From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:23 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] REA Green

I'm building a Sylvan V-031 1948-53 Railway Express Agency delivery truck. Sylvan recommends Tamiya Deep Green XF-26 for the paint. I stopped at my LHS this evening and picked up a bottle, but noticed that it is an acrudlic (sic)!!!

Can anyone suggest a solvent-based color (lacquer or enamel) for REA green in the early to mid 1950's time frame? I picked up a can of Tamiya TS-9 British Green, which looks close to REA green to me. I am open for suggestions PLEASE!!! I also have a can of Rust-Oleum Forest Green that I am tempted to try. So any thing other than acrylics would be OK (Model Master, ScaleCoat II, etc.).

-- John

Tim O'Connor

? What's the problem ? Tamiya will shoot very nicely in your airbrush and
cleans up easily. And it dries glossy. Are you allergic to acrylic ? Not all
acrylics are alike, after all.

Paint & coatings terminology is a minefield of misinformation. I'd just try
it on some test item (I use old discarded blue box car bodies) and see how it
looks. It won't contaminate your workshop either.

Tim O'Connor

I'm building a Sylvan V-031 1948-53 Railway Express Agency delivery truck.  Sylvan recommends Tamiya Deep Green XF-26 for the paint.  I stopped at my LHS this evening and picked up a bottle, but noticed that it is an acrudlic (sic)!!!

Can anyone suggest a solvent-based color (lacquer or enamel) for REA green in the early to mid 1950's time frame?  I picked up a can of Tamiya TS-9 British Green, which looks close to REA green to me.  I am open for suggestions PLEASE!!!  I also have a can of Rust-Oleum Forest Green that I am tempted to try.  So any thing other than acrylics would be OK (Model Master, ScaleCoat II, etc.).

-- John

John Sykes III

Just that I have been shooting Floquil, ScaleCoat I and ScaleCoat II for about 40 years now.  I have tried numerous acrylics with limited success.

I can clean up Floquil or either ScaleCoats with a few ml of lacquer thinner and a pipe cleaner and/or Q-tip.  Last time I used an acrylic, I had to completely strip down my airbrush and used about a pint of isopropyl alcohol to un-gunk it.

Also, any fingerprints or such (mold release) on the model and acrylics won't stick.  Solvent based paints will handle minor problems like that.  ScaleCoat I or II give you a finish that works perfect for decals and, if allowed to dry properly, will handle as much decal set as you can possible need to get decals over bumps and into grooves.

-- John

"markstation01@yahoo.com <markstation01@...>

John Sykes III

I pulled out my ScaleCoat II color guide and the Hunter Green #086 looks about right  (although the SC color guide is sort of lame - I usually make my own color patches).  Just don't have any on hand right now, but I need to put in a paint order soon anyway, so I will order some.

When Bob Weaver "manufactured" these paints I think he used Duco for ScaleCoat I and I know he used Dulux for ScaleCoat II.  I saw the 5 gallon cans with the DuPont logo on them.  He had a ledger book that had all the DuPont paint  codes from the actual railroads.  That was in 1980, when I was at Three Mile Island, 36 years ago.  Since Dupont no longer manufactures Duco or Dulux, I don't know what they are using for ScaleCoat paints.

-- John

Bob Chapman

John Sykes asks:
Can anyone suggest a solvent-based color (lacquer or enamel) for REA green in the early to mid 1950's time frame? I picked up a can of Tamiya TS-9 British Green, which looks close to REA green to me. I am open for suggestions PLEASE!!! I also have a can of Rust-Oleum Forest Green that I am tempted to try. So any thing other than acrylics would be OK (Model Master, ScaleCoat II, etc.).

John --

If you still have some Floquil, you can mix a good REA Green with about 8 parts Dark Green and one part Engine Black.

Bob Chapman

John Sykes III

I'll give it a try!

-- John

Greg Martin

John,

Never surrender... Look in the Mr Hobby/Mr. Color paint selection.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 11/23/2016 4:10:08 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

I'll give it a try!