Topics

MILW 50-ft rib side box cars from Fox Valley

Paul Krueger

Fox Valley Models announced they are doing MILW 50-foot rib side box cars next year, both the single and double door versions, in HO scale. The double door cars will also made in N scale.

Paul

Paul Krueger

Seattle, WA

Robert kirkham

That’s interesting.  Any idea whether the full length rib versions or the shorter ribs?

Rob Kirkham

Fox Valley Models announced they are doing MILW 50-foot rib side box cars next year, both the single and double door versions, in HO scale. The double door cars will also made in N scale.

Paul

Paul Krueger

Seattle, WA

spsalso

I dunno.  Somehow the phrase "Rib Side Models" keeps popping into my head.

It's a puzzle.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Tim O'Connor

Ed

I'm trying to think of a single FVM model that I like......
Nope, nothing comes to mind.

I'll never understand vendors. For years and years we wish for a rib side
car. Then we get them from Intermountain, Rib Side Models, and Exactrail.
Now from FVM too. Goofy!

And PRR X31 and X32 round roof cars? Other than the funky Bowser models?

(crickets chirping)

Tim O'Connor

I dunno. Somehow the phrase "Rib Side Models" keeps popping into my head.
It's a puzzle.
Edward Sutorik

gtws00

I was at Trainfest and saw their release notice posted at their display. The artwork shows a 50 ft Single Door series 50000 and a double door 50 ft series 14000. Both appear to be short rib. I will post a photo of the release in my folder

George Toman

Brian Termunde

Well Tim,
I've got their B&O wagontops, Milwaukee Rib Side 40 footers (both long and short rib versions as well as both single and double door), their 50 foot Rib Sides in Express paint (to ship out all of those Willapa Bay Oysters [or is that ersters? ) their Milwaukee Rib Side Cabeese, and I think an FMC 5347 - which I need to get rid of, my dealer misunderstood what I wanted and got me one of these - a VERY unlikely thing to see on a 1953 NP/Milwaukee Branch line!

So I have to say that I like FVM VERY much! In fact, much of my Milwaukee Road roster is made up of FVM products.

Of course, I'm in 'N'ormal scale, not that Horribly Oversized one.  ; )

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

1c. Re: MILW 50-ft rib side box cars from Fox Valley
Posted by: "Tim O'Connor" timboconnor@... cf5250
Date: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:11 pm ((PST))

Ed

I'm trying to think of a single FVM model that I like......
Nope, nothing comes to mind.

I'll never understand vendors. For years and years we wish for a rib side
car. Then we get them from Intermountain, Rib Side Models, and Exactrail.
Now from FVM too. Goofy!

And PRR X31 and X32 round roof cars? Other than the funky Bowser models?

(crickets chirping)

Tim O'Connor

Clark Propst

Was I mistaken thinking the DD car was going to be a 40 fter?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Clark Propst

The drawings displayed of the cars showed the 50’ single door car’s side ribs stopping at the ladders (right end), grabs (left end).
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Bill Welch

Nothing yet on their website or Facebook page.

Bill Welch

Scott H. Haycock

In a quick read of RPC 13, which has an article on these cars, the only cars that had the full length ribs were the series 13500-13999 50' double door auto cars, and the series 19000-21187 40' box cars. These were all built pre-WWII.

The rest were built after the war and had the vertical side pans at the ends and next to the doors.

Scott Haycock

I was at Trainfest and saw their release notice posted at their display. The artwork shows a 50 ft Single Door series 50000 and a double door 50 ft series 14000. Both appear to be short rib. I will ,post a photo of the release in my folder

George Toman

Tim O'Connor

Brian, sorry, I should have said HO scale. I have only vague knowledge of N scale products.

Some of them are certainly better than their HO scale counterparts!

As for the HO scale Wagontop, Exactrail's model is the best but they only did the early version
and now I guess they're out of money and will not be doing any new tooling.

As for the HO scale 40 foot MILW cars, again Exactrail's model is the best but of course it only
represents one of many variations. Intermountain really screwed up their model (asymmetric
sides) but strangely have not fixed it. (Same story with their PS 4750 so they seem committed
to their errors.) But the Ribside models fill in the gaps for multiple variations of 40 and 50 foot
cars.

Tim

================================

Well Tim,
I've got their B&O wagontops, Milwaukee Rib Side 40 footers (both long and short rib versions as well as both single and double door), their 50 foot Rib Sides in Express paint (to ship out all of those Willapa Bay Oysters [or is that ersters? ) their Milwaukee Rib Side Cabeese, and I think an FMC 5347 - which I need to get rid of, my dealer misunderstood what I wanted and got me one of these - a VERY unlikely thing to see on a 1953 NP/Milwaukee Branch line!

So I have to say that I like FVM VERY much! In fact, much of my Milwaukee Road roster is made up of FVM products.

Of course, I'm in 'N'ormal scale, not that Horribly Oversized one.  ; )

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Bill Welch

IF you can find a "Ribside" kit any longer.

Bill Welch

brianleppert@att.net

Des Plaines Hobbies still has one Ribside 40' DD undec kit.  When you go to their website, find the search box in the upper RIGHT corner and type in rib.  I believe all the other Ribside cars are sold out.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

StephenK

Where did you hear that Exactrail is out of money?   They haven't come out with any new cars lately, but is that the reason?

Steve Kay

Paul Krueger

Tim O'Connor

That's too bad. I think the last time I saw him at Naperville he had
a pile of kits AND decals for sale and they weren't exactly flying off
his table. I stocked up. Now I have far more ribside cars than I can
really use... I tried to get at least one of each physically different
car, and that turned out to be quite a few kits! They were priced very
reasonably.

Tim O'

Des Plaines Hobbies still has one Ribside 40' DD undec kit.  When you go to their website, find the search box in the upper RIGHT corner and type in rib.  I believe all the other Ribside cars are sold out.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Michael Aufderheide

Regarding Des Plaines Hobbies stock of Rib Side Cars, I would call them to see if they have what you need in stock.  The last time I looked (5 weeks ago) they had about 25 kits on the shelf.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

gtws00

Tim,
 Can give more details as what is wrong with the Intermountain Ribside Cars?
Thanks
George Toman

Tim O'Connor

George

Ed Hawkins covered the problems when the cars came out. YMMV.

 Tim,
 Can give more details as what is wrong with the Intermountain Ribside Cars?
 Thanks
 George Toman

Brian Termunde

Tim,
I knew you, as are most of the people on this great group are in that 'other' scale, so I was just having a bit of fun with you.

It's so nice to have such fantastic companies producing such a wonderful variety of equipment. Sometimes we N Scalers get a bit spoiled! And it's nice to see you HOer's jealous of US once in awhile instead of it being the other way around!

In addition to having a bit of fun with you, it also was a way to acknowledge that FVM does service us N Scale people with a very nice selection of products, and to say thank you to them!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

6b. Re: MILW 50-ft rib side box cars from Fox Valley
Posted by: "Tim O'Connor" timboconnor@... cf5250
Date: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:29 am ((PST))