, built in 1928. As built, they were a box car red, with black underframes and trucks. Later repaintings would have resulted in a solid color. The 5000 series flats were the ONLY flats on the T&P's roster in 1940 and 1950.

I too believe they were black at some time. Sorry if the info is somewhat vague.

Rich Christie