"Freight Train (1954)"

al_brown03

Lots of STMFCs in this one. I especially like the two rebuilt tank cars in the opening sequence. Not sure if the link will work: it's on YouTube.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Freight Train (1954)

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

It worked, at least for me. Thanks for posting this... unlike most other non-railroad produced films, this one was actually pretty well done.

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA

On Monday, January 2, 2017 2:11 PM, "abrown@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Lots of STMFCs in this one. I especially like the two rebuilt tank cars in the opening sequence. Not sure if the link will work: it's on YouTube.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Al,

Thanks for posting the link to this film. Really cool freight cars (sadly, no steam locomotives though). There were some surprises here.

The multi-dome tank cars at :42 and :44 are really interesting, though I couldn't read the reporting marks.

Note the SFRD reefers at 4:54. All appear to have the reversed hatch covers, and some still have the wooden hatch platforms. A plug-door SFRD car with normally-oriented hatch covers is at 8:43.

I was also pleased to see the NH 10' boxcar with the large script lettering. I have one of these in my collection, and thought this paint scheme might be too late for the 1950s.

The tank car just before the caboose at 6:09 appears to be lettered CHAX 838 [?] , a Chartland's car, and is stenciled "soy bean oil". It also appears to be missing one of its journal box lids. That isn't the same tank seen next to the caboose at 10:26.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/2/17 5:11 PM, abrown@... [STMFC] wrote:

Lots of STMFCs in this one. I especially like the two rebuilt tank cars in the opening sequence. Not sure if the link will work: it's on YouTube.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Freight Train (1954)

Paul Doggett <paul.doggett2472@...>

Thanks for sharing.

On Tue, 3 Jan, 2017 at 10:33, Garth Groff sarahsan@... [STMFC]
wrote:

[...]

Rod Miller

Interesting to note some PFE reefers around 10:19. Somehow I
got the idea that the AT&SF avoided PFE cars and the PFE partners
avoided AT&SF cars.

Freight Train (1954) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtm7SQfNppM>

image <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtm7SQfNppM>

Freight Train (1954) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtm7SQfNppM>
Shows how the cars in a freight train are scheduled, inspected and assembled.
Follows the fast freight number 40 on its journey from Kansas City to Chicago. ...

View on www.youtube.com <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtm7SQfNppM>

Preview by Yahoo
--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman

Tony Thompson

Rod Miller wrote:

Interesting to note some PFE reefers around 10:19. Somehow I
got the idea that the AT&SF avoided PFE cars and the PFE partners
avoided AT&SF cars.

     As for LOADING cars, you are very right. Both organizations promptly returned their competitor's empties and loaded their own cars. But shippers chose routing, so a PFE car could readily run on Santa Fe, or an SFRD car on SP and UP, regardless of whose tracks they were loaded on. There are lots of photos showing that.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Could be stock footage spliced in - there's no reason to think all
of the film is from the same train.

Tim O'

Interesting to note some PFE reefers around 10:19. Somehow I
got the idea that the AT&SF avoided PFE cars and the PFE partners
avoided AT&SF cars.

Steve SANDIFER

I captured that plus the gondola loaded with spools.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Lots of STMFCs in this one. I especially like the two rebuilt tank cars in the opening sequence. Not sure if the link will work: it's on YouTube.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Freight Train (1954)

image

Freight Train (1954)