Topics

NYCS Lot 742-B

Benjamin Hom

Richard Townshend asked:
"I have a photo of the part of the side of a 50' New York Central System car that I believe is an auto car with what I further believe is a lot number of 742-B (that is stenciled above the NYCS logo. It shows a built date of 11-45. Can anyone give me more information on this car, such as number series, car type, etc.

The car is being switched in Denver on Oct. 16, 1949. The photo is from the Denver Public Library collection, and was taken by George Trout."

This particular car is from NYC 177300-177799, built by ACF.  A second series of cars (NYC 80500-80999) was built in 1946.

Ben Hom

Donald B. Valentine

  OK Ben, I'll bite. The car you have kindly provided a photo of, MYC #80868 looks to be a 50 ft. SINGLE door car rather than a true auto car., or am I mistaken? Does it have an end door on the "A" end? Probably not because if I read the lettering correctly it states that this is an "Auto Body Car". I presume this would be used for delivering automobile bodies only to assembly plants around the nation and not to ship completed automobiles and expect that would be the case for both lots of these cars. I'd hate to try to load new cars
through those nominally 8 ft. doors!

Cordially, Don Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <b.hom@...> wrote :

Richard Townshend asked:
"I have a photo of the part of the side of a 50' New York Central System car that I believe is an auto car with what I further believe is a lot number of 742-B (that is stenciled above the NYCS logo. It shows a built date of 11-45. Can anyone give me more information on this car, such as number series, car type, etc.

The car is being switched in Denver on Oct. 16, 1949. The photo is from the Denver Public Library collection, and was taken by George Trout."

This particular car is from NYC 177300-177799, built by ACF.  A second series of cars (NYC 80500-80999) was built in 1946.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Don Valentine wrote:
"OK Ben, I'll bite. The car you have kindly provided a photo of, NYC #80868 looks to be a 50 ft. SINGLE door car rather than a true auto car, or am I mistaken?"

Correct.

"Does it have an end door on the 'A' end?"

No.

"Probably not because if I read the lettering correctly it states that this is an "Auto Body Car". I presume this would be used for delivering automobile bodies only to assembly plants around the nation and not to ship completed automobiles and expect that would be the case for both lots of these cars."

Correct.

"I'd hate to try to load new cars through those nominally 8 ft. doors!"

Not what these cars were for.  Keep in mind automobile boxcars also can mean automobile PARTS.  If you click on the link on the 742-B entry titled "SOME CARS ASSIGNED TO VARIOUS SPECIAL SERVICES AND RENUMBERED INTO VARIOUS SMALL GROUPS WITHIN NYC 76128-76210, NYC 80000-80499 AND NYC 83380-85318 ", you'll see some the assignments for Lot 742-B and other automobile pars cars.  Here's the direct link:

Ben Hom

Richard Townsend

I may have contributed to some confusion by calling it an auto car. I was guessing based on its length, but clearly I was wrong.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Richard Townshend asked:
"I have a photo of the part of the side of a 50' New York Central System car that I believe is an auto car with what I further believe is a lot number of 742-B (that is stenciled above the NYCS logo. It shows a built date of 11-45. Can anyone give me more information on this car, such as number series, car type, etc.

The car is being switched in Denver on Oct. 16, 1949. The photo is from the Denver Public Library collection, and was taken by George Trout."

This particular car is from NYC 177300-177799, built by ACF.  A second series of cars (NYC 80500-8099 9) was built in 1946.

Ben Hom

Tony Thompson

     The term "automobile car" was defined by AAR as a double-door box car. Period. Had nothing to do with whether or not it ever carried automobiles.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Roger Hinman <rhinman11@...>

This is a case where everyone is correct.  The NYC had cars for shipping fully completed automobiles and cars for shipping parts of automobiles. The series stenciled 80500-80999 were designated as auto parts cars, the 177xxx series were general service cars. The topic can be confusing at times. The first fifty foot cars built by DSI before the war had Evans auto racks and no end doors. A companion fifty foot car series had end doors but only shipped auto parts.  Boxcars for auto parts shipping eventually outnumbered those for completed automobile shipping.

Roger Hinman