Common Standard hopper car panel side rebuilds

midrly

I'm looking at modelling a GTW panel side rebuild hopper car.  CV and CN also had these.  Comparison of these cars against the car modelled by Tichy's HO kit reveals that the CN family rebuilds were of a car smaller than the USRA hopper car rebuild modelled by the Tichy kit. Grafting Tichy panel sides to a Bowser PRR GLa will not work--the Tichy side panels are too high.  Did other US roads rebuild GLa clone or Common Standard hopper cars using panel sides?

With thanks in advance

Steve Lucas

David

PRR did a one-off Gla rebuild (Glf) and Stan Rydarowicz made a kit for it at one time. That would be the closest commercial match to the CN/GTW/CV cars. Otherwise, you're on your own for modifying a Gla with 3D printed panel bulges.

David Thompson

midrly

David--

Thanks for your reply.  I'll have a look for one of these kits.  The CN, CV, and GTW cars differed between roads as to which panels were used on a car side, and in the case of CV cars, some car sides had flat panels and bulged panels.

As for 3D printing, I don't know much about it, but know someone who does.  I imagine that 3D printing would be the way to go to allow a panel design to be scaled up or down--there is a Common Standard car in O scale (Lionel?). But the Tichy car is too large for these, yet an excellent model for the larger USRA rebuilds.

Steve Lucas