Question from the archives

Dave Nelson

Tonight I was looking for information about Shell Oil tankcars (RPX, SCCX, and SCMX) wondering when some of them were painted yellow.  I found Richard H. answered this question waaaay back in 2002 (it being back in the 20’s, too early for my interests).  A follow up from Jon Miller prompts this post: Jon gently kidded Richard that it was about time he write that tank car book he had been considering for so long.

My question tonight is did Richard actually start, finish, or see published that book?

And speaking of Richard (may he rest in peace), anyone know what the state of affairs are at the CSRM WRT his bequeathed collection?

Dave Nelson

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 1/2/2017 8:04 PM, 'Dave Nelson' Lake_Muskoka@... [STMFC] wrote:
Tonight I was looking for information about Shell Oil tankcars (RPX, SCCX, and SCMX) wondering when some of them were painted yellow.  I found Richard H. answered this question waaaay back in 2002 (it being back in the 20’s, too early for my interests).  A follow up from Jon Miller prompts this post: Jon gently kidded Richard that it was about time he write that tank car book he had been considering for so long.

Santa Fe Railway
Rolling Stock Reference Series - Volume Five
Santa Fe Tank Cars
by Richard H. Hendrickson and Richard W. Pelouze
2004

If this is the one you are wondering about.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Tony Thompson

Dave Nelson wrote:

A follow up from Jon Miller prompts this post: Jon gently kidded Richard that it was about time he write that tank car book he had been considering for so long. My question tonight is did Richard actually start, finish, or see published that book?

        I urged Richard many times to just make a start on that book, and of course I stood ready to publish it. Unfortunately, he never really found the energy to take on what would have been a big task. His pride in "doing it right" would have required mammoth research. I retrieved from his computer a file called "Tank Car Book," but it only contained some miscellaneous photos and brief texts, probably just a pigeonhole for "stuff" that came along. He could have written a wonderful book even with just what he could recall from his own memory, but it just didn't happen

 And speaking of Richard (may he rest in peace), anyone know what the state of affairs are at the CSRM WRT his bequeathed collection?

      The collection has been gone over carefully, removed from Richard's photo album "magnetic" sticky pages, and placed in archival folders, and his organization scheme, by car types and then alphabetically by owner, has been preserved. As far as I know it is accessible, though I have not personally used it since it has been at CSRM. (Over the years I did scan a lot of his stuff I was personally interested in, so have a file of my own). If anyone does use, or attempt to use, the collection at CSRM, please keep this list posted on results.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Dave Nelson

Ahh. what a shame he didn't get to it.

WRT my question about CSRM, thanks for the info. I'll try and make time to
look next time I'm in Sacxramento.

Dave Nelson