Topics

NP reefer " 3 door"

frograbbit602

I have on the workbench a  recently acquired Northern Pacific "3 door " Resin Parts refrigerator kit  by Stan Rydarowicz, series 91500 to 91999. The reefers were built in the NP Brainerd Shops in 1954. I have found good photos, "A" end only, one color ( Bob's Photos ) and one black and white, NP 91835, a Wade Stevenson photo on the NP Historical Assoc. website. I also found the equipment drawing for this series of reefers on the NPRHA site. Even with this data I still need help. The kit has a Morton running board and brake platform  which I can not verify are correct. And, as I have only been able to find photos of "A" end I do not know the brake wheel. Do you have any data on these reefers to help with my unknowns?  In advance I Thank You for your time and effort to respond to my request for help.

Happy Holidays, Lester Breuer

ROGER HINMAN

The cover of the October 31, 1955 Railway Age has a nice 3/4 view of NP91611 showing the brake end. I don’t have the issue but have a mediocre xerox; the brake wheel appears to be Ajax, the running board is too heavily shaded to make a call. Many libraries carry back issues of the magazine.

Roger Hinman

On Dec 13, 2016, at 8:59 AM, frograbbit602@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I have on the workbench a  recently acquired Northern Pacific "3 door " Resin Parts refrigerator kit  by Stan Rydarowicz, series 91500 to 91999. The reefers were built in the NP Brainerd Shops in 1954. I have found good photos, "A" end only, one color ( Bob's Photos ) and one black and white, NP 91835, a Wade Stevenson photo on the NP Historical Assoc. website. I also found the equipment drawing for this series of reefers on the NPRHA site. Even with this data I still need help. The kit has a Morton running board and brake platform  which I can not verify are correct. And, as I have only been able to find photos of "A" end I do not know the brake wheel. Do you have any data on these reefers to help with my unknowns?  In advance I Thank You for your time and effort to respond to my request for help.

Happy Holidays, Lester Breuer

Walter

I would suggest looking at rr.fallenflags.com, there are three pictures of the three door reefers. They have renumbered to the WFE 705 series.

Lenny Ohrnell

Matt Herson

Lester,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. My notes indicate Ajax brake wheel and Morton running board and brake step. Have been able to verify the Ajax brake wheel from a photo in my collection but no photo evidence for the Morton running board although I believe that to be correct.

Matt Herson

I have on the workbench a  recently acquired Northern Pacific "3 door " Resin Parts refrigerator kit  by Stan Rydarowicz, series 91500 to 91999. The reefers were built in the NP Brainerd Shops in 1954. I have found good photos, "A" end only, one color ( Bob's Photos ) and one black and white, NP 91835, a Wade Stevenson photo on the NP Historical Assoc. website. I also found the equipment drawing for this series of reefers on the NPRHA site. Even with this data I still need help. The kit has a Morton running board and brake platform  which I can not verify are correct. And, as I have only been able to find photos of "A" end I do not know the brake wheel. Do you have any data on these reefers to help with my unknowns?  In advance I Thank You for your time and effort to respond to my request for help.
Happy Holidays, Lester Breuer

Gene Deimling

The 1947 order had Morton running boards. The 1949 and 1954 orders came with Apex. I obtained this information from Rick Leach.

Gene Deimling

Tim O'Connor

Lester

Since we're supposed to use proper terminology, a better description for this door
is a "double hinged door" - It's a 2-part swing door like most other ice reefers, but
the left hand side can be partly opened, or fully opened, for a variable size opening.

I'll send you a photo showing the B end. It shows a stamped brake wheel and APEX rb.

Tim O'Connor