Southern Car and Foundry Tank Car Prototypes

culturalinfidel9@...

Tangent's latest release has motivated me to take a look at my tank car roster.  In paging through the archives, I wasn't able to pin down prototypes for many of SC&F's eight current offerings.  They are:

Kit #2000 Spencer Kellog 6 course radial 8000 gal
Kit #2001 GATX 1638 2 compartment
Kit #2002 UTLX 5 course radial 6050 gal
Kit #2002 NATX 6000 gal
Kit #2003 A.E. Staley, NATX, VENX 5 course radial 8000 gal
Kit #2005 GATX 6 course radial 8000 gal
Kit #2006 SHPX 55 3 compartment
Kit #2007 NATX converted 3 compartment 8000 gal

I believe that Ted Culotta covered the Spencer Kellog car (Kit #2000) in Essential Freight Cars, and Kits #2001 and #2006 seem to be one-offs.  Of the remaining kits (#2002, 2003, 2005, and 2007), do these models represent prototypes that would have comprised large portions of the UTLX, GATX, or NATX lease fleets during the 20's-40's period?

Thanks for any insight.

Dan Miller

Steve and Barb Hile

Kit 2003 could be used for UTLX.  They purchased 200 cars from Standard (Tank) Car company in 1917 numbered 7850-8049.  At some point in the future, probably by 1930, or so, they would be renumbered along with many other non UTLX design cars, designated as Class Z, into the series 76750-77154.

They also purchased 10000 gallon cars from STC with three longitudinal courses (which SC&F doesn't offer) but could be kitbashed, perhaps.

Kit 2002 is more problematic.  UTLX purchased very few smaller Class Z cars.  They were numbered into the upper end of the 70 thousand series.  UTLX 78520 was a 6100 gallon car and would be a decent choice number.

Kit 2005 looks like it would have been a part of the Pure Oil (POX) fleet, but which number and quantities, I don't know.  UTLX purchased the Pure fleet in the 30's and absorbed them.  I have seen a photo of one of these tanks mounted to a UTLX X-3 underframe.

Bottom line is SC&F cars don't comprise a large portion of UTLX's cars in the steam era.  They did have some multi-compartment cars that were based on STC Class Z purchases.  UTLX 4250-4269 appear (based on capacity and one photo) seem to be quite similar to SC&F kit 2007.

Hope this helps.

Steve Hile

[...]

Steve,

Thanks very much for your informative reply.  It sounds like the SC&F cars aren't good choices for the UTLX fleet.

Any idea whether the cars represented by kits 2002 and 2005 would be more plentiful in the NATX and GATX fleets, respectively?

Dan Miller

David

North American's tank cars were mostly Pressed Steel cars built in the late 1920s. GATX did have some STC tanks from the various smaller fleets they bought up over the years, primarily the ~3000 STCX cars (STC's leasing arm), but that was a rather small part of the ~40,000 cars GATX had in 1950.

Standard (as with most tank builders) generally built a good number of small orders (10, 50,150 cars) but rarely over 200 cars for any one order. Gulf did take a few hundred STC cars around 1920, as did RPX (Shell) and SHPX.

David Thompson

Dave Parker

David:

Gulf did take a few hundred STC cars around 1920, as did RPX (Shell) and SHPX.

Do you know which car numbers Gulf used on cars purchased from Standard Tank Car?  I have quite a few photos of Standard Steel cars in Gulf livery, but have never seen a Gulf STC car.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

David

Don't have road numbers, but Railway Age order summaries show 50 8050g tanks ordered in 1918, plus 70 10,000g and 150 8000g tanks in 1919.

David Thompson