NS 9347 hopper

Tim O'Connor

Since this car was originally built in 1944, could it have been a War Emergency
that has been extensively rebuilt with new sides? The hopper bays and slope sheets
and other details seem consistent with the WE design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401233099420

Tim O'

David

Maybe. Could just as easily have started as a regular offset-side car. NS 9200-9399 were secondhand leased cars (probably from USRE, and probably rebuilt by them).

David Thompson

Scott H. Haycock

According to a 1970 NSRy roster, these cars were built in 1944. I haven't found out by who, or what years the Norfolk Southern leased them.

Hopefully, the build date may provide some clue as to the builder.

They are not listed on the NSRy roster in the Jan. 1959 ORER, so may not have been acquired until after the cut-off date of this list.

Scott Haycock

Maybe. Could just as easily have started as a regular offset-side car. NS 9200-9399 were secondhand leased cars (probably from USRE, and probably rebuilt by them).

David Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Gee, and here I thought the built date of 3-44 and the shop date of 6-59
would have been sufficient to make this all obvious. I was not aware of any
standard offset side cars built during the War Emergency, but if there were
then this could also be a rebuild of one of those.

Tim O'Connor

According to a 1970 NSRy roster, these cars were built in 1944. I haven't found out by who, or what years the Norfolk Southern leased them.

Hopefully, the build date may provide some clue as to the builder.

They are not listed on the NSRy roster in the Jan. 1959 ORER, so may not have been acquired until after the cut-off date of this list.

Scott Haycock

Maybe. Could just as easily have started as a regular offset-side car. NS 9200-9399 were secondhand leased cars (probably from USRE, and probably rebuilt by them).

David Thompson

David

The War Emergency requirements were relaxed in 1944, but thumbing through RPC #29 suggests March would be a bit early for the resumption of all-steel production.

Looking through RPC #29 and the 1/59 ORER doesn't reveal any stray WE hoppers.

David Thompson