Any thoughts on what is loaded onto the flat car in the image below

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi list members,

Any thoughts on what is loaded onto the flat car in the image below?

http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/ladysmith-granby-wharf

A larger image is available at the link below...

http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/uploads/r/null/e/5/e5dddca50dcf056b587aa45e957e9f575f6e682f141a86f630d251486bb32036/e-02598_141.jpg

Claus Schlund

Bruce Smith

Cause,

Half a flywheel?

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Dec 1, 2016, at 2:21 PM, 'Claus Schlund HGM' claus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi list members,

Any thoughts on what is loaded onto the flat car in the image below?

http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/ladysmith-granby-wharf

A larger image is available at the link below...

http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/uploads/r/null/e/5/e5dddca50dcf056b587aa45e957e9f575f6e682f141a86f630d251486bb32036/e-02598_141.jpg

Claus Schlund

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Claus Schlund HGM"

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   STMFC-digest@...
   STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Half of a flywheel was my original thought, Bruce, but looking at it again I can see teeth on the outer ring, which would make this half of a large gear (presumably the other half is on the other side of the car...)

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 12:26 PM, "'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC]" wrote:

[...]

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <claus@...> wrote :

Hi list members,

Any thoughts on what is loaded onto the flat car in the image below?

http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/ladysmith-granby-wharf

A larger image is available at the link below...

http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/uploads/r/null/e/5/e5dddca50dcf056b587aa45e957e9f575f6e682f141a86f630d251486bb32036/e-02598_141.jpg

Claus Schlund
======

It looks like a large flywheel for a stationary steam engine, cast in two parts for ease of shipping. See link for example:

History of a C.H. Brown Stationary Steam Engine - Steam Engines - Steam Traction

Dennis Storzek

Would be nice to know if an identical piece is over the rear truck….

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 2:25 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Any thoughts on what is loaded onto the flat car in the image below

Cause,

Half a flywheel?

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Dec 1, 2016, at 2:21 PM, 'Claus Schlund HGM' claus@hellgatemodels.com [STMFC] <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi list members,

Any thoughts on what is loaded onto the flat car in the image below?

http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/ladysmith-granby-wharf

A larger image is available at the link below...

http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/uploads/r/null/e/5/e5dddca50dcf056b587aa45e957e9f575f6e682f141a86f630d251486bb32036/e-02598_141.jpg

Claus Schlund

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Claus Schlund HGM" <claus@hellgatemodels.com>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

rwitt_2000

Dennis,

I believe you identified the load correctly and with references.

If these are "half" flywheels, I believe we are seeing both halves shipped together. I speculate because I see two sets of wishbone shaped spokes next to each other. So my guess is that the steam engine is on the other half of the flat car or another set of half flywheels.

A very interesting load for the early 20th century modeling.

Bob Witt

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <billinsf@...> wrote :

Half of a flywheel was my original thought, Bruce, but looking at it again I can see teeth on the outer ring, which would make this half of a large gear (presumably the other half is on the other side of the car...)

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA
========

Teeth, or barring slots? Big Corliss engines had the problem that being single cylinder, they could stop on dead center, so the engineer was provided with a BIG (like eight feet long) prybar to move the engine off dead center.

Dennis Storzek

Charles Peck

Barring slots is a good possibility but the really large engines often had small auxiliary engines to get them rolling.  Another totally different possibility is gears for lock gates on a river or gears for a bridge, both of which could use just a partial arc.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:57 PM, destorzek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Half of a flywheel was my original thought, Bruce, but looking at it again I can see teeth on the outer ring, which would make this half of a large gear (presumably the other half is on the other side of the car...)

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA
========

Teeth, or barring slots? Big Corliss engines had the problem that being single cylinder, they could stop on dead center, so the engineer was provided with a BIG (like eight feet long) prybar to move the engine off dead center.

Dennis Storzek

riverman_vt@...

   Maybe and maybe not. Can't tell from the photo but the half wheel could be geared. It's also
possible that it is half of a wooden pattern made elsewhere to be cast more locally. Lot's of
possibilities.

Cordially, Don Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <smithbf@...> wrote :

[...]

Could a geared half wheel also be used in a drawbridge application, for example?

Tim O'Connor

Half of a flywheel was my original thought, Bruce, but looking at it again I can see teeth on the outer ring, which would make this half of a large gear (presumably the other half is on the other side of the car...)

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA
========

Teeth, or barring slots? Big Corliss engines had the problem that being single cylinder, they could stop on dead center, so the engineer was provided with a BIG (like eight feet long) prybar to move the engine off dead center.

Dennis Storzek

Gary Ray

While looking at the image, I noticed what seemed like a great deal if interested in farm machinery:  64 years of Farm Collector, Gas Engine Magazine, and The Iron-Men Album (Steam Traction) Total cost including shipping was $16.94.  Notice identical items – I got the $9 one, of course.

Go to: https://www.farmcollector.com/store/product-category/archives-and-special-issues/archives

Gary Ray

It looks like a large flywheel for a stationary steam engine, cast in two parts for ease of shipping. See link for example:

History of a C.H. Brown Stationary Steam Engine - Steam Engines - Steam Traction

image

History of a C.H. Brown Stationary Steam Engine - ...

Inventor and builder C.H. Brown developed the automatic cutoff steam engine, this 150 HP model powered a New Hampshire sawmill for almost 75 years.

Preview by Yahoo

Dennis Storzek

Avast logo