Microscale Chalk Marks

Bill Welch

Microscale decals has added a sheet of Chalk Marks in three scale to their line:

Microscale Decals: Boxcar Chalk Makrings

Bill Welch

riverman_vt@...

---In STMFC@..., <fgexbill@...> wrote :

Microscale decals has added a sheet of Chalk Marks in three scale to their line:

Microscale Decals: Boxcar Chalk Makrings

Bill Welch  

The question I wold raise is can you see the darn things well enough to know what you want to

use from the decal sheet? We have had others offered lately that are damned near impossible to 

see owing to a lack of contrast with the backing paper. White decals on white backing paper is a 

fool's errand when a light blue backing could have been used. Thus a fine white pen may still be 

the best choice as well as the most original one.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Douglas Harding

Don if you click on the link Bill provided you would see that Microscale has printed with a blue backing paper. Very easy to see the decals on their website.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Michael Gross

While I am delighted to see Microscale has added chalk marks, my first impression is that too many of them lean toward chalk graffiti drawings, many of which are too large for anything but a box car and, IMHO, a little Bozo Texino goes a long way.  My favorite chalk marks are still the Clover House dry transfers, followed by the Sunshine and Speedwitch offerings.  I commonly use decals or dry transfers for fresh markings and the always useful Prismacolor pencil for older, faded chalk.

Michael Gross
Facebook.com/ActorMichaelGross

Todd Horton

There's  a major manufacturer that's going to release a car with factory applied chalk markings very soon. 

Todd Horton

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, December 2, 2016 11:48 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Microscale Chalk Marks

Bill Welch

thecitrusbelt@...

I agree with Michael about using Prismacolor pencils. They give good results.

Here are some model examples (not mine):

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California/conversations/messages/10241

One of Michael's cars is shown.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

thecitrusbelt@...

R. L. Kennedy wrote a good article on chalk markings. Here is the link to his article, "Chalk It Up":

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR/general/chalk_it_up.htm

Tony Thompson had two blog post on this subject as well:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2011/11/chalk-marks-and-route-cards.html

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/search?q=chalk

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

I agree these are 'pictorial' graffiti, which was relatively rare. Also, bright white
is ok for a brand new chalk mark, but I prefer the light gray color used by Sunshine.

A good thing about Microscale is they usually do "spot" applications of overcoat so
you don't have to trim the pieces closely, and that speeds up the work.

I was interested in the Collosus of Roads but there are two identical examples on the
sheet. This guy was famous for signing each one with some clever quote or remark. There
are videos on Youtube covering the history of Bozo Texino, an interview with the guy who
did Collosus of Roads, and so on. The original Bozo Texino was an MP employee in San
Antonio who was actually profiled by the MP employee magazine. He was actively doing it
from the 1910's through the 1940's.

Tim O'Connor

While I am delighted to see Microscale has added chalk marks, my first impression is that too many of them lean toward chalk graffiti drawings, many of which are too large for anything but a box car and, IMHO, a little Bozo Texino goes a long way.  My favorite chalk marks are still the Clover House dry transfers, followed by the Sunshine and Speedwitch offerings.  I commonly use decals or dry transfers for fresh markings and the always useful Prismacolor pencil for older, faded chalk.

Michael Gross
Facebook.com/ActorMichaelGross

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

These ongoing graffito are interesting. While it wasn't in our period, I remember seeing a couple of cars which were inscribed by someone calling himself "Mahatma Indeedi", including "Mahatma Indeedi wishes you Indeed". Has anyone else ever seen this, and do you know any of the story behind it?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 12/3/16 4:42 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:

I agree these are 'pictorial' graffiti, which was relatively rare. Also, bright white
is ok for a brand new chalk mark, but I prefer the light gray color used by Sunshine.

A good thing about Microscale is they usually do "spot" applications of overcoat so
you don't have to trim the pieces closely, and that speeds up the work.

I was interested in the Collosus of Roads but there are two identical examples on the
sheet. This guy was famous for signing each one with some clever quote or remark. There
are videos on Youtube covering the history of Bozo Texino, an interview with the guy who
did Collosus of Roads, and so on. The original Bozo Texino was an MP employee in San
Antonio who was actually profiled by the MP employee magazine. He was actively doing it
from the 1910's through the 1940's.

Tim O'Connor

Clark Propst

While I am delighted to see Microscale has added chalk marks, my first impression is that too many of them lean toward chalk graffiti drawings, many of which are too large for anything but a box car and, IMHO, a little Bozo Texino goes a long way. My favorite chalk marks are still the Clover House dry transfers, followed by the Sunshine and Speedwitch offerings. I commonly use decals or dry transfers for fresh markings and the always useful Prismacolor pencil for older, faded chalk.

Michael Gross

I agree, they mostly look like a novelty.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Clark Propst

There's  a major manufacturer that's going to release a car with factory applied chalk markings very soon.  Todd Horton

It’s been done already by the NKPHS Branchline kit.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Tim O'Connor

Kinda defeats the whole idea of "graffiti" doesn't it? To each their own, I guess.

Tim O'Connor

There's  a major manufacturer that's going to release a car with factory applied chalk markings very soon.  Todd Horton

It's been done already by the NKPHS Branchline kit.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

riverman_vt@...

---In STMFC@..., <sarahsan@...> wrote :

Friends,

These ongoing graffito are interesting. While it wasn't in our period, I remember seeing a couple of cars which were inscribed by someone calling himself "Mahatma Indeedi", including "Mahatma Indeedi wishes you Indeed". Has anyone else ever seen this, and do you know any of the story behind it?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Hi Garth,

I like the one that Armand Premo and I spotted in white on a black tank car in a southbound D&H

freight at Rouses Point, NY back in the very early 1970's. It was the usual peace symbol within the 

circle below which was inscribed "Footprint of the American Chicken"! How long it had been on the 

car I don't know but it looked to have been there awhile. I suspect it is the best one either of us have

ever seen, before or since, and I still chuckle every time I think of it. YMMV

My best, Don Valentine

Clark Propst

I didn’t look that closely at the name Micro Scale has given the set. If it’s “Chalk marks” we assume that the scribblings would be that of trainmen. If Marked “Graffiti” then one assumes scribblings from outsiders. I can see a half dozen of my 100 car roster with one of two of the Micro Scale “Drawings”, But every car needs several “Railroad codes”  ;  ))
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Kinda defeats the whole idea of "graffiti"; doesn't it? To each their own, I guess.

Tim O'Connor

>There's a major manufacturer that's going to release a car with factory applied chalk markings very soon. Todd Horton
>
>
>It's been done already by the NKPHS Branchline kit.
>Clark Propst
>Mason City Iowa