Topics

US&S Model 1911A1 Pistols

railsnw@...

Hello All,

Beside an interest in steam era freight cars I have an interest in World War Two history. Found this interesting video on making of a model 1911A1 .45 automatic pistol by Union Switch & Signal Co. during WW2. US&S made the 2nd smallest number of pistols at 55,000. It is interesting seeing the receiver milled out of a block of steel.

As to freight car relevance, at 9:46 crates of the pistols are loaded into a Santa Fe "El Capitan" box car and later is a shot of a freight train departing and a streetcar in the background. This movie is in color.

Richard Wilkens

CARVING .45 CALIBER AUTOMATICS OUT OF STEEL WWII UNION SWITCH AND SIGNAL MOVIE 44524

spsalso

THAT is a neat find.  On so many levels.

Thanks,

Ed

Edward Sutorik

rob.mclear3@...

Nice film of freight cars at the end and like others I need to invest in more SS cars.  Does anyone know who the yellow car in the film would have belonged to.

Rob McLear
Aussie.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

I think it is lettered MKT.