Wood Pulp

Bob Weston

Hi Guys!

  I've been researching a paper mill that operated in Northeast Ohio from 1900's to the mid 80s. The mill originally used rags and wood for their pulp but in the 20's started using wood pulp imported from Scandinavia.  Any ideas how this pulp was shipped from the port to the mill? Was it dry and in bags or in a slurry and shipped via tank cars? TIA for any info.

Bob Weston

Eric Hansmann

Bob,

Would this be the specialty paper mill in Chagrin Falls? If so, it did not have direct rail service. A truck was used to transport material to and from the small W&LE terminal a few blocks away.

I have a few images and other details to send off line if this is the operation of your interest.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

On October 30, 2016 at 8:01 AM "oandle@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi Guys!

  I've been researching a paper mill that operated in Northeast Ohio from 1900's to the mid 80s. The mill originally used rags and wood for their pulp but in the 20's started using wood pulp imported from Scandinavia.  Any ideas how this pulp was shipped from the port to the mill? Was it dry and in bags or in a slurry and shipped via tank cars? TIA for any info.

Bob Weston

Bob Weston

The paper mill I'm interested in is located in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park at Jaite. It was served by B&O's CT&V subdivision.
Bob Weston

boomer44@...

Bob,
The wood pulp would be bales of paper pulp. Think of heavy duty blotter paper in a wire wrapped paper covered bale. The bale size was usually 2'x3' x2' or similar size... not quite a cube. The paper covering was the same paper pulp as was in the bale. The wire wrap was usually one wire each way so the bale wouldn't come apart. A bale would weight anywhere from 250 to 350 pounds. Bleached pulp would be white.

The paper mill you describe sounds like a specialty paper mill producing high quality paper. The pulp and rag with water would be beaten in a hydropulper until it became a slurry. This slurry would then be made into paper.

Gordon Spalty