Topics

NYC 91199

Ted Culotta

I have an extremely poor quality photo NYC 91199, a 50' single door car stenciled for auto body service. Below the NYC oval emblem is "AUTO BODY CAR" and below that is what I cannot make out from my print. The first line below that looks like "M-40" (although stating that it is M-40 puts me on extremely shaky terrain) and below that should be something like:

WHEN EMPTY RETURN
TO NYC RR CITY STATE

with the city and state being ????

Does anyone have a better version of this print where they can discern the stencils? Free decals* for the winner (decals are not just for this group of cars, but all the 50', 8' door opening cars built 1939-1945 for NYC and P&LE).

*HO scale

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Ted

Benjamin Hom

Ted Culotta asked:
I have an extremely poor quality photo NYC 91199, a 50' single door car stenciled for auto body service. Below the NYC oval emblem is "AUTO BODY CAR" and below that is what I cannot make out from my print. The first line below that looks like "M-40" (although stating that it is M-40 puts me on extremely shaky terrain) and below that should be something like:

WHEN EMPTY RETURN
TO NYC RR CITY STATE

with the city and state being ????

Does anyone have a better version of this print where they can discern the stencils? Free decals* for the winner (decals are not just for this group of cars, but all the 50', 8' door opening cars built 1939-1945 for NYC and P&LE)."

This is the photo in question (and possibly the same print Ted has on hand):

Ben Hom

John Riba

Seth Lakin

The car is assigned to Oldsmobile  Lansing Mich. for sheet metal parts.

The car is listed on page 60 (page 94 of the PDF) in Freight Cars Assigned to Special Service on the MCRR dated June 1947.

The file can be found on the Canada Southern website located here

The booklet lists many NYC cars assigned to the automotive industry. It lists both loading and receiving locations for some cars.

Seth Lakin
Michigan City, IN