Duryea underframe


Robert J Miller CFA
 

Can anyone point me to a diagram or other information on the Duryea underframe? I have an SFRD reefer kit I am considering putting such an underframe on.

 
Robert J. Miller CFA
Saginaw, MI

Tell the truth, work hard, and come to dinner on time.
Gerald R. Ford


Dave Parker
 

This might be a good place to start:



I assume there are also drawings in some of the CBCs, but I have not checked.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA


rwitt_2000
 

Speedwitch Media makes a Duryea kit for the Red Caboose ARA box car to model a B&O class M-26D/E that maybe could be adapted to your model. 

P107 – Baltimore & Ohio M-26D/E ARA Box Car parts | Speedwitch Media

 



This kit models the Duryea underframe with solid cross bearers and body bolsters when compare to the patent drawing. Some early Duryea underframes did used such "open" components. I recall the Santa Fe used that design on box cars, but I am not sure about the reefers.

One time Sunshine Models also offered a kit for the Duryea underframe, but simpler that the one from Speedwitch. WrighTRAK also did an excellent reproduction of the  Duryea underframe for their model of the B&O M-53 wagon-top box car.

WrightTRAK.com - B&O M53/M53A WAGONTOP BOXCAR

 

If you can find any of these kits it would help you understand the construction and see how the center sills pass through the body bolsters and the cross bearers.

I model the B&O and they applied Duryea underframes to thousands of freight cars including hopper cars and mill gondolas.

Bob Witt


rwitt_2000
 


loveaglptp@...
 

RP CYC 2, on page 70 has photos from the 1940 Car Builders' Cyclopedia.

Andy Love


Allan Smith
 

Lloyd Keyser had a very good photo of a Duryea underframe on a URTX Reefer car that would match the Santa Fe Reefer Railmodel Journal Jan 2009 Page 59. The speedwitch media duryea underframe is an early version and doesn't match the santa fe reefers..

Al Smith 
Sonora Ca


On Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:29 PM, "loveaglptp@... [STMFC]" wrote:


 
RP CYC 2, on page 70 has photos from the 1940 Car Builders' Cyclopedia.

Andy Love



Mark Stamm
 

Al,

Would you please confirm the year. The last issues of Railmodel Journal I have where published in 2008

Mark P Stamm
Mark at Euphoriatt dot Com

Sent from my mobile device

On Nov 21, 2016, at 12:45 AM, Allan Smith smithal9@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 

Lloyd Keyser had a very good photo of a Duryea underframe on a URTX Reefer car that would match the Santa Fe Reefer Railmodel Journal Jan 2009 Page 59. The speedwitch media duryea underframe is an early version and doesn't match the santa fe reefers..

Al Smith 
Sonora Ca


On Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:29 PM, "loveaglptp@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:


 
RP CYC 2, on page 70 has photos from the 1940 Car Builders' Cyclopedia.

Andy Love



Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>
 

Mark,

Maybe not the issue you are looking for, but Robert Schleicher had photos of a URTX reefer with a Duryea underframe in the January 2002 RMJ, page 59. The underframe photo is very clear, especially as it was taken before painting and weathering. This is a conversion on a Walthers car. I used this as a guide to building a D&RGW 12-panel boxcar, so far my only attempt at a Duryea underframe.

Yours Aye,


Garth Groff


On 11/21/16 10:59 AM, Mark P Stamm mark@... [STMFC] wrote:
 
Al,

Would you please confirm the year. The last issues of Railmodel Journal I have where published in 2008

Mark P Stamm
Mark at Euphoriatt dot Com

Sent from my mobile device

On Nov 21, 2016, at 12:45 AM, Allan Smith smithal9@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 
Lloyd Keyser had a very good photo of a Duryea underframe on a URTX Reefer car that would match the Santa Fe Reefer Railmodel Journal Jan 2009 Page 59. The speedwitch media duryea underframe is an early version and doesn't match the santa fe reefers..

Al Smith 
Sonora Ca


On Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:29 PM, "loveaglptp@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:


 
RP CYC 2, on page 70 has photos from the 1940 Car Builders' Cyclopedia.

Andy Love




Keith Jordan
 

Bob and Others,

Drawings of the Rr-21 and its Duryea underframe are in the Santa Fe Ice Bunker Refrigerator Cars book, published by the Santa Fe Historical and Modeling Society.

Keith Jordan


Robert J Miller CFA
 

Thanks, Keith! 
I have that book and will check that out this evening.


On Nov 21, 2016, at 10:00 PM, ckjordan@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 

Bob and Others,


Drawings of the Rr-21 and its Duryea underframe are in the Santa Fe Ice Bunker Refrigerator Cars book, published by the Santa Fe Historical and Modeling Society.

Keith Jordan