From: "'Joe Melhorn' toyman@sbcglobal.net [STMFC]" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2016 10:36 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Stripping resin castings

Hi all,

While not directly related to steam era freight cars, I'm working on a
project that requires stripping painted resin castings. The castings were
painted with Testor's Spray Enamel. Since a lot of the members here buy and
build resin freight cars, does anyone have a method that works for them. I
tried using Scalecoat II wash Away on some painted resin steps and it caused
the steps to shrivel up and turn rubbery. I'm reluctant to continue trying
to strip the remaining pieces using the Wash Away. Any help would be
appreciated.

Regards,

Joe Melhorn
Sahuarita, AZ

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Joe Melhorn" <toyman@sbcglobal.net>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Fred Jansz

I'm using Dot3/4 brake fluid. How long it takes depends on the paint. Most of the times works fine. Some acrylic paints are rather stubborn and might take a day or two in the bath.
cheers, Fred Jansz

Benjamin Hom

Fred Jansz wrote:
"I'm using Dot3/4 brake fluid. How long it takes depends on the paint. Most of the times works fine. Some acrylic paints are rather stubborn and might take a day or two in the bath."

ON RESIN? I think not. DO NOT USE BRAKE FLUID TO STRIP RESIN. You will end up with a blob instead of kit components or a model.

Ben Hom

John Sykes III

Thanks for the heads up.  I was going to use Wash-Away or butyl cellosolve  to prep some resin models for painting.  Sylvan Models recommends Dio-Sol, which doesn't exist any more, so I was trying to find a substitute.  They say mineral spirits is not strong enough.  Am now thinking of using Xylenes (a/k/a Xylol) to remove the mold release prior to painting.  Any other suggestions??  Lacquer thinner?  Last time I did a resin model I painted it with Floquil so I didn't have  any problems with mold release.

-- John

Pierre Oliver

Now I'm a tad confused. Are you stripping paint or prepping a new kit?

New kits, other than Sylvan's only require a wash with something like Dawn or Shout to remove mold releases. Sylvan's mold release needs lacquer thinner to remove.

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 12/31/16 9:54 AM, johnsykesiii@... [STMFC] wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.  I was going to use Wash-Away or butyl cellosolve  to prep some resin models for painting.  Sylvan Models recommends Dio-Sol, which doesn't exist any more, so I was trying to find a substitute.  They say mineral spirits is not strong enough.  Am now thinking of using Xylenes (a/k/a Xylol) to remove the mold release prior to painting.  Any other suggestions??  Lacquer thinner?  Last time I did a resin model I painted it with Floquil so I didn't have  any problems with mold release.

-- John

Clark Cooper

He's stripping paint.

I've seen people use 91% rubbing alcohol to good effect on styrene models. Anybody know what that might do to a resin model?

-Clark Cooper

On 12/31/16 9:54 AM, johnsykesiii@yahoo.com [STMFC] wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to use Wash-Away or butyl cellosolve to prep some resin models for painting. Sylvan Models recommends Dio-Sol, which doesn't exist any more, so I was trying to find a substitute. They say mineral spirits is not strong enough. Am now thinking of using Xylenes (a/k/a Xylol) to remove the mold release prior to painting. Any other suggestions?? Lacquer thinner? Last time I did a resin model I painted it with Floquil so I didn't have any problems with mold release.

-- John

Andy Carlson

I can tell you what NOT to use........  I once tried stripping a resin box car body with Acetone, as I knew that was the primary solvent used for Accu-Paint. The paint came off well, but the resin car body was damaged beyond salvation.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

He's stripping paint.

I've seen people use 91% rubbing alcohol to good effect on styrene models.  Anybody know what that might do to a resin model?

-Clark Cooper

Tim O'Connor

Likewise, be CAREFUL with CA "debonders". Most of them contain acetone, but
if you shop carefully you can find them without acetone.

Tim

I can tell you what NOT to use........  I once tried stripping a resin box car body with Acetone, as I knew that was the primary solvent used for Accu-Paint. The paint came off well, but the resin car body was damaged beyond salvation.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

He's stripping paint.

I've seen people use 91% rubbing alcohol to good effect on styrene models.  Anybody know what that might do to a resin model?

-Clark Cooper

Joseph Melhorn

I am attempting to strip Testor's spray can enamel from my resin parts. While searching the 'net for solutions, I saw where someone recommended using Lacquer thinner. I have a couple of small pieces that I may try it on. I'll report back on my findings.

Thanks for all of the replies,

Joe Melhorn
Sahuarita, AZ

frograbbit602

John wrote, "Sylvan Models recommends Dio-Sol, which doesn't exist any more, so I was trying to find a substitute."
If you want Dio-Sol you can make your own with a formula provided by a chemistry teacher in this group years back. The formula was: 50%. Xylene and 50% Toulene. I can purchase both of these products in the paint department in my local hardware or home improvement stores in MN. I still use this home mixed Dio-Sol for thinning solvent paints.
I have never had to strip resin so I can not say if it is the correct product to use for that purpose. I have washed resin castings with purchased or home mixed Dio-Sol in the past years ( at least 5 years ago) with no ill effects. Since then I have used Dawn dishwashing soap as others have suggested.
Lester Breuer

Bill Welch

PLEASE, PLEASE take Joe Binish up on his offer and DO NOT subject resin ANYTHING  to chemicals—PLEASE

Bill Welch

John Sykes III

Bill:

Sandblasting will not remove the mold release that I need to get off in order to paint my models.  I am not removing paint, I am removing mold release.  You need a solvent for that.  I know that the Sylvan Models will take xylenes with no problem, 'cause I already tried that.  Toluene is a bit stronger than xylenes, but I will test a mixture on some spare parts (I don't need a fifth wheel for a dump truck).  I have a sandblaster and it leaves a surface that is too rough for my purposes.  I am going for a high-gloss finish on these truck models (especially the three fire engines I have -- these trucks are from the early 1950's, so they are in the right era for this group.

-- John

rob.mclear3@...

I have used 91% isopropyl without harmful effects to strip resin when making mistakes in painting, and given that different manufacturers may use different types of resin I always test first on a spare part or part of the flash that has been removed.   However I wash to remove mould release in detergent and distilled water.

Rob McLear
Aussie.

Scott

John,

Have you tried baking soda instead of the aluminium oxide?

Scott McDonald

riverman_vt@...

---In STMFC@..., <repairman87@...> wrote :

John,

Have you tried baking soda instead of the aluminium oxide?

Scott McDonald

   Or even aluminum oxide with a lowered air pressure? Don't know what you are using for paint
but I've had little problem with washing resin molded models with Dawn and an old tooth brush
before painting them with Scale Coat or Accu-paint, now Tru-Color.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Bill Welch

In my experience Baking Soda is not aggressive enough to remove paint. Great for surface prep on styrene and resin, not removing paint.

Bill Welch

John Sykes III

Sylvan Models vehicles are urethane resin, different from many other resin models.  The mold release they use is different as well and needs  a more aggressive cleaning before painting.

Now, I am not sure if they assume that most people are using acrylic paints these days, which requires a surface totally free of any residue in order to stick.  I still use solvent-based paints (primarily ScaleCoat I and II) so that may not be as much of a problem.  I guess I'll find out when we have painting weather again this spring (i.e, when my garage warms back up).

-- John

Bill Welch

Funaro & Camerlengo also claims to use "unique" resin. Just once I would like to see evidence to substantiate such claims.

Bill Welch

Pierre Oliver

Funaro's resin is as unique as Sylvan's. It's all Smooth-on product.

Sylvan using a more aggressive mold release agent so as to get more mold life. Simple.

Don't be fooled by the hype