Topics

Ulrich offset triple hopper prototype

D. Scott Chatfield

I was recently given a nice example of the old Ulrich 3-bay hopper.  It is unusual in having 12-panel offset sides. Was this design only owned by the B&LE?

B&LE 76857 is stuffed and mounted at thr Conneaut, Ohio depot museum.

Scott Chatfield

Todd Sullivan

Hi Scott,

I researched this model years ago, and the only prototype I could find is the B&LE hopper.

Someone else may have unearthed another prototype.

Todd Sullivan

Bud Rindfleisch

Scott,
   I think B&LE was the only road that had these new, but I have a photo of one in Union RR lettering, bought second hand from the B&LE maybe?
    Bud Rindfleisch

Charles Tapper

Some did go to Union RR, but I do not know which ones, or when ( or if in list time frame) off the top of my head.  Probably not what you are looking for.

CJT
Broken Arrow

On Dec 16, 2016, at 11:28 PM, blindog blindog@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I was recently given a nice example of the old Ulrich 3-bay hopper.  It is unusual in having 12-panel offset sides. Was this design only owned by the B&LE?

B&LE 76857 is stuffed and mounted at thr Conneaut, Ohio depot museum.

Scott Chatfield

Tim O'Connor

Were any of the Carbon County Railway hopper cars of this same design? I know

they had the same double clasp brakes as found on other United States Steel road hoppers.

Tim O'Connor

Some did go to Union RR, but I do not know which ones, or when ( or if in list time frame) off the top of my head.  Probably not what you are looking for.

CJT

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <timboconnor@...> wrote :

Were any of the Carbon County Railway hopper cars of this same design? I know

they had the same double clasp brakes as found on other United States Steel road hoppers.

Tim O'Connor

  Whoa Tim. The B&M acquired what I was told were some ex-B&LE hoppers for gravel or

ballast work in the 1968-1972 era that definitely had double clasp brakes. Being too late for

my modeling interests I paid little attention to them. Should I have? Could these also have

been of the car type being discussed?

Cordially, Don Valentine

Charles Tapper

Don Strack has some information on his Utah Rails site. And he gives evidence some twin hoppers from the B&LE were leased and speculates about a possibility of triple hoppers as well. I am remembering that B&LE may have had triples of two different designs, the 90 Ton like the Ulrich and a 70 ton design? Wish I could be more helpful but I've not been digging into this lately. Link to Utah Rails.

My B&LE car diagrams are in OKC.

Charlie Tapper
Broken Arrow

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:03 PM, "riverman_vt@... [STMFC]" wrote:

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Were any of the Carbon County Railway hopper cars of this same design? I know
they had the same double clasp brakes as found on other United States Steel road hoppers.

Tim O'Connor

  Whoa Tim. The B&M acquired what I was told were some ex-B&LE hoppers for gravel or
ballast work in the 1968-1972 era that definitely had double clasp brakes. Being too late for
my modeling interests I paid little attention to them. Should I have? Could these also have
been of the car type being discussed?

Cordially, Don Valentine

D. Scott Chatfield

The Carbon County 3-bays I've seen were 9-panel offsets.

Scott Chatfield