Topics

STMFC@yahoogroups.com

Armand Premo

I"ll preface my remarks by saying I am somewhat of a Klutz at times.While working on a project my work bench gets cluttered.I waste too much time searching for a specific tool in a "Sea of Silver".Short of stopping in the middle of the project to clean up my  my work bench,are there any suggestion such as color coding tools that would help speed up production? Armand Premo

Pierre Oliver

I have found that the only really effective solution is discipline yourself. Every tool has a place and it always goes back to that place. EVERYTIME!

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 1/01/17 4:57 PM, Armand Premo arm.p.prem@... [STMFC] wrote:

I"ll preface my remarks by saying I am somewhat of a Klutz at times.While working on a project my work bench gets cluttered.I waste too much time searching for a specific tool in a "Sea of Silver".Short of stopping in the middle of the project to clean up my  my work bench,are there any suggestion such as color coding tools that would help speed up production? Armand Premo

Todd Sullivan

What Pierre mentions is part of the 5S discipline used in industry.  The concept of the Visual Workshop is also part of it.  There's a good explanation of 5S in Wikipedia -

ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5S_(methodology)

Like most quality-oriented methodologies, setting it up requires the most effort and discipline.  If you can muster the discipline to set it up, it is easier to keep things in order.

Todd Sullivan
(ex-quality inspector, writer, auditor, ...)

Mark Vinski

   Color coding does help. I have different colored handles for various knife blades and stripes on Phillips screw drivers to differentiate them from the flat bladed type.

Mark Vinski

gary laakso

I share your challenge at the work table and to help organize tools, parts and decals, I use Westerfield, Atheran and other similar boxes with lids.  The boxes are open, so if I need pliers/tweezers they are in a box that I can see.  Same with brake parts and the like.

Gary Laakso
south of Mike Brock until Thursday!

On Jan 1, 2017, at 4:57 PM, Armand Premo arm.p.prem@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I"ll preface my remarks by saying I am somewhat of a Klutz at times.While working on a project my work bench gets cluttered.I waste too much time searching for a specific tool in a "Sea of Silver".Short of stopping in the middle of the project to clean up my  my work bench,are there any suggestion such as color coding tools that would help speed up production? Armand Premo

Bill Welch

Just a thought, here is a modular organizing system. A headache for me is paint.

Bill Welch

genegreen1942@...

That modular organizing system looks quite handy and the prices seem pretty good, too.  Apparently "some assembly required."  Does anyone know of what material the various parts are made?  I couldn't seem to find that information on the website.  I especially liked the paint bottle storage.
Gene Green